Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am semi-photic; not a true photosensitive
person - only for a prolonged period of time
will it effect me, however, if a graphic is rapidly
accelerated or beyond the resolutions per second
it can affect me greatly.

Same here.

I almost won a video game comp earlier this month. so I don't know if i count really.

have become sensitive to sirens, cant go to those ummm errr gentlemen clubs anymore(probably for the best) ! the led brake lights are horrible. I used to do lighting designs when I was working and the stores use different units of kelvin to make the fruit look nicer as well as the vegetables. Next time look at your fruit when you get to another part of the store and it will look different.
When I go into bars or clubs and all the talking going on, it seems as if I am taking it all in and grabbing pieces of each conversation and it sends me for a ride. I must get to the door as quickly as possible. I love dancing and do it quite well.

I sure miss you all! I am off of work well, you know out of work, so I am going through my fav. website and seeing all my friends name. Still hoping one day we can all meet in person.

Last edited:
I sure miss you all! I am off of work well, you know out of work, so I am going through my fav. website and seeing all my friends name. Still hoping one day we can all meet in person.

that would be great, like a convention for CWE. Maybe somewhere relatively central on the continent, like Kansas City..

not a bad idea to raise awareness, we could have special speakers, classes on information. Classes for doctors and er and amulatory care workers

Well Chris, Winnipeg is the heart of North America. So we are actually the closet meet up spot. But if it would be prefered in the states, then North Dakota Grand Forks area would probably be the next closet "center"

matchu- if you're ever up near Dallas, I'd love to meet you. :D

Not everything makes me photosensitive...

The toddler class where I work has a red wall, with white polka dots about the size of the bottom of a soda can. It's terrible and I can't look at it. Luckily it isnt my room.

Last year we went to this restaurant that had all this silver tensil hanging down from the ceilings. It was bad too. I had to change chairs with my companion because it was bothering me so.

It seems that when things look/sound "busy" is when it bothers me most. And like matchu mentioned, people talking in all directions around me really is bothersome.

I've been to 100+ rock concerts and strobes haven't really bothered me. Go figure.

Thank you, Cathyann,

Busy sounds and patterns bother me, too. My epi says it's just stress. I humbly beg to differ. I think it is the E.

Ya , we could get together and dance. lol I love to dance. No disco balls though. I am photosensitive.Computers, loud music, a lorazepam, usally fixis that.

Well this is very interesting.

I hate fluorescents with a passion. They give me atypical migraines, with an aura that lasts hours to days. I'll have to try some polarized sunglasses.

I know that some migrainuers wear rose tinted lenses (FL41 tint). It helps some, and not others (me included). I guess if you have PSE you may want to be careful. Don't know if the tint would make things better or worse.

I've heard that many people with ADHD and anxiety disorders can be also be sensitive to the effects of fluorescent lights. Sometimes getting fitted for Irlen lenses helps.

I think brown lenses or yellow lenses would help good.

Flourescent light is actually blue light, which is proven to cause headaches, seizures, drowsiness etc in people but also allows for much cooler light and brightness with the same energy or less than an incandescent bulb.

If you wear blue lenses you just allow more blue light into your eyes. So you need either a blue mirror, which reflects back all the blue light, or a brown lense. (grey and black are made from blue so those wont be good)

Fluorescents have a frequency of 50-60 hz depending on the country that you live in. The tubes themselves are coated with compounds that when excited (by electrons) fluoress (spelling?) photons (light) of particular wavelengths. The combination of photons of different wavelengths "combine" to give the appearance of white(ish) light.

As the lights are 50-60 hz, they fluoress 100-120 times/sec (ie its kind of like a super fast pulsing/strobe light effect). My understanding is that of all the finite wavelengths of light emitted, blue is especially prevalent. This can be problematic for people with "overactive" neurological systems. Hence our sensitivity.

I've heard that the FL41 tint "blocks" this frequency of blue light, that we find so bothersome. I know this tint doesn't work for everyone (me included). Some individuals respond to other colors (because some people have slightly altered elements in their visual system, perhaps?). For some people I guess color isn't the problem, but the intensity of the light. And for others the problem is the reflections that the light creates (maybe that's why polarized glasses help some?). Who knows... I sure would be interested to find out why I find the lights to be such a problem.

If anybody used to have the same aversion to fluorescent lights, but has found a preventative medication that stops this sensitivity, please do share. Its a huge problem for me at work, so I would be very appreciative.

Taking .25 Xanax 1/2 hour before entering a Light sensitive building along with wearing my sunglasses is my best chance for being able to stay and participate. Other wise it's no good.

I am photo sensitive, crt monitors and tv's, flourescent lights and many other things have caused my seizures over the years. My problems have nothing to do with the color spectrum of the light. It has to do with the hertz rate of the current passing throw the light. AC current alternates the direction it passes through the light 50-60 times per second, hence the term 50 to 60 hertz rate. when the current reverses I see a black stripe on the bulb of the llight of monitor or tv. Studies have shown the closer these hertz rates reach 20 or so the more likely they are to cause a seizure. To combat the problem with crt I would change the hertz rate to above 60 if possible, that is a paramater called refresh rate that is change on your video card adapter. LCD monitors and tv's do not cause that problem cause they do not produce scan lines. When in a building with flourescent lights I were a cap, and try to sit or stand near none reflective objects. Also I do the normal preventive stuff like meds rest and etc.

Being meaning to vote here for a while,exept i dont know what to vote for.I have never had a problem with photosensitivety untill about 4 months ago.

Ive always been able to play playstations,x boxes,go to discos,raves whatever with no problem.Untill i bought Grand Theft Auto,Liberty City put it on for 20 minutes and i was ready for a seizure,stopped in time i think,but had extreme abscences all day.

Waited a few days thought it might have been coincidence,but no,exactly the same thing happend.Why does this one game set me off? Whilst no other one has ever,confusing,but im leaning towards voting no,just no playing that game for me.

perhaps that was someone on a higher plane trying to teach you that stealing cars is wrong lol sorry but i just had to say that . i do sympathise with you

Lol............i cant seem to find the button to thank you for an UNinformative post!!!!

I voted no. I've never had a seizure from strobes,fireworks, etc. But if I stare at it for a while I feel as if I'm about to have a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom