epilepsy linked to creative ability?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

"To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted."
George Kneller This certainly speaks to me!
That's a powerful statement! I will stop wasting my writing skills and put them to great use for myself. It was nothing to write a paper while working on my MBA THE NIGHT BEFORE IT WAS DUE, and I NEVER had a seizure. One would think that stress would have easily caused a seizure. I am a witness that many with epilepsy are very creative. I'm so proud of all of us!

yes, I enjoy being creative, what am I supposed to have holly wood give me my creativity or entertainment? Sports... yeah, I like to go outside and play them, not so much supporting professionals making millions of dollars, while teachers and such are under appreciated!

After joining this website my creativity sky rocketed!:rock::woot:

Nope

There are so many people without epilepsy with abundant creativity, that I don't think that creativity is a part of our neurological condition.
I have zero creativity. Probably because my parents and sisters (and everybody else) said I have no talent. I have a guitar, but I can't play it.

Last edited:
"seized" by eva la plante subtitled (temporal lobe epilepsy as a medical artistic and historical phenomenon) is a book devoted to this topic. I work in the arts myself, and it seems there probably is a link especially in regards creative impulses, hypergraphia etc. I feel too much emotion (prob a result of epilepsy and this drives me....crazy). One year I came second in art at high school and cried and cried, I was shocked some one might possibly be better at art than me.
(Ofcourse they lacked my innate originality...) but now matchu is thumping us all, on every level! hehe...

emotions

Yeah, I get emotional, too.
While I'm not artistic, if I'm not wrapped up in the beauty and moment of a song, I get upset, because I can't play.

Iccanon, plenty of us are creative (noting that people without mental disorders or Epilepsy are creative in their own right) and this is best kept in mind when we are feeling particulary helpless when "struck". I just read an article about art exhibitions in Australia featuring paintings done by persons with Epilepsy. I would like to see more of this happening in the states. What a beautiful way to bring about awareness!

It is well known that people with Bi-Polar Disorder are highly creative and as Jim mentioned, there is a linkage between Bi-Polar Disorder to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. I have both and am very curious about this mind marriage.

I mention Dostoevsky in my signature. He is a prime example. Author of nineteen novels and voluminous note books, diaries and letters suffered from spells of altered consciousness, intense mood swings (Bi-Polar) and seizures. Neurologists believe he suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilespy, the best understood cause of hypergraphia (excessive writiting).

So, be proud. As I say "We are all in fine and brilliant company!"

Last edited:
I just started writing poetry a little over a year ago. I am not a proffesional poet, I just enjoy it. I do not know if it has to do with my epilepsy or not.

I know matchu is a great artist and I believe his artistic ability is related to his epilepsy. Cinnabar is a great poet and writer and I believe the same is true of her. I have a son with mental illness who is a fantastic draftsman. Rae1889 is a great poet and writer too.

I know there are others who have great ability talent in CWE. There is a definite link between artistry and Epilepsy.

. Rae1889 is a great poet and writer too.

Aw Ruth thanks! I have been writing stories since I was a kid. Short stories at first, but I have even wrote 2 novels. nobody has read them, cuz I am a little scared to share my rated R chapters.

Poetry I have been doing since I was 9. I had alot of built up depression and guilt and pain, so that is what I turned too. At some point it didnt help, so I turned to suicide, which thank g-d it failed. Since then my writing has gotten deeper on so many levels. its a part of who I am, and if I couldnt write poetry or music, Im not sure what I;d do.

I gotta get back into playing the guitar tho. my fingers are getting soft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rae, I am glad that you have been able to fine tune your talents. It really helps us here. I have real bad depressions. Poetry is an outlet for me.

Everyone says that I should see a psychiatrist. The problem is, I am on too many medications now. I am on 7.

The book "Story Trails," is coming along great. I am enjoying reading it.

creativity

I have been a drummer for over 30 years now. I have been in over 12 bands, different genres of music and have even done some harmony background parts to boot. I think that music really helps me to concentrate on one positive thing and not think about several negative things. I am the type of person that when I read or sleep, my mind becomes its own wondering self. Playing drums, even though it is considered one instrument, you have 4 (or if you are singing) 5 things to concentrate on. Though after 30 years, it becomes a natural part of me (4 things really start becoming one)

:rock:

I would strongly suggest that you check out Speber's Auditorum!
:agree:

There is so much creativity linked with epilepsy, I know it is true. Phylis and I have been doing research on famous people with epilepsy. It is very interesting research and I am learning a lot.

:agree:
There is so much creativity linked with epilepsy, I know it is true. Phylis and I have been doing research on famous people with epilepsy. It is very interesting research and I am learning a lot.

Can you share some of what you have found? I'm curious.

Creativity just escapes me. Maybe part of it is poor hand/eye coordination. I can hardly draw very simple things. That would explain the arts (though one of my daughters has an animation degree). Same goes with writing. Just never have the original ideas. I can write extensively given a subject, but can not come up with new ideas.

The flip side is with my logical thinking, I find new approaches to problems both at work and in general. I don't think that is creativity as much as experience.

Icannon notes the ability to fire off a college paper overnight. I can do that as well, but again need the topic or guidelines. Did a technical 10 pager once in less than 2 hours.

I think it was Crystal talking about naming her instrument. Musicans seem to do that a lot. That connection is so deep and the instrument seems to become an extension of themselves just like another appenage. Pretty cool IMO.:rock:

Buckeye, you say that creativity just escapes you. I've always thougt that it's just not all that black and white.
That some are either linear or non-linear thinkers. I've always believed that the brain is just too complicated to be divided in such a way. So, I looked into it and found an iteresting excerpt from an article.

Using critical thinking in the decision making process in the workplace is significant. For example, if a bakery is considering getting a new oven for efficiency then all thinking styles can come into play. First, the creative style can be used to brainstorm the different types of oven, performance, efficiency and effectiveness. Second, the logical process comes into play narrowing the field of ovens down to a few which can be decided on. Third, the persuasion process can then be used to narrow the selection of ovens to either the most efficient, quickest, or least expensive.

No individual has a lock on creativity, and that allows individuals to think about unlocking the creativity each possesses.

This is the explanation, example, I've always been looking for.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Interesting topic... considering I have E and my entire career is based around creativity. I'm a 3D environmental artist for CGI for video-games. That means I have to create all of the digital art you see in the environments, everything from terrain, to entire structures, to props, etc. I really should post some images of my work when I get the chance.

I really don't know if its connected but it would be neat to do more research on. I want to be an art therapist and I absolutely love doing anything creative. I'm sure it isn't impossible for a change in interests or dislikes after having epilepsy

Back
Top Bottom