Word retrieval

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am very upset at the loss of words. Where do they go? When we know that energy can't be created or destroyed, only transformed. O.K. So what happens to the words?

I have finally learned why I can't think of even a simple word - thank you to
everyone who has posted. Today, I asked my doc to wean me off of topamax - I hope to have my brain back before too long. :woot:

I hope you got your memory back. My daughter in law took Topamax for only 2 weeks for migraines. She has been off of it for 2 years and her word recall has never returned.

Boy did this strike a nerve. I'm terrible with words now, getting worse as the years go by. Interesting that it's always a noun, never a verb. People's names go into an abyss somewhere never to be retrieved again. Everyday things are awful too. Yesterday I had to get my Husb. to look at me as I told him things. I was soliciting his help cleaning up the kitchen for some company coming and couldn't remember names of simple things like ... countertop. Yes. That. I had to point.

I'm on trileptal. Asked my new neurologist about it. She discounted the effect of the medicine, and said it was probably my seizure history. I'm not so sure. I've been on one or another anti-seizure med. for 51 years. Yikes!

I loose them daily and keep reading and getting back great words but alas they disappear just as fast. Doctors say "well, i haven't seen proof that your meds do that. Maybe its just getting older that does it and living in a small town. and i am 44 now so who knows?

I have a good memory, and I remember things my neuro doesn't remember.
My good memory drives my husband crazy, and my doctors don't understand why I have one.After I came off Dilantin my memory improved 90% maybe better.:roflmao::twocents:

Back
Top Bottom