went to the epilepsy clinic today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
I saw the neuro and he thinks I may have sleep apnea. al:ponder:so seizures as well but he doesn't know the cause. I will have a sleep study done and a three day VEEG. I know some of you on here have sleep apnea does your seizure meds help you? My seizures are nearly gone since I started klorapin I think I spelled that right. The neuro said that some of my seizures like just stairing off and being unaware can be caused by sleep apnea. Can you have tc seizures too and it be sleep apnea related?

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly is a good path to learn about HH. I don't have any experience with the subject, so you will have to wait for others that have been diagnosed. I would wait until you have the sleep study done, but unless you get seizures often, the VEEG might not give you any clues. Except it might be used in conjunction with the sleep study. I am not sure about that.

You can be our research study for this. Keep good notes.
Also be aware that hypoglycemia can also cause seizures, and blood sugar can drop during sleep. Just thought I would give you something else to learn about.

Mmmmm, I

had sleep apnea, and my seizures were somewhat aggravated by it. But, my sleep apnea was also brought on by weight gain due to the seizure meds (Depakote in particular---I gained well over 100 pounds).

Once the doc changed my meds, and I started to drop some weight, I regained control again......except when I screwed up, and didn't take meds, or something like that.

I'll let you guys know what I find out.I am overweight but I think its because of the asthma meds. I've been overweight since i had my daughter at 17.I'll have to talk with the doctor about a healthy diet. Robin what does your daughter eat on a daily basis. i know I'd have to have lower cals though. I really just dont know what to eat. I have no appetite, i tend to eat crackers or grapes ,maybe a fruit bar and nomally pasta for dinner.

well I go in on the 4th of sept for the veeg. hope they find something. I have to go off my meds .Oh what fun.

I saw the neuro and he thinks I may have sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea lowers your blood oxygen and thus your seizure threshold at night. It also interrupts your sleep all night - preventing you from getting all the benefits of deep, uninterrupted sleep (incuding the production of seratonin and other important chemicals).

Check out these sleep apnea threads.

I will have the sleep study done on the 28th and the three day veeg starting on the 4th. This is silly to say but I hope I have a seizure or I'm going to be pissed. They are taking my meds away weaning me off one of them one week before and no keppra while I'm there. Can anyone give me a simple list of foods i should and shouldn't eat in order to lose some weight and good for overall health.

I'm having the sleep study tonight. i can't take a nap and I'm so tired. Blaa. I hope they find something. I'll be all alone tonight first night I've ever been away from my son. :(

well nothing came of the sleep study according to the tech.i only slept for a couple of hours now back to work. Cleaning up the house taking care of everything.

well nothing came of the sleep study according to the tech.i only slept for a couple of hours now back to work. Cleaning up the house taking care of everything.

I'm sorry nothing came of the study!(? right? *L*)

I have sleep apnea and I am supposed to use a CPap but I can't. Due to events as a child, I can not be restrained in any way, so I eventually take the mask/nose attachment off while asleep and thus don't get the benefits of the machine. The first couple of nights for some reason I didn't remove the mask, and I tell ya it was the best sleep my big butt has gotten in years, but...

As for the video study of your seizures, if you don't have seizures often what is this supposed to show? My neuro mentioned it for me, then remembered I've only had 2 KNOWN and 2 assumed big seizures and legions of my "spells" and it wouldn't prove anything.

If it doesn't show anything, I would suggest doing as I've seen mentioned on here allot, keeping a seizure diary.

Look at me, showing my :bigmouth: again. Sorry, didn't sleep last night...

thanks I really hoped they would find something so I didn't look crazy. They are taking me off meds for the veeg and before meds I had seizures daily. But guess who probably wont have any problems there and look like a nut again.

thanks I really hoped they would find something so I didn't look crazy. They are taking me off meds for the veeg and before meds I had seizures daily. But guess who probably wont have any problems there and look like a nut again.

Well, here's wishing you seizures then :D (man that feels weird saying *L* :roflmao: )

Back
Top Bottom