What does your doctor NOT let you do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It was suggested that Rebecca not swim alone, but that is a good rule for everyone. If she takes a bath, someone needs to be nearby. Everything else was kept open.

Her brother who does NOT have epilepsy, fell off of a 40 ft. cliff in the dark (luckily to sand below). Life is dangerous... enjoy it while you can.

My doc said that i should probably avoid baths and have showers instead, but in all honesty i'm so much more likely to hurt myself in the shower. My bath is so tiny that i can sit up in it, but not lie down or possibly even get my head into it.

Showers are much quicker though, and there's usually someone in the house.

lets see, i have had a bunch of seizures in showers and woke up in the basin before so thats not really shocking.

I had to give up my lifegaurd cert. motorcycles, cars, most video games. Delta airlines kicked me off once and made me get a doctors release. been kicked off a train, I think a bus once after a seizure. it has been a surprisingly long 3 years truthfully.
and I have had a seizure while swimming, luckily a friend of mine was with me to drag me out, not my most stunning preformance.

They kicked you off a bus for having a seizure? Isn't that illegal? And a train? Maybe time to call the EEOC..... humph. what uninformed jerks. sorry you were on the other end of that.

No driving, no swimming (I don't swim anyway, so no loss there!), not supposed to jetski (but I do anyway, just not alone), not supposed to go boating (but I do anyway, just not alone), showers only (pssh! as if!), not supposed to be on ladders...which is kind of a joke because I'm short, so how the heck am I supposed to reach anything :roflmao: . Basically, the usual stuff. Also, they don't really like me biking, but I wear a helmet and am careful and if I'm having an "off" day, I walk instead. Since I actually do listen to them on the "no driving" bit, how else am I supposed to get around?

.. most video games. ..

Forgot about those. Even though no seizures from playing, I've had to stop because of the strange sensations I get during and afterwards.

No problem, but in high school it would have been a major adjustment.

My doc said that i should probably avoid baths and have showers instead, but in all honesty i'm so much more likely to hurt myself in the shower. My bath is so tiny that i can sit up in it, but not lie down or possibly even get my head into it.

Showers are much quicker though, and there's usually someone in the house.

This one has never made sense to me. Whether one has a bath OR a shower, seizures can/do happen regardless. I had my 1st TC seizure on my way out of the shower and as I fell I hit the hot water and lay in the tub long enough to receive 2nd and 3rd degree burns from hot water on my right arm and back.

For me, I probably should not cook either. I just received another 2nd degree burn on the same hand while I had a CP while cooking the other night.
Kitchens and bathrooms are dangerous places for me. But so is living, so I guess I shouldn't be.

Well, even though my neuro said no swimming, diving, driving, ATVing, hiking... he did say I could have 1 drink every day. Believe it or not, I'm turning down my one allowed activity. I think alcohol is a trigger for me, so I'll pass.

no swimming. everything else ok with supervision. lost driving privileges when i was a smart ass and skipped my meds. so i have a license that's useful only as photo id for a plane ride.

i take baths, ride my bike, go on roller coasters, swim, babysit (only family and if the child can call 911, but still) i've been hiking in the pochonos, camping with the girl scouts, seen the disney parades and fireworks (don't get set off by those light up toys that all the little kids have as long as they are different colors, but i get set off by the old flickery tv screens at my school. even my epilepsy can't be normal lol)

i even took karate when i was younger and did a board breaking tournement the day after my first major seizure!

There was a swimmer that was on the national scene. She began having seizures and unfortunately had to give up competitive swimming. She decided to move onto frozen ice, and became a ice hockey player. She went on to become a US Olympic athlete.

Her name is: Chandra Gunn

I only have simple partials but I accept that there are some things I may not be able to do anymore. The only thing I would absolutely not feel comfortable doing anymore is piloting a small plane. My general aviation days are over, but there are far worse things.

I, for the most part, use my own judgment. I choose not to swim and definitely not go swimming under water holding my breath. However, I might go for a swim with my husband around, but not go and do laps. My doctor also mentioned no swimming.
Another thing I'm reluctant to do is use escalators. I much prefer to use the stairs or an elevator since the idea of taking a seizure and falling down an escalator scares me.
Those are the 2 majors for me.

I can relate to your feelings about escalators. I fell down one when I was a kid...maybe 4 years old ? Never cared for them since. The movement somehow feels wrong sometimes.

Driving for 6 months (think that is Iowa law) after a TC only, since we don't know what these "other" things are. Ladders since my few TC's are day or night, no bath's, drinking and I think that's it. Everything else he left up to me.

I just figure if I don't ask, then I won't know, and I can go on as before:roflmao:

for the record, i get a warning for my seizures too, so maybe i'm allowed because i can stop what i'm doing

It was hot yesterday, and I was reminded how much i miss the water.

I'm with Court. I blatently broke the rules yesterday and went swimming. I kept my head above water as a kind of compromise. I know my epi would be extremely unhappy with me, but boy was that swim nice.

Back
Top Bottom