epilepsy linked to creative ability?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Different Perspective

My twin and I have been composing music since the age of nine. I believe our epilepsy (age 6 to now 25) has helped us in a way. Sometimes after a seizure my mind feels a little different and I tend to be a little slower, calmed probably from being tired after it. But i tend to hear music after a seizure in a new way almost. I have been recording in the studio and had a seizure while playing (piano) and heard the mess up. Having complex partial seizures is interesting because your awareness is off. I feel that my music comes from somewhere else and that it comes to me and my twin as if we are playing it for the universe. Some of our best music was written after a seizure- after resting of course. I would love to see EEG while writing music hehe. I play cello. violin, elect. guitar, hammared dulcimer and piano/synths. We are self-taught and write music everyday. On youtube as well under Jumellemusic if you want to have a listen. Take care everyone-
We all know, it does require a few days to get back on our feet. But once there my imputus to manifest talent (I'm a writer and illustrate) "sometimes" allows me to work very well but I'll have to give some thought about a working with new perspective. Very interesting you mentioning that. This is something I will have to pay close attention to. You don't "hear" writing in the way you hear music. I write somewhat lyrically and then mix in the dark. There is the musical in writing but changes for the better/new perspective, requires a different kind of awareness and examination for me. I'll keep my ear close to the page!

What a multi faceted musician you are! And self taught?! I think you might be a savant of sorts! My aunt once made her own dulcimer, I think more of a craft for her. She didn't play all that well!

I had my first complex partial seizure last month. The awareness was horrific! I'd take a TC any day over that. So, I know exactly what you mean.
:agree:

I'll look into checking out your work on YouTube! In the meantime, all the best!

Last edited:
Different perspective

That is great that your able to use your skills to do so much. Writing and illustrating is a great skill to have- not all people can do that effectively. My twin and I have been working at music and composing, synthesis theory (mainly my twin hehe) and being able to work with other musicians in the studio as a group. Now we remain a group of us two "Jumelle" which means Twins in French since our whole family is French except my twin and I and my little brother Adrien. He does not have any impairments but it musical but does not compose. I remember you mentioning about your awareness being horrific- to me I've always dreaded the aura stage because that is all i can remember even down to the sense of feel. I hope that you are well and don't experience such awareness as to scare you- of course that may not be controllable. Anyways, you mentioned that you hear the page- that kinda sounds like Synesthesia which both my twin and i have. We hear things in color and patterns and get sensations on our hands by smell. Its a condition where you brain's wiring is a bit off in the 5 senses area such as sight, smell etc... Maybe you experience this?
Keep writing and I would love to read some of your writing if available for the public. Take care and be safe as always..
CM

We all know, it does require a few days to get back on our feet. But once there my imputus to manifest talent (I'm a writer and illustrate) "sometimes" allows me to work very well but I'll have to give some thought about a working with new perspective. Very interesting you mentioning that. This is something I will have to pay close attention to. You don't "hear" writing in the way you hear music. I write somewhat lyrically and then mix in the dark. There is the musical in writing but changes for the better/new perspective, requires a different kind of awareness and examination for me. I'll keep my ear close to the page!

What a multi faceted musician you are! And self taught?! I think you might be a savant of sorts! My aunt once made her own dulcimer, I think more of a craft for her. She didn't play all that well!

I had my first complex partial seizure last month. The awareness was horrific! I'd take a TC any day over that. So, I know exactly what you mean.
:agree:

I'll look into checking out your work on YouTube! In the meantime, all the best!

Synesthesia, etc

That is great that your able to use your skills to do so much. Writing and illustrating is a great skill to have- not all people can do that effectively. My twin and I have been working at music and composing, synthesis theory (mainly my twin hehe) and being able to work with other musicians in the studio as a group. Now we remain a group of us two "Jumelle" which means Twins in French since our whole family is French except my twin and I and my little brother Adrien. He does not have any impairments but it musical but does not compose. I remember you mentioning about your awareness being horrific- to me I've always dreaded the aura stage because that is all i can remember even down to the sense of feel. I hope that you are well and don't experience such awareness as to scare you- of course that may not be controllable. Anyways, you mentioned that you hear the page- that kinda sounds like Synesthesia which both my twin and i have. We hear things in color and patterns and get sensations on our hands by smell. Its a condition where you brain's wiring is a bit off in the 5 senses area such as sight, smell etc... Maybe you experience this?
Keep writing and I would love to read some of your writing if available for the public. Take care and be safe as always..
CM
...Sounds absolutely fascinating. Is it mostly a pleasant experience? I hope so. Are there elements which are displeasing? Such a curious subject. When I write my sight and sense of touch are involved. Colors extreemely vivid. I sometimes feel touch in a scene but then it's dissociated when tackling an uncomfortable element in the story

I created a creative writing source here in CWE "The Creative Writing Page" I critique, in a very human way, member's works and then occasionally pop in one of my own works. To get there: go into your Control Panel, on left > Social Groups which will bring you to Members Groups. Would love to see you there. You can even write about your music there. One member writes poetry about her love for photography (you should see her album!) everyone discusses the subject at hand. You do not necessarily have to write a poem about music. You can creatively express how music makes you feel, what it does for you, to you. You were very lyrical describing Synesthesia! You are officially invited!

P.S. I'm a Francophile. Part French. When I left for the airport heading home after visiting Paris, I "literally" cried. Going back. Just don't know when! But I'll go back!

Creativity

...Sounds absolutely fascinating. Is it mostly a pleasant experience? I hope so. Are there elements which are displeasing? Such a curious subject. When I write my sight and sense of touch are involved. Colors extreemely vivid. I sometimes feel touch in a scene but then it's dissociated when tackling an uncomfortable element in the story

I created a creative writing source here in CWE "The Creative Writing Page" I critique, in a very human way, member's works and then occasionally pop in one of my own works. To get there: go into your Control Panel, on left > Social Groups which will bring you to Members Groups. Would love to see you there. You can even write about your music there. One member writes poetry about her love for photography (you should see her album!) everyone discusses the subject at hand. You do not necessarily have to write a poem about music. You can creatively express how music makes you feel, what it does for you, to you. You were very lyrical describing Synesthesia! You are officially invited!

P.S. I'm a Francophile. Part French. When I left for the airport heading home after visiting Paris, I "literally" cried. Going back. Just don't know when! But I'll go back!

Wow! I do appreciate you inviting me to the writing group. I did not know that is existed here- probably because I cannot see the links or whatnot. I use a screen reader SuperNova which reads aloud what is on the screen or I can change and use Braille.
Synesthia can be unpleasant but probably because it comes and goes at any time and is not controllable. I don't know if there is treatment but I kinda would like it to be there anyways HEHE. I can remember numbers by color, draw my music in artwork adapted for the blind/low-vision, and have a good concept of space cause of it. I can remember being in my college dorm and smelling burnt fish from the next door neighbor and I was walking back to my room and could feel little textures of fish scales on my hands and I could not stop the feeling. It felt as if I was holding a hand full of fish- It probably sounds very strange hehe but that is what I felt. Sometimes it sounds a little special or crazy I guess but just my brain crossing wires lol.
I will try to meet you over in the Creative Writing Page.
Take care and be safe.

I have been an artist since the age of 5 and i always have been good and i am now working on my degree for computer animation and multimedia

Hi Crystal

Wow! I do appreciate you inviting me to the writing group. I did not know that is existed here- probably because I cannot see the links or whatnot. I use a screen reader SuperNova which reads aloud what is on the screen or I can change and use Braille.
Synesthia can be unpleasant but probably because it comes and goes at any time and is not controllable. I don't know if there is treatment but I kinda would like it to be there anyways HEHE. I can remember numbers by color, draw my music in artwork adapted for the blind/low-vision, and have a good concept of space cause of it. I can remember being in my college dorm and smelling burnt fish from the next door neighbor and I was walking back to my room and could feel little textures of fish scales on my hands and I could not stop the feeling. It felt as if I was holding a hand full of fish- It probably sounds very strange hehe but that is what I felt. Sometimes it sounds a little special or crazy I guess but just my brain crossing wires lol.
I will try to meet you over in the Creative Writing Page.
Take care and be safe.
I don't think anything you described about Synesthesia is crazy at all! I have DID "Dissociative Identity Disorder" AKA MPD. They don't use the term "Multiple Personality" anymore and am very glad for that because it sounds "ultra" strange to people.(But really I don't care what other people think). Small minded people react aghast! And I've not come across anyone on the site who treat me differently. Many people have such a misconception of the condition, thinking of Syble or Three Faces of Eve. Those cases are "very" rare. I like to call myself multifaceted and I refuse to call DID a "disorder" because since birth it's allowed me to "creatively" cope with the world at large. In a way it's a gift. DID fascinates people as I imagine Synesthesia would.

Synesthesia, is different but we both have colorful worlds, I would say. I think people like us are the, especially, brave ones. Now, I really divert.... you probably had a hard time finding Our Page because I forgot to tell you to click "Quick Links" and may not have mentioned that it's a "Member's Group" but I see you found your way and was so glad to see that you posted there.

Since I created it, it's my baby and always am glad when someone becomes a regular or even just passes through even now and then. Member groups are different than the Forums. A little more inimate. Very ultra friendly and cozy...not to say Forums are unfriendly!!! - Quite the opposite. You forge great friendships and they offer a plethora of information! Each Forum provides necessary outlets. Back to my my Member Group, it's more "compact" I'd say. Would love for you to contribute! I think you would have so much to offer and in turn you'd receive so much interesting and positive feedback.

About SuperNova! What advances in technology!!!

Until later. Cinnabar

Last edited:
SuperNova and Jaws are great advances in technology allowing the blind access to computers, internet and other computer based programs. It allowed me to go to college and complete my degree! I don't know what I would do without it. Unfortunatley it does cost a lot of money but that is the way it goes with technology that is adapted for the blind or deaf-blind. My hearing aids alone costs $2000 a peice. Anyways I do appreciate getting to know you and others here on this site. It's a great place.
I told my twin about it and she thinks its cool. Both Danielle and I compose music and even believe our instruments have "feelings" hehe (i know, sounds special) hehe but they do. They get to hear things no one else does. Whenever we are happy, angry or upset or cheerful and delighted we play and compose. Recentley we had a death in the family and I wrote all night. Anyways, everyone take care and be safe!
-CM

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a graphic artist...

I have been an artist since the age of 5 and i always have been good and i am now working on my degree for computer animation and multimedia
...always wanted to strive to animate. Never got there. But you will!

I feel fortunate getting to know you as well! This site is outstanding. I've been a member for about a year and everyone is so supportive. And you get to make great pals.I'm pretty much housebound because of E. Without this site, I'd feel like I'd be doing a jail sentance. I believe I've said this before. Pretty sure others in my situation feel the same. How wondeful that you and Danielle are so close and that you can colaborate so brilliantly and diversely!

I have weird dreams too.

Creatively... I draw, paint, I've drawn little comics before, I write. I'm majoring in art ed in college, so I'm learning a lot, but art has always been a part of my life. I like cartoons the best. Whether or not it's linked to epilepsy, I still hate the dreaded illness. I always thought creativity was linked to insanity.

Hi, I have a rare type of epilepsy in that the only medication I use to control my seizures are the B vitamins. As for creativity I build scratch built models (not kits) of spacecraft (my own ideas), I develop and make sliceforms and Polyhedra, I can draw both free hand and technical, I have repared electrical equiptment: LCD computer moniter: Replaced an elecrical component on the circuit board. Laptop: Constructed one working Laptop computer from two broken ones (same model). I built this desktop computer that I am using (at the time of writing this). I listen to all minds of music (apart from rap), I play the keyboard although not in a band, I can solve the Rubik's Cube (3x3x3), Rubik's Revenge (4x4x4) and Rubik's Professor (5x5x5). So far, my best time for solving all three cubes, one after another, is just over 20 mins. I like Abstract mathematics, Multidimensional space-time, Quanum Mechanics, Because I only use B vitamins to control my many different types of seizures, I have also looked into the history and molecular structure of vitamins: The word 'Cobalamin' (vitamin B12) is derived from the words [Cobal]t (Co) and vit[amin], I have studied Computer Aided Design (CAD) both 2D and 3D... etc.

My story: http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36549

Here is a question that I asked Fermilab in 2002 and their reply:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/questions/blueberry.html

You asked, "do you think it is related to E? to your aura? to your emotions about E? or are you just plain talented?"

Without my B vitamins I would either be menally impared or worse, I certainly would not be able to tell my story, due to status epilepticus. So in a way all of the above is made possible because I take my B vitamins on a daily bases.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andrew

Last edited:
I am an artist also. I've drawn my whole life. I played the saxophone when I was young. I'm also a very vivid dreamer. Lots of color and I remember at least two every day. I've read that memory in the form of color and shapes is held in the right temporal lobe maybe that's what triggers my artistic side. When I was still working I was a kitchen designer. I used a computer design program, but most people barely used any of the features. I always went for the most color and design elements. I also designed by hand when needed.
I get a little scared that if I have my lesion removed I may loose some of theses traits.

I saw a story on TV some years ago about a man that all of a sudden in his late 60's started painting. They were beautiful. His personality changes also - for the better. His daughter said he became the father she had always wished for. It was later discovered he a brain tumor. Sound like the Travolta movie - Phenomenon.

i am an artist myself
l_8c485f7c3a4c25e553c5c1af16f537f2.gif
, made from scratch using adobe photoshop

and some art i made from lockdown
100_1472.jpg

photopooop
comeon! use your hands and brian!
Joey, your tats are cool, I have a bunch myself and looking into sleeves... do you draw tats and if so, how is it to transition from paper medium the shape the body, meaning paper is flat the body moves is three dimensions? I hope it is cool we hook up sometime and do some artwork, My parents live near your area, and I plan on going there this spring or summer.
I made a mask yesterday with a magnifying glass a palm frawn that fell in the backyard. It turned out awesome! Please try this it is really one with nature artist adventure. Wear sunglasses as you are really welding in a way and the light is very bright.

And if creativity is linked to epilepsy, let there be no cure for me! There is nothing wrong with me!

photopooop
comeon! use your hands and brian!
Joey, your tats are cool, I have a bunch myself and looking into sleeves... do you draw tats and if so, how is it to transition from paper medium the shape the body, meaning paper is flat the body moves is three dimensions? I hope it is cool we hook up sometime and do some artwork, My parents live near your area, and I plan on going there this spring or summer.
I made a mask yesterday with a magnifying glass a palm frawn that fell in the backyard. It turned out awesome! Please try this it is really one with nature artist adventure. Wear sunglasses as you are really welding in a way and the light is very bright.

And if creativity is linked to epilepsy, let there be no cure for me! There is nothing wrong with me!

First of all I do not have a brian, wher can I get one?
q19431813158_6778.jpg
Yes I do tattoos I draw them on paper then I use transfer paper to put it on the skin. I also build lowrider bikes and I use a mig welder to transform my bikes into lowriding works of art. I have been an artist since I was born I started having seizures at 16 but hey, there still may be a connection.

Last edited:
creative abilities....

my son (13) who has seizures for a few years is struggling in school and with memory BUT is VERY creative. he has a hard time to follow instructions but boy oh boy can he be creative with building things of all sorts. he can take anything and make anything! he also has a future in photography i think. he sure as heck doesnt get it from me!:bigmouth:

my son (13) who has seizures for a few years is struggling in school and with memory BUT is VERY creative. he has a hard time to follow instructions but boy oh boy can he be creative with building things of all sorts. he can take anything and make anything! he also has a future in photography i think. he sure as heck doesnt get it from me!:bigmouth:

sounds great i love photography myself, i take photos and sometimes create animations with them using adobe photo shop, it really makes taking picture alot more fun. he should give it a try.

I don't have E, but I paint, draw, write, photograph, taught myself flute and am teaching myself bass. And I love to cook. I was troubled in my youth, and these were the ways I coped with that. Now they're the joys of life.

My partner, who we suspect has E, is a self-taught musician and composer(and a talented one, if I may say so), who also writes, paints, photographs and draws, and likes to decorate. Creativity calms his "fritzy" mind.

I think that creativity is a coping mechanism for many people. It's a way to express and communicate to the world what's going on inside your head (good or bad). It's a way to temporarily purge and forget internal struggles -- like a moving meditation of sorts. It's a way to make something good out of things we (rightly, or wrongly) percieve as bad, and it's a way to fit in and feel accepted by people.

I like your art Joey. I'm an Adobe Illustrator girl myself.

"To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted."
George Kneller This certainly speaks to me!

Back
Top Bottom