Weirdest place to have a seizure???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The weirdest place I remember ever having a tc seizure is this past weekend in an elevator, with two friends and a bunch of people I'd never seen before including a couple of kids. My friends are also on the Epilepsy Assoc board of directors so of course we stalled all of our activities for 20-30 minutes and taught them about the seizure stuff.

Mine last complex partial was at work, -- a summer day camp for kids, stumbled out of the room, and my co-workers got the kids out of the house because apparently I scared them with my incoherent mumbling and staggering. Came out of it super tired and cranky and yelled at my coworker who was trying to help me :p good thing he got over it!

It wasn't a seizure, but I had a cataplexic episode after spending the day in bed with my fiance. That was so awkward. I started stumbling down the hall naked and then did that funny slump to the ground. Woke up in the shower with him holding me up and gently slapping my face. I was so embarrassed that I cried XD

Weird place for seizures for me?...would be the back of the college that's where I had my first TC, all I remember is waking up in a wheelchair with a split lip and a broken tooth and also the shop in the hospital I just remember waking up with a crowd around me and the EMTs trying to put an oxygen mask on me and me pushing it off with all my strength saying that I couldn't breathe and I needed space. Poor health services they do have it tough with me :)

Weird place for seizures for me?...would be the back of the college that's where I had my first TC, all I remember is waking up in a wheelchair with a split lip and a broken tooth and also the shop in the hospital I just remember waking up with a crowd around me and the EMTs trying to put an oxygen mask on me and me pushing it off with all my strength saying that I couldn't breathe and I needed space. Poor health services they do have it tough with me :)

I'm lucky. I've always been laying down when a TC comes on. Yikes, a broken tooth... and you probably had no idea what happened at first.

I get Gelastic Seizures. Some don't know what they are. I'll explain. They happen when I sleep or doze. My seizures consist of me standing up, squirming or walking around, depending on how much room, I then start Laughing. The worst place I had one was like lots of us, "at a funeral". It's hard when you start laughing out loud when prayers are being said. Problem is not even people with Epilepsy know what they are. You should have seen the faces. LOL

Everyday above ground is a good day.

Oh yeah, I was a sophomore in college taking the required communications 101 course when I had a seizure in front of the class sometime in the first few weeks of school. But in the future years I took lots of other comm classes that required X many presentations and a few journalism classes. That first seizure gave me a great opportunity to have a theme in my following college years. It also made it easier for me to prepare for a lot of stuff.

fleshhopw -- thanks for the input on the gelastic seizures -- I just sent you a private message about those, but I can certainly see how they could be embarrassing when they pop up at inconvenient times.

That's pretty much how we began to realize (a few months ago) that whenever our Jonathan was laughing and giggling that it was sometimes a seizure -- especially when at inappropriate times. His teachers noticed it first -- he'd be giggling right through class when nothing was funny.

One thing we've noticed even more recently is that Jonathan now rarely has REAL laughter.

Mine was a seizure in 10th grade when the pep rally in my school was going on. I shouldn't have gone so up on the bleachers when I knew I was feeling an aura(that was the first time I had an aura, so I was a bit confused if it really was an aura). Eventually I guess I had a tonic-clonic in front of the whole school. I remember the parameds getting me into the ambulance and getting annoyed when they asked questions like what's your name or what's the date

They did a drug screen on me when i was in the hospital a couple weeks ago (same event as the one with the punks). Normally i'd come out of it enough to refuse to go to hospital but this time i didn't really have much choice in the matter.

As soon as the blood tests came back the doc very abruptly said i could go and then wandered off.

Perhaps they were actually disappointed that i'm not a drug taking sort of person? I dunno lol.

Ooooh man. I almost had a drug test when I ended up in the ER because I was afraid I was going to have a seizure. This was after my first T/C seizure, so when I first felt the same feelings I had before THAT seizure (what I NOW know as an aura/simple partial), I freaked out and went to the clinic (I was working with them a lot, so I knew all the staff), and they told me to go to the ER - which I did NOT want. They even called an ambulance (wtf?) Once I got there one of the nurses told me they wanted to give me a drug test, but didn't understand why (they didn't). I was really offended. This is when they diagnosed me with exhaustion and told me I needed to sleep/rest for the rest of the day. Which I did, despite being in the middle of summer training and everything being crazy hectic. I probably WAS exhausted, which is what caused it all in the first place I'm sure. These brilliant people obviously knew NOTHING about epilepsy, or they would have referred me back to a neurologist when I said I felt like I was going to have a seizure and I had a history of them (well, one). *Sigh*...

Ouch! Katzy! Pep rally in front of entire high school? I can imagine that must have been pretty awful.

Jonathan's latest is having them while on the toilet -- that's happened twice now.

In the shower.....but the amusing part i came round with a towel over me freezing cold and two of my closest friends (both lesbian) telling me they were arguing about which side they were going to cover up! I was so embarrassed and cried in the bathroom for a hour before going to face the ladies.
One of the ladies is a best friend these days and does still give me stick for it. But I can see the funny side of it

I went to see a west end musical a few weeks ago and had a fit during the part where they come out and bow. I didn't feel right but I didn't want to say anything because the people I was with (I was on a school trip) were enjoying the show and the next thing I remember was a teacher and my best friend shouting at people to back off and give me space! I was fine though luckily I was slumped in my chair! Another teacher had to help me on the coach it was so embarrassing only the teachers and my best friend know about my fits so it was a shock to everyone else I just brushed it off and I said I was fine when they asked me how I was. I got asked a lot it if I was OK it's nice but it's a bit overwhelming and I don't like it! :/

I had one in dunkin donuts recently...my brother said he heard a "THUNK" and turned around and I had faceplanted on the counter :paperbag: I do better with caffeine in my system, I told them I needed a coffee earlier!

On a school bus at age 16.....what a mess! they had to evacuate everybody and bring in another bus and i freaked incoherently, begged the bus driver for my cell phone so I could text someone I hadn't been friends with for a while, and told the EMT i was 12 :paperbag: I remember none of this. This one led to my diagnosis. the bus driver told me the story the next day and then afterwards it was ruled by the company i was to no longer ride the bus. oh well

I was singing in a church that happenned to be mostly black, and I had a solo,lol It was so funny, I went into a grand mal and every one shouted Haleluia! Till I woke up and said ssss! my head hurts. I had know I deah where I was at the time. But a couple of days later this pastor told me it was my fault I had epilepsy and I was living in sin. Now I am a mother with a child with aspergers, epilepsy and the biggest heart in the world.Is he living in sin? Thats crazy.

I guess that pastor hadn't been reading his Bible -- John 9 deals with that issue pretty thoroughly.

Tottenham court station tube station.. it first time i had partial i jump into arms of down and out.second time had one was same place and same down and out.....it made travel ontube very hard since

Today I had a small series while leaning up against a building sitting on the sidewalk while watching a Rememberance Day parade. Or possibly known as Veterans Day elsewhere?
I was with my family who were near by. My daughter would come beside me and I would feel her little hands on my shoulder, she likes to be by my side. Maybe because when we're outside alone I tell her not to leave me (more for her safety). At one point my husband heard someone say look at that woman, and she has a child with her! But they just walked on.
One concerned man was going to do something until my husband nearby said, don't worry, she's with me.
Most people did just walk by. Granted, my seizures don't look like the sterotypical seizure for they are motor like and my head turns to the side and my arm goes up while my body tightens. But I felt a bit like a homeless person whom everyone sees but tries to ignore.

It's as if we need to wear big signs that say "I'm not drunk, I'm not off my rocker, I have epilepsy and I'm having seizures." And the passers-by need to wear signs to say "I'm not blind, I'm not deaf, I'm just freaking ignorant and insensitive."

Back
Top Bottom