Wheres the worst place you have had a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ON my bike. That was the time mum starting to say thnk goodness for nosey neighbours. I just happened to be on my bike and a tonic clonic showed it's ugly face right outside her house. She ran out, ran to me saw I was having a seizure and ran for mum leaving me in the road as I landed in the road. I wasn't riding mybik o the road as I am visually impaired but landed there when I fell an thank goodness there were apparrantly no cars. Cracked my head open then I think but can't remember.

I've had one on the bus coming home from my mum's when my fiance was at work. I had one in the middle of the town centre, ended up falling and injured myself and ended up calling my fiance out of work half way through his 12 hour shift which I hate doing and I felt really guilty.

I had one at my in laws, and they don't know I (might) have epilepsy. I felt it coming while we were at the dinner table. I stood up a little too quickly so people stared and I hurried into a different room to be alone. :paperbag:
I was there for a long time knowing they were wondering why I was gone. I should've gone to the bathroom instead! My husband knew what had happened so he took our baby in there as if it was because she was hungry and I needed to breastfeed. I think they bought it. But I really should tell my whole family so there'll be no misunderstandings. Just hard to talk about it especially without a diagnosis.

It was hard but my fiance helped me tell them. My own mum was harder to to tell as she thinks there's nothing wrong with me.

Lucky you have a fiance who helped you with that. My husband even has problems telling his parents I get migraines. We had to cancel something once because of that and my husband came up with excuses and couldn't tell them at first what the true reason was. I don't know why he can't talk about it to his parents but it makes it so much harder for me to do it.

I had a seizure on the train not that long ago, returning from Disneyland Paris. I'd gone there with my brother and his girlfriend (I'm a wheelchair user, so they love having me because then they don't have to stand in line).

They took a train back to my parents', and I took a different train home. Apparently I had a tonic-clonic just as the train was leaving Marne-la-Vallée. It's about a twenty-minute trip, I'd guess, from there to Paris proper, where they had an ambulance waiting for me.

So they took me to the hospital. Only, by the time I actually got to see a doctor in the ER, I was pretty much doing fine, except for the obligatory muscle soreness, nausea, well ... you get the picture. But they let me go. Which was fine by me, except that it left me stuck in Paris in the middle of the night.

I went out into the street, where I was stopped at about 2AM in the morning by a police car, asking what I was doing out in the street on my own at this hour, *in that wheelchair* (makes me think they wouldn't have bothered asking if it had been anyone else). So I told them, and they called dispatch to find me an empty hotel room (which was harder than it sounds).

Needless to say, I paid through my nose for the bed, and in the morning I had to get a new train ticket, too. Plus I had to take a half day off work, because I couldn't possibly have made it there on time.

Just remembered another one. I was the back of the car. Mum was driving. I'd been to the dentist think this was the last seizure I had last time they weaned me off tegretol. Mum could hear me making noises nd pulled over realising I was havin a seizure. Man stopped and asked if mum was ok she told me she said to him no my daughter I's having a seizure and his reply, oh never mind, my son has them all the time, she'll come out of it in a minute. No I didn't. I came out of it then went into another. Then came out of it again and went into another then came out. Of it again and again, well you get the drift. Came round eventually. Mum called the ambulance they gave mum something to give to me if I had another that lasted more then 5 minutes. They got e hoe to my aunties at the time waited til they knew I'd not go into another seizure then the ambulance left.

Not to mention the one on the back of the school bus going home. Came round in hospital.

Somewhere between walking off a pier when trying to signal my dad I was having on (luckly I had a life jacket on) and being a camp counselor and having one while walking an girl with MR. Next thing I know I am in the 'ER of camp' and I had told the nurse to go "F____ off sometime in the middle of my seizure. Worst part: I don't remember doing it! Very embarrassing because we were good friends. And of course all the boyfriend stories..... lol

a wedding reception.When I was post ictal I started telling someone off. and later ran out of the reception and the groom came after me.

Work and in a store...most annoying and embarrassing. Tread mill and shower most dangerous I guess.

Public street is my worst as well. I'd had a seizure on a walk home at night (I lived in a small town where that was safe to do) and someone drove by and took me home. Next thing my mother's telling me that someone called and told her I had simply stopped in the middle of my walk and decided to go to sleep. Riiight.

Best place I had a seizure? In the doctor's office. I was at the cardio and he was doing my medical history before the tests and I had a tonic clonic. He had me carried to the ECG machine while I was still unconscious and ran the test. He said he was glad I had the seizure because it gave him more accurate test results. Seizures have to be good for something, right?

I suppose that the worst place for me has to be when I had a Grand-mal seizure at Wal-Mart, and you know how people are, they tend to gather around and look, my son about had a fit about it.
At any other time, I was driving, which I don't anymore of course!
Terri Tripp

Thank you very much for all your replies,although i suppose any seizure any where,any time has the ability to end up becoming dangerous.

Reading through some off the replies and other threads from the past,funerals and the stress that goes along with them seem to to be a perfect place to trigger a seizure for us.

Last edited:
i noticed that reading this too, the stress and emotions that come with a funeral are a common trigger. HUGS all.

tbh when i noticed you added something to your original thread today i was shitting that it was b/c you had another one and were adding to the list. *whew!*

since posting in 2012 i've certainly had worse, being the last one ironically (last summer).
partial started in my sauna (around 68 degrees) and i 'waited' to see how it would play out. once it's going on a minute i get out (3rd time it's happened so i'm skilled haha!).
for a good two minutes the bottom corner of the glass door slammed against my face. ouchhhhhhh. f'd my bottom lip up and put cuts all around my mouth, they lasted for weeks. one is a lightning shape and is still red today.
one of those traditional sayings tho right... may the worst be the last!
between it and my surg good friend pfunk said that b/c i would have surg and never another seizure, epilepsy made sure it was noticed on its way out ;)

My worst seizure experiences would be one of two. I had gotten sick and forgot to take my meds at night and the next day woke up with a fever so I called in sick to work and was home alone and decided to take a bath to cool off. What I remembered last was sitting up in the bath tub, the water was already off but the tub was about halfway full with me sitting in it. The next I woke up I was still in the tub water had drained out and because I hit the plug at some point. The faucet was part way coming out of the wall from me attempting to get up which I only knew was the case since I had scrapes all up and down my back. When I came to I was on my back with my head underneath the faucet. After all that my emotions got the best of me and I cried for about 30 minutes. If there is a happy part to that seizure (other than the fact that I lived to tell about it) this was the first seizure I had after my husband, who was just a friend to me at the time insisted he wanted to stay with me the day I came home from my sister's house because he didn't want me to be alone. It wad the nudge I needed to realize that he was a guy I should give a chance to get to know better. Now we have been married for 5 and a half years.

The other one I considered one of the worst was in a jewelry store in the mall. I fell straight back and hit my head on some tile and had to get some stitches. But my husband as I came to was in protective action already yelling at people to get help so at least that one I wasn't alone, but it was the only stitches I have ever had to get so it was a little scarier.

In the tub...could of drowned...now I exercise extreme caution when taking a bath...I'll usually only take one when my wife is home...sometimes I take one when I'm alone but I figure my cat will save me if something happens :)

On the bus, about four hours ago. At least now I know for sure if bus drivers know what to do in such a case.

Well... I've only had two tonic clonic, and both were in bad spots... one was in the middle of a class lecture with 500 of my classmates. The speaker apparently said something along the lines of "is somebody going to help her?" After that everyone - professors, students, etc. kept asking if I was okay and if they knew what caused it.

That was my first time waking on an ambulance. The other one was in Afghanistan. Fortunately I worked a desk job and worked half a mile from the hospital... again, not a pleasant experience waking up on an ambulance. I had to get medevaced back to the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom