Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't need it after 9 days of doing bird of prey concentrating on 400 public and 12 birds of prey its a killer but everyone wants demos for town xmas light turn ons after all that concentration even with sleep it starts to set off mycloncs an drive me nuts but I find diazapam does help

yes ! even in broad daylight ( which also bugs me ) a stop light or break lights on a car infront of us can be bad news ... so normally im riding around town with my eyes covered ... dont worry my husband tells me when to brake lol just kidding ! always the passenger

yup: car headlights, tv, water reflections, strobelights, glear, camara flashes, fireworks, sirenlights, light through trees, computer screens, anything flickery or bright......

Hi goldfinch,

Do you have a filter screen for your computer? It helps me greatly.

No I don't . I do have a good screen. I just have to monitor my time on the computer and sometimes I will take a lorazepam to prevent me from haveing a seizure. My last t/c was last week sitting here at the computer.Oh well I'm ok. In fact, I'm going to get to bed now.night night.

Hey Ruth,

No I don't have a filter screen for my computer, but having the lights on is good, its mainly the myoclonus that is the problem- very annoying, med is helping

I believe that myoclonus is jerking or or twitching of the muscles. If that is what you mean, I have it too. What med are you on?

Have you ever been going through a tunnel in the car and the lights on the walls spaced at regular intervals totally triggers you?
Police cars have done it for me too.
Being on a merry go round and the sunshine filtering through the trees makes you wish your daughter wanted to go on the pony ride instead?
I try closing just one eye if there is any flashing light situation until it passes and it helps.

police cars do it for me,

and police cars through my camera lens set off a truly horrific one for me not to long ago

Well I'm mildly effected, seems to me having my eyes closed in a dark rom and having a tv or monitor on can trigger me, also Avatar the 3d it triggered my myoclonics mildly. I work in the concert industry, flashing lights sometimes bother me, fluorescents make it hard to think. Waiting on a call from my Doc to see if I was photosensitive on the last EEG, all he told me was it was abnormal and showed I had a predisposition to seizures.

I struggle with computer work, I'm currently sussing out an anti-glare filter and a polarised tint on my prescription glasses. Do you guys struggle with scrolling up and down on the computer? I'm a uni student so I try to print off whatever I can, rather than reading it on the screen. I'm so sorry trees!!

Yeah scrolling on computer monitors can be mildly annoying, sometimes I completely lose my place, and have a hard time finding where I left off, kinda like I zoned out, not sure if that's an absence, I'm thinking it's possible all the times in my life where I kinda zone off for a second or have a brain fart might be seizure related, I remember the way light would come through trees on a sunny day while riding in a car use to kinda bother me.

i only tend to loose my place because of my crap memory i know it was bad before my accident but now it goes beyond a joke i keep trying to sort out a problem i have with my virus scanner but as i get setup to install it ive forgotten how to install it so i usually decide oh bugger it leave it for another day lol i started this 3 months ago and it still isnt right

Abnormyl: I so remember the first time light filtering through the trees bothered me.I was about 12 and coming home from a camping trip and had my head out the window with the wind in my face and the setting sun flickering through the trees, was not quite sure what the feeling was at the time, but knew it did not feel right. It does not always bother me, but enough to avoid. Was watching American Idol up until last night when a rocker who was a guest had major flashing and strobe lights.. covered one eye and left the room. Even my husband said it bothered him.

I work in the concert industry I really hate strobe lights but they've never caused me to seize, seem for me a video monitor in a dark room with my eyes closed while tired and stressed is the real trigger.

But yeah the tree shadow light thing always kinda made me uneasy and maybe jumpy? There's a lot of vague memories and feelings, but when light really bothers me its like I can feel it in my head? Kinda starts like mild shocks?

Yes, I have the little shocks too.. And, if I have spent too much time in front of a computer or TV without appropriate lighting, when I go to bed and close my eyes I have some pretty major shocks

Thanks Mary it's wonderful to know I'm not the only one. I think I'm a little more sensitive this week, I was in Subway and the had lights shining through slowly moving cieling fans and I had to leave because it made me nauseas. And it was a mild effect, maybe I'm a little paranoid this week too.

I'm thinking from now on if I'm on a plane at night or anywhere i might try to nap and be in a dark space I will wear a blindfold.

I'm grateful that the concert lights at work so far are only mildly annoying, I really feel for the people more sensitive than me.

Back
Top Bottom