• 4-6 months

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • 7-12 months

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Over 1 year

Votes: 86 54.8%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

What amazes me is that my seizures are stress related , but after being run over by a transit van and having my pelvis shattered in 3 places that didn't trigger one so thaty obviously wasn't stressfull enough for me but family life is so I'd say anyone contemplating a family should jump infront of a van first if you can handle that then think about a family if u can't handle the van then forget family ideas lol

What amazes me is that my seizures are stress related , but after being run over by a transit van and having my pelvis shattered in 3 places that didn't trigger one so thaty obviously wasn't stressfull enough for me but family life is so I'd say anyone contemplating a family should jump infront of a van first if you can handle that then think about a family if u can't handle the van then forget family ideas lol

ROFLOL! I hear ya, I can go thru some pretty freeking stressfull times, but it's after it's all over that I had a seizure..

I realized since I went to my first doctor appt that I have had these since as far back as I can remember. I never liked kids turning light on & off, or the sun flashing through the trees, my first jr high dance with the strobe light. I would get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and always move away if I could. My parents have ask why I had never said anything, and all I can figure is that I guess, I thought it was normal. This only happened once in a great while. For whatever reason the seizure hit me with a vengeance 4 years ago. I felt like I hit a wall. At first I thought I was just burnt out, but I did not get better. I started my quest with doctors, and learned that a lot of them don't really listen, and just want to write a prescription, and send you on your way. The first week I was on the meds, I felt wonderful-like my old energetic self. Then I ended up with hives. Since then I have taken 6 others, and it has been awful. I am still better, but I have not gone a day without having at least a small partial. I am now thinking that I need to consider the quality of life rather than having no seizure. Some of these meds have such side effects, small seizures seem more preferable.

Well, memory being what it is I suppose about 8 years???

neil129 said:
i dont see the point in spending all that money to get on the road just to have it taken away from me, but hey thats life.

Good point you got there Neil but I read it 1 year 3 days too late. We bought a new car last year and 16 days later I lost my license. Most expensive car we ever bought too. Oh well, like you said, "but hey thats life."

Ive made it to 4 months twice. Damn sure wish I could go longer so I could drive again. Every time I get close I get shot down!

taming the beast

It has been a year almost to date since my last t/c. I think my longest between seizures has been 8 to 10 years. I am on guard!! :bigsmile:

t/c free 1 year after surgery and then after getting on Vimpat 1 year again t/c free. Now it's time for vns for everything.

Seizure free for 4 years after a temporal lobe resection on 4/1995. Since then, it's been a wild roller coaster ride and I'd like it to stop.

Good point you got there Neil but I read it 1 year 3 days too late. We bought a new car last year and 16 days later I lost my license. Most expensive car we ever bought too. Oh well, like you said, "but hey thats life."

I had to self chuckle at that. The other year I'd been grand mal free for awhile, my husband and I had separated and I'd moved back to where my parents lived. In that state I could get a license and drive being grand mal free. Within a week of moving back I'd gotten a brand new shiny job and I bought my very first, on my own, by myself, with my credit brand new shiny car. 10 days into the job I had a triple grand mal at work. The job let me go and my new car is still sitting at my parents house. But hey, it'll be paid off shortly and it will be a low mileage car with a perfect body and interior when I'm cured! <sarcastic chuckle>

Good luck that you don't have anymore seizures Eli before you get your license back. At least when you drive again you'll have a paid off'shrowroom' condition car. That'll really be nice.

Jake

No one approach works for everyone.

Absolutely true 110% as everyone has different body chemistry and each person needs a different medication cocktail to work for their specific needs. Very valid point. :agree:

Went into bank to pay some money in handed cash over counter, woke up in back of an ambulance half hour later. Many thanks to pillock neurologist for reducing tegratol while I am under threat of more operations to remove screws at base of my spine really enjoyed it an I'm sure all in the bank did too apart from bank tellers who nearly all had heart attacks when I collapsed

I guess it is time to change the longest I have been seizure free! It has now been a year since my last seizure, after switching from Keppra to Topamax. Hopefully this is it for me. :)

:clap: The longer that you are able to go, the more your body heals and the less likely you are to have one... but there's always the chance that in the right place and time, and with stress or other environmental factors, it could happen again. its a fine line!!

I went about 21 years seizure free until I started taking seizures again in 2002.

I am now almost 7 months seizure free which is the longest I have been seizure free in the last 9 years. I'm now aiming for the 12 month seizure free mark lol.

Last edited:
my longest has been around 4-5 years... best times ever... hope to get free again for a while or forever

I had my first at age 6 and my second at 30 years old. I'm 33 now and have been through 5 seizures in the past 3 years.

I was diagnosed 1 year ago. Since then, my longest seizure-free period has been 9 days. I also had a period of 7 days, a couple of 5 days.

That's counting both complex partials and auras, but mostly complex. Most days I have 2 or more complex per day. It has been a bit of a challenging year!

Back
Top Bottom