What is everyone paying for meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I‘m on disability and now on medicare since I got laid off last year. I blew through thousands of my savings on meds. Last month I spent nearly $300 on generic meds. That’s the “coverage gap” price, or 25% of full price generic. I’m having problems with the generics, more side effects and worse control. I think both the carbamazapine and felbamate were between $120-150 each. I think last year I was paying $100 or less each. Ten years ago I think brand name Tegretol was only a few hundred at full price, I seem to remember getting everything for around $500. This is insane for 30-40 year old drugs.

Hi Matt,

Check out good xr and you may be able to get a discount on your meds. It's crazy what they charge. My husband is also
on disability and if I didn't put him on my health insurance even though he gets medicare he would be paying over $600.00 for
one med for his diabetes.
I take vimpat and that cost over $3300.00 for a 3 month perscription. I used to take Tegretol also and the price was starting to
go up like crazy a few yrs. ago. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

My lamotrigine costs about $15/month -- because I pay nearly $800 a month for health insurance. If it weren't a "Tier 3" generic it would be a whole lot more.

With my husband's new employer/insurance, a three month supply of all my medications costs a total of around $100. With the old companies, the same things used to cost $350!! The funny part is that they used to send the meds through their own mail order pharmacy.

Hi Matt,
I am on Medicare as well due to disability but get my meds through blue cross blue shield or whatever plan I want to use that is the most affordable to me. Every year I meet with my insurance guy and go over which plan would be the best. Do you check out the insurance plans at the time of signing up each year? I first went to a SHIP (senior health insurance program) counselor in Illinois when I got onto Medicare and she really helped me through the system. I know here we have choices of insurance plans and can compare and shop for the best deal. I pay the most for Carbamazepine it goes up as I move into another stage but it was $66.00 for 3 months this past month. I think the Depakote is $12.00 for 3 months and glaucoma eye drops are $86.00 every 3-4 months. Sometimes the company of the drug will assist with costs. It's too bad that they charge so much. I wish you the best let me know what happens. Jeanne

When I was on my ex-husbands insurance I paid $8 for any med. I'm on Medicare which covers a percent of the cost. I use GoodRX to help with the cost of my meds and you can't believe the difference. I'll ask about it when I pick something up and they look to see if there is a better cost. There have even been times that my pharmacy has even looked it up on themselves.

The last time I picked up a med it cost over $100. The pharmacist said "That's ridiculous" and looked it up and found it for under $20.

It's worth it to ask about it.

Earlier this year, I had to file a "patient hardship claim" to get the copay of my 200mg Xcopri reduced. Little did I know, it expired in less than 6 months!
My husband went to pick up my refill yesterday and the pharmacist said the copay was $330--for 30 pills!! To make matters worse, because of the type of drug it is, there are 2 issues with it. 1) They can only give me a 30-day supply at one time, & 2) The earliest I can order refills is exactly 23 days after the last order (7 days before I run out). They didn't have it in stock when I placed the order, so I'm out of it now.
I refiled the hardship claim last night, and the pharmacy is holding my prescription.
Sometimes I think I was better off with the Topamax/Topiramate & Zonisamide combo despite the larger number of breakthroughs. At least there wouldn't be any cost headaches.

My portion of a three month supply of phenytoin cost me $21. The pharmacy cost was $108. It cost me zero last time. Medicare advantage pulls you in with a great policy, then changes the tier the medication is and then I pay more. Phenytoin has been around for decades.

Back
Top Bottom