Which AEDs give you the worst side effects?

Which AEDs gave you the worst side effects?

• Depakote / Valproate/Valproic Acid/Divalproex Sodium

Votes: 108 25.4%
  • Dilantin / Phenytoin

Votes: 84 19.8%
  • Keppra / Levetiracetam

Votes: 133 31.3%
  • Lamictal / Lamotrigine

Votes: 81 19.1%
  • Neurontin / Gabapentin

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Phenobarbital

Votes: 41 9.6%
  • Tegretol / Carbamazepine

Votes: 78 18.4%
  • Topamax / Topiramate

Votes: 79 18.6%
  • Trileptal / Oxcarbazepine

Votes: 37 8.7%
  • Zonegran / Zonisamide

Votes: 35 8.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
OK. Started this one over to allow multiple choices.

As always, it's anonymous voting. Please let the community know your experience.

Thats hard to say each one of the meds made me miserable in a different way. For depakene , I lost my hair and nails, gained weight , held water in every part of my body,back,butt,scalp,face,hands,lost my period,migranes.

Tegretol first time migranes,aggressive, learned ot grind my teeth
2nd time this life threatening rash that was super horrible.

keppra: paranoia , super aggressive

dilantin: rash all over my body

zonegran: couldn't tell the firemen where I lived, I had no idea?

diamox :made the left side of my body numb

The other meds I used the side effects were not sot bad compared to these.

Riva

You can vote for them all if you like. This poll allows multiple votes.

Thanks Bernard, as:

IN ORDER:
Pheno - caused severe allergic reactions
Keppra - caused severe psychosis
Tegretol & Trileptal (which is Tegretol with oxygen)
allergic reactions

I have no problems with Dilantin (except that it caused me to have
problems with my teeth, so they don't want me on it anymore having
been on it for so long), Mysoline, Klonopin, and Zonegran.

Thanks Bernard, as:

IN ORDER:
Pheno - caused severe allergic reactions
Keppra - caused severe psychosis
Tegretol & Trileptal (which is Tegretol with oxygen)
allergic reactions

I have no problems with Dilantin (except that it caused me to have
problems with my teeth, so they don't want me on it anymore having
been on it for so long), Mysoline, Klonopin, and Zonegran.

That's one of the more troublesome side effects of Dilantin use that I can't stand.Every once in a while I get these painful abcesses if I bite down real hard on my food for example.

Other than that I've had no problems with side effects from the Dilantin in the 14 years that I've been taking it so far.

With Depakine I lost hair, but thanks god I have a lot, once after having a shower my husband was terrified to see the quantity of hair that I lost.
With Lamictal I was very bad humored.
And tegretol...I feel tired or I want to sleep.

1. Tegratol: Gave me a severe body rash, I am personally allergic to it can't be too mad about that.
2. Keppra: Made me so aggrivated that even while I was on high doses of klonopin I nearly choked out an ex-girlfriends current boyfriend for no reason, I am still suprised I didnt follow through with it. (normally I am laid back and calm at all times). Three weeks after Keppra was out of my system that same ex girlfriend, her same boy friend and I ate dinner together and hung out together like everything was normal because it was. Moral of the story: be careful when taking Keppra it might take your mind to unusual places.
3. Topamax: Worked well for me personally overall. But, it made me lose 20 lbs, granted I'm 6'7" so thats not terrible considering my size, but its a little scary. Also it made my asthma and breathing problems difficult.

#1 phenobarbital doctor took me off he then put me on \
#2 Dilantin was sick alot parents took me off of it
#3 Lamictal had non stop ms heavy bleeding, bruising, light rash, bad leg cramps aching...sleepy and trouble sleeping vision trouble...

#4 Keppra Im still taking had really bad mood swings which have gone away taking vitb6 about 200 to 150mg it took about month in a half to adjust to this drug now im fine...
#5 clonazepam am still taking for anxiety and seizures not really anyside effects was really tired at first...

the neuro wanted to change my keppra to Tegretol because of my kidneys but having heard people call it tegretard;) also cant stand changing meds....

for me...
Topamax was number 1.Ive been on it twice. Last time I was on it I hallucinated. Badly. But my neuro (at the time) put me on 8 times the amount of what I was supposed to be on!:mad:

I think that I have been on the majority of these medications.

I personally HATED Depakote. I gained 90 lbs in 3 months. It was miserable. I then tried Lamictal with the same results.

My saving grace medication was Zonegran. I took 600 mg and lost 80 lbs--gradually. It was wonderful. I sometimes wish I could still take it, but it did make me a little drowsy.

I'm taking Keppra, Lamictal and Dilantin all at the same time right now. So I can't tell which drug is causing the side effects. But I am losing my hair drastically and my memory and speech is much much worse than it use to be.

This drug made me completely lose my mind. It made me act completely out of character. We started to fight more, and at the time I blamed her. Now though, after intervention, I realize it was me. We had not even been married for 2 months, and I told her that she needed to leave. Over the next few days, I wandered around the city in a daze, and ended up moving in with some girl named Kelly. After I realized that I was not being me, it was too late to get my wife back. Anyway, now she hates me. The drug caused me to act irrationally and not at all like myself. :(

here ya go, from another thread.

It amazes me how these drugs effect each person so differently. One that has horrible side effects for one of us works well for another. And one that works well for some of us has terrible effects on others.

These drugs are scary. I wish none of us needed any of them.

Back
Top Bottom