Were Can I Get This Help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I have seizures and every time I go to the hospital my friends Denise and my mother in law make all my medical decisions and I keeps telling my husband that I don't want them to. Plus when my husband get a little overwhelmed he doesnt speak up, is there any way or paper I can get to fill out saying or telling my doc or the doctor at the time what I do an don't want? With the doctors really doing what I say? Is this even possible and whats is this system called and how much is it?

Its called power of attorney and you need to go down to some family law office to have the proper legal paperwork filled out.

what I do not understand is why your friend and mother in law are even being spoken to about your medical condition or listened to. Legally they are only allowed to speak to immediate family (meaning your side of the family) and any medical descisions are to be made by the closest available family memeber. in this case your husband. What you need to do is make sure your hospital records show him as your immediate contact and decision maker by phoning your hospital;s record department and going down to sign the changes.

You can also make clear to them that if they take orders from anyone other than the people you list, you will sue them.

Your regular doctor should not be sharing information without your consent. The ER docs may be under different constraints. You might want to contact your local ER, and talk to someone about the regulations for patient confidentiality and instructions for medical proxy, and see if you can have that info placed in your files for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom