What's The Diffrence Between Seizures On The Surface Of The Brian?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
My mother n law:( told me that the seizures tht happen on the surface of the brain cause brain damage but the ones that are deeper don't. Is this true and what's the Diffrence between the too?

When any seizure happens it increases the likelihood of it happening again.

Seizures originate in different parts of the brain. It doesn't matter whether they are on the surface or deeper -- the most important factors are how often they occur, how long they last, and what region of the brain they originate and/or cluster in. For example, seizures in the temporal lobe region can sometimes affect memory because of the location near the hippocampus (which plays a role in encoding and retrieving memories).

My mother n law:( told me that the seizures tht happen on the surface of the brain cause brain damage but the ones that are deeper don't. Is this true and what's the Diffrence between the too?

My understanding of how the brain works has grown since I started having seizures and since I started learning about epilepsy and mental "disorders".
Now I tend to see the brain more as a piano with pedals. When you hit a piano key the entire piano vibrates, but there are pads which mute the strings but those strings actuated by striking the keys.
Now I see epilepsy as the pedal (the foot pedal farthest to the right if I remember correctly) that lifts the mutes from all of the strings at once, making any key struck vibrate the entire piano more vigorously, more chaotically, more noisily...

the correlation isn't entirely accurate, but I think it's a fair one.

and since the higher notes vibrate more (higher frequency = higher pitch) they tend to strike more harmonic frequencies that cause more of the un-muted strings to vibrate, and thereby more of the entire piano.

In this example a "normal" brainwave function would be like striking a piano chord - an action yields an expected result, an expected tone.
An seizure piano would be where the footpad is held down and a series of notes are struck randomly - where an unanticipated brainwave function results in unanticipated chaos of sonorous body vibration.

I think it's a valid comparison and valid also in regard to how it is said that certain frequencies of flashing lights or sounds can trigger seizures.

Back
Top Bottom