What is everyone paying for meds?

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I‘m on disability and now on medicare since I got laid off last year. I blew through thousands of my savings on meds. Last month I spent nearly $300 on generic meds. That’s the “coverage gap” price, or 25% of full price generic. I’m having problems with the generics, more side effects and worse control. I think both the carbamazapine and felbamate were between $120-150 each. I think last year I was paying $100 or less each. Ten years ago I think brand name Tegretol was only a few hundred at full price, I seem to remember getting everything for around $500. This is insane for 30-40 year old drugs.

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Check out good xr and you may be able to get a discount on your meds. It's crazy what they charge. My husband is also
on disability and if I didn't put him on my health insurance even though he gets medicare he would be paying over $600.00 for
one med for his diabetes.
I take vimpat and that cost over $3300.00 for a 3 month perscription. I used to take Tegretol also and the price was starting to
go up like crazy a few yrs. ago. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
My lamotrigine costs about $15/month -- because I pay nearly $800 a month for health insurance. If it weren't a "Tier 3" generic it would be a whole lot more.

Sabbo

Veteran
Reaction score
With my husband's new employer/insurance, a three month supply of all my medications costs a total of around $100. With the old companies, the same things used to cost $350!! The funny part is that they used to send the meds through their own mail order pharmacy.

Michael_M

New
Reaction score
I get my meds from the VA. Because of my low income, I have no co-pays. Honestly, I have no idea what I would do if I lost the VA.

Jeanbean

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi Matt,
I am on Medicare as well due to disability but get my meds through blue cross blue shield or whatever plan I want to use that is the most affordable to me. Every year I meet with my insurance guy and go over which plan would be the best. Do you check out the insurance plans at the time of signing up each year? I first went to a SHIP (senior health insurance program) counselor in Illinois when I got onto Medicare and she really helped me through the system. I know here we have choices of insurance plans and can compare and shop for the best deal. I pay the most for Carbamazepine it goes up as I move into another stage but it was $66.00 for 3 months this past month. I think the Depakote is $12.00 for 3 months and glaucoma eye drops are $86.00 every 3-4 months. Sometimes the company of the drug will assist with costs. It's too bad that they charge so much. I wish you the best let me know what happens. Jeanne

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
When I was on my ex-husbands insurance I paid $8 for any med. I'm on Medicare which covers a percent of the cost. I use GoodRX to help with the cost of my meds and you can't believe the difference. I'll ask about it when I pick something up and they look to see if there is a better cost. There have even been times that my pharmacy has even looked it up on themselves.

The last time I picked up a med it cost over $100. The pharmacist said "That's ridiculous" and looked it up and found it for under $20.

It's worth it to ask about it.