epilepsy linked to creative ability?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I know that feeling Nancy.
Have you tried approaching it from another direction, such as sculpture with clay? Building from the inside out?
Or have you thought about working from emotion, and the depth of your soul to see if you have a passion for the more abstracted world of art?

I have been taking a Drawing class over the summer quarter. I have never had any real artistic ability, but I have always wanted to be able to draw. I did find when I first started taking the Keppra that the side effects were easier to deal with when I was working on projects in my shop (woodworking). I got into this class expecting to just show up and coast through the summer. I mean cmon, it's art class! How tough can it be, just don't eat the paste right? Wow! I have been working my butt off and it's been great. I just might even have a hint of artistic skill starting to pop up, either that or it's just indigestion from dinner............

I read somewhere that van Goh had epilepsy and that the story that everyone has heard about him cutting off his ear for some woman is all BS. The story that I read was that he was shaving (with a straight razor) and arguing with his brother and had a seizure.......oops..............

Last edited:
RE: Creativity

I'm not sure if i'm really creative tbh.

I have certain gifts regarding my ability to visualise abstract data structures, which helpedme a lot when I worked as a computer programmer, and programming requires a degree of creativity.

But with regards to literary or artistic creativity I'd say no.

The last creative thing I did artistically was a poem I wrote for a woman I had started to fall in love with, but things went sour and I didn't appreciate being used as an 'emotion punch bag'. Friends is good, leading someone on for an ego trip is not.

But I digress...

No, my creativity is focused on my computing stuff, I can visualise and contruct normalised database structures very rapidly in my head. I can't extend this to object oriented design very easily tho.

It's a gift I need to explore more, to be honest, as I've never looked into the potential or the boundaries of it.

I don't know if this is de to epilepsy. I now think (from what the neuro said) that the seizure focus is in my left temporal lobe. This affects verbal memory/ability, and maybe the right side of the brain went into overdrive to make up for this and gave me this gift. No idea tbh, just theorising.
I worked as a graphic artist, constantly on the computer creating the "abstract" - While very different from my illustrative creativity - It DID require talent. I say "talent" because it is something that you were born with and will have to the day you'll die. "Creativity" is an action word. For example I'm having a hard time breezing through my book because I"m not in creative mode but my talent is still up there in that head of mine!

About your poem - I'm always plugging for more poem submissions - in The Creative Writing Room which I created for people to share. I usually critique and some remarks are also offered concerning each others work. It's a "friendly" place to go. No one's work gets harsh critiques or direction because it's not school! Why dont' you drop in that girlfriend poem! Or just see what goes on there and see if you feel comfortable. Go to Quick Links>Social Groups> Member Groups at top of page. You might find you have more talent than you think you have in this way. Some of the group feels that their writing has improved since participating!

I also have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy affecting the left lobe with volume area 50% less than that of the right. Perhaps my right brain has compensated? My neurologist said all the areas around the left lobe have compensated. But I wouldn't rule out the right lobe compensating.

I'm glad you popped in with your post! Always Laurie

I got into this class expecting to just show up and coast through the summer. I mean cmon, it's art class! How tough can it be, just don't eat the paste right?

:roflmao:
When I happened to say that next week I am going on a business trip to Mexico, my husband laughed. I said I was going to be painting for 8 hrs every day for a week. He said that it wasn't work because I enjoyed it. So I guess the computer programmer that likes his work, or the doctor that has a passion about his work, and the football player that can't wait to play... none of that should be considered work.

I still say I will be working... and hard, but at the end of the day I will be pleased.

Has anybody ever tried using a graphical tablet to draw images on a computer screen? They usually require only a USB port.

Or some of the great graphics packages available out there for creating computer graphic images? I loved the graphics class I had in college. We wrote programs to take a three dimensional object, flatten it to a two dimensional screen, hide 'invisible objects or sides' and rotate objects. It was the best class I ever had and I only took 2 classes in it. I graduated after the 2nd class and wanted a 3rd course, but it wasn't developed yet.

Now they have all kinds of software developed for us. Does anybody use some of it?
I know some really expensive software packages and some fairly high quality packages within reasonable prices.

Last edited:
The only treatment back then was Foxglove, that would account for his severe depression..................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis

Such a talent:

"There is a great difference between one idler and another idler. There is someone who is an idler out of laziness and lack of character, owing to the baseness of his nature. If you like, you may take me for one of those. Then there is the other kind of idler, the idler despite himself, who is inwardly consumed by a great longing for action who does nothing because his hands are tied, because he is, so to speak, imprisoned somewhere, because he lacks what he needs to be productive, because disastrous circumstances have brought him forcibly to this end. Such a one does not always know what he can do, but he nevertheless instinctively feels, I am good for something! My existence is not without reason! I know that I could be a quite a different person! How can I be of use, how can I be of service? There is something inside me, but what can it be? He is quite another idler. If you like you may take me for one of those."
- Vincent van Gogh

I HAD a Wacom tablet until my son snatched it up into his bedroom and hooked it up to his computer. I'm getting another one now....

Such a talent:

"There is a great difference between one idler and another idler. There is someone who is an idler out of laziness and lack of character, owing to the baseness of his nature. If you like, you may take me for one of those. Then there is the other kind of idler, the idler despite himself, who is inwardly consumed by a great longing for action who does nothing because his hands are tied, because he is, so to speak, imprisoned somewhere, because he lacks what he needs to be productive, because disastrous circumstances have brought him forcibly to this end. Such a one does not always know what he can do, but he nevertheless instinctively feels, I am good for something! My existence is not without reason! I know that I could be a quite a different person! How can I be of use, how can I be of service? There is something inside me, but what can it be? He is quite another idler. If you like you may take me for one of those."
- Vincent van Gogh

I like that quote alot. Too bad I'm the first one.................

RobinN had some great things to say about the "idler", one who is the procrastinator. I won't approach the duality of idlers because that's over my head. My craft is writing...so this is the best reference point I can make to being an idler or not, You hear about "Writer's Block". It implies writer is not at "work". This piece of work which brings joy. Otherwise he/she would have to be masochistic to involve oneself in work which can be so challenging.

This blocking of thought and then action could be for many reasons: "I'm too tired of thinking where this character is going to go" or " How can I get to clever dialouge to be a happening thing? Sometimes it's a suspension of joy. A sad thing...sometimes my case.

I once had a clever "but no bones about it" English Proffessor who spared not one of us "idlers" He had one said "I don't want to hear about Writer's Block. The only block is a top your neck! He meant "business" in both ways of the word!

Keep in mind. Reviewing writers. It is almost always said that this "writer's "work" is heart felt". Not "the writer's "joy" is heart felt" The work is carved from joy and therefore not necessary to mention.

RobinN's example...She was on her way to produce "works of art". Now, we've all heard this referenced again and again. The best way to express the business of craft. So, she had every right to say she was going on a "business trip". Getting down to the "busniness of of creating" Works of Art . Work implies skill, dedication and recognition...It should be no different for the artist. Skill, dedication and recognition....I don't care if you want to be a circus clown... He/she gets up in the morning, braves the afternoon and returns at night, just like the conventional "business man" ...and may even have a cocktail before dinner! Always - Laurie

Last edited:
im very creative. i play instruments & write & act.

whole family do as well tho... even the extended. but then again so many do these days, with or without epilepsy. i think there have been just as many famous & brilliant artists without E as those with the symptoms.

i think the human brain in general is linked to creativity and it just depends on whether u acknowledge and tend to it that makes the difference.

that being said, mental disorders (such as E or manic depression) might just give u more reason to harness such ability.

but sure if u wanna hang some appeal on us fizzyheads go ahead

RobinN had some great things to say about the "idler", one who is the procrastinator. I won't approach the duality of idlers because that's over my head.
Actually this is quoted from VanGogh

RobinN's example...She was on her way to produce "works of art". Now, we've all heard this referenced again and again. The best way to express the business of craft. So, she had every right to say she was going on a "business trip". Getting down to the "busniness of of creating" Works of Art . Work implies skill, dedication and recognition...It should be no different for the artist. Skill, dedication and recognition....I don't care if you want to be a circus clown... He/she gets up in the morning, braves the afternoon and returns at night, just like the conventional "business man" ...and may even have a cocktail before dinner! Always - Laurie

Thanks Laurie - I will remember "skill, dedication and recognition" this week.

Plenty of people without disorders are creative, I agree. Apart from having epilepsy I have a Bi-Polar Condion (which has been passed down through the generations! What a legacy!) I't becoming more and more genetic. There are those with Bi-Polar who are not creative but from my readings and discussions they are rare. Because of Bi-Polar depression (the crash) many have died at their own hands. What a sad price to pay for brilliance. I have multiple creative facets and that is a good thing. The better thing is that I've stayed on my medication cocktail for nearly a decade. It's my "life line" and I'm still able to create, just not so frenetically! Always Laurie

P.S. And great creativiy is and has been witnessed in people with Epilepsy. Facts. But your right. How we harness it is what makes "comphrensible" art to the public. When unmedicated, oh, I created art! Dipped my hand in paint and pressed it all over my wall, thinking I was communicating "brilliant special meaning about life" through this crazy art. And, that's the light side of it!

Last edited:
My twin and I have been composing music since the age of nine. I believe our epilepsy (age 6 to now 25) has helped us in a way. Sometimes after a seizure my mind feels a little different and I tend to be a little slower, calmed probably from being tired after it. But i tend to hear music after a seizure in a new way almost. I have been recording in the studio and had a seizure while playing (piano) and heard the mess up. Having complex partial seizures is interesting because your awareness is off. I feel that my music comes from somewhere else and that it comes to me and my twin as if we are playing it for the universe. Some of our best music was written after a seizure- after resting of course. I would love to see EEG while writing music hehe. I play cello. violin, elect. guitar, hammared dulcimer and piano/synths. We are self-taught and write music everyday. On youtube as well under Jumellemusic if you want to have a listen. Take care everyone-

i supose it could be a link pepole have always told me i draw well i dont know i am vissuly impared now so cant see my work but if others like it its fine. I use to preform in varity of ways i have always loved writting no books published yet but know it will happen some day do have few poems published and have written a whole lot of things. Pepole like my sisning so can see how there is creative is linked with that cuz as far as music abilty other then my sister can dancen nd grandma on dad's side with paino there was none my dad sang to loud nd mother was off key big time. so can see how creativte may be linked to epilepsy

Back
Top Bottom