Are you photosensitive?

Do flashing lights/colors bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 130 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 36.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi

I can't walk under trees in the summer as the flickering light sends me straight into a Complex Partial.

Fluorescent lights are bad as well, they kick of simple partials and if I don't have sunglasses with me, they progress to complex, which seeing as I hate shopping in Asda Walmart, can be a godsend :dancing:.

Basically I wear sunglasses all the time and although I don't officially have Photosensitive Epilepsy, only Left Temporal Lobe Ep, I am Photosensitive. Great thing is I always get the security guards hanging about because wearing sunnies in a shop automatically means you're up to no good, and being Captain Sarcasm, I can either usually send them off with their tails between their legs, or get them carrying my basket :woot:

i am photosensitive, but the strange thing is, i can look at strobe lights for a while if they are different colors, i even have a huge collection of the ones you buy at the parade at disney world. sunlight and windows, people's car mirrors, or even water are my biggest enemies lol. even flashy video games have been known to set me off, but i can look right at a multicolored strobe light for at least 10 minutes without being set off. lol i can't be normal can i?

Everyone is different. What is a trigger for one person does not mean it is everybodies.

We all have different triggers. Like the "flickering lights through a tree" does not give me a seizure.

Loud music does it for me. It makes my ear tick. And Flashing comuters. Isn't it great that I am going to school on line?

Watching TV or working on the computer makes my ears ring. Driving with the sun flashing through the trees makes me verrrrry sleepy, like I'm hypnotized.

Loud music does it for me. It makes my ear tick. And Flashing comuters. Isn't it great that I am going to school on line?

I have problems with loud music, too. I never did like it anyway.

How good will your grades be, going to school on line?

Ruth

Loud music does it for me. It makes my ear tick. And Flashing comuters.
Would that be people on the bus who light up like a christmas tree, or people on the bus with their bare bums hanging out the windows????????

:)

Im glad i dont suffer with photo sensetive epilepsy as i enjoy welding and building my own falconry blocks and bow perches and it would cost me a small fortune getting other people to build them for me

Although having said that i have noticed that, i have noticed how most firms insurance dont allow welders that are epileptic at all they dont seem to understand the hundreds of different types of epilepsy that there is,
also when i tell the local epilepsy nurse that i wind up using such tools as electric mitre saws you can see her cringe at the thought of someone with epilepsy doing that, what are we all supposed to do sit around wrapped up in cotton wool we all have lives too dont we.

I definitely am. The overhead fluorescent lights in Walmart, Sam's, etc. make me so dizzy and off balance, I can hardly function and have to leave. Actually, I avoid those places like the plague these days. I hate it.

OMG, Wal-Mart can be a killer unless I take Valium before I go in...
The lights at times make me want to crawl out of my skin, I had a seizure at Wal-Mart once, I just felt a buckling down and hit the floor... all I remember.
Billy.

i am photosensitive, but the strange thing is, i can look at strobe lights for a while if they are different colors, i even have a huge collection of the ones you buy at the parade at disney world. sunlight and windows, people's car mirrors, or even water are my biggest enemies lol. even flashy video games have been known to set me off, but i can look right at a multicolored strobe light for at least 10 minutes without being set off. lol i can't be normal can i?

The sunlight is another thing that kills me at times too, it depends really, some days are horrible with the sun, sometimes I cannot even go outside because of it... you're not alone.
Billy.:ponder:

Polarized glassier really help with the lights. I live in a city with a lot of flashing lights I have to really be careful were I go.

Polarized glassier really help with the lights. I live in a city with a lot of flashing lights I have to really be careful were I go.

I wear polarized glasses everytime I go outside. They are great!! They help me at WalMart, too.

You can get glare free screen computers now. I have one.

Walmarts and lights

Amazing that someone has as much trouble in Walmart as I do!
So I'm not an Alien (LOL)
It's not my imagination and its Not anxiety phobias about the store
I have no probs with Target or many other places
But I can walk in Walmart and within minutes I feel sensory overload
I am not as reactive right now and I feel its due to the mirapex but still can't stay long term.

Amazing that someone has as much trouble in Walmart as I do!
So I'm not an Alien (LOL)
It's not my imagination and its Not anxiety phobias about the store
I have no probs with Target or many other places
But I can walk in Walmart and within minutes I feel sensory overload
I am not as reactive right now and I feel its due to the mirapex but still can't stay long term.

Actually there seems to be a lot of people here who have trouble in Wal-mart.

I have problems in WalMart, too. It is the bright lights that they have. I do not have any problem in other stores. Their lights are not as bright.

Back
Top Bottom