Brain Atrophy & Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone been told you have Brain Atrophy & if so, do you have seizures with it? The Neurologist told me that I have it, other doctors discovered it but the Neurologist just confirmed it.

It's shrinkage of the brain, sometimes affecting the whole brain or just part of it and it can occur by either disease, brain injury or infection I read. A complication of that is seizures. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My atrophy is in the frontal lobe and although the Neurologist doesn't seem worried about it now, I know it's probably from all those head trauma's I had over the years, since most of them were to the front of my head. Another good reason to stay on the medications.

It affects memory in a lot of cases like mine.

I have never heard of brain Atrophy.

I believe that you have it, sad to say.

I have had many traumas and hits on my head.

I was told by one neurologist that I had Alzheimer's.
It turned out that he did not do all of the tests. He said that he did.

When I was in ICU, my regular doctor tested me for Alzheimer's. He did all 3 tests.
It turned out that I do not have AD.
It was awful, I lived for a year believing that I had AD.

I do have a bad memory. Maybe I do have brain atrophy. something is causing my memory loss. I have a new neurologist. I will ask her about it.

I have brain atrophy, I've got a cyst somewhere around my hippocampus and there is atrophy around it. I have mostly nocturnal seizures, and I do have bad short term memory.

i was told it happens to most women when going through menopaus scan showed it on me...no happens to men....god made women to be caste off like old boot when served her time

god made women to be caste off like old boot when served her time

You have just insulted me. Jehovah God made women to be a complement to her husband.

I have been married for 48 years now. My husband has no intention of getting rid of me.

I have a damaged hippocampus and the neurosurgeon told me it is now atrophic. I also have a terrible memory. :(

I think I've had mine for years and I'm not in menopause yet. I think it is due to the head trauma's. When I showed my Neurologist the list, he was a bit shocked. lol

Crunchy Frog, what symptoms do you have besides memory problems? I was just reading that if Atrophy only affects part of the brain, it's called Focal Atrophy and a complication can be seizures. It makes me think the brain bleed was due to the atrophy, not sure.

Crunchy Frog, what symptoms do you have besides memory problems? I was just reading that if Atrophy only affects part of the brain, it's called Focal Atrophy and a complication can be seizures. It makes me think the brain bleed was due to the atrophy, not sure.

I get seizures, memory issues and what I can only describe as 'brain fog' sometimes it's hard to think clearly. I'm also prone the migraines, I've got insomnia too but, I think that's medication related.

I'd never heard of brain atrophy before until I discovered I had it...

The article did say brain bleed can be a result of atrophy and of course seizures. I had 7 head traumas in my life, most involving the front of my brain & my Neurologist was a bit taken aback by how many I showed him. Gave him a list.

Crunchy Frog, I have memory issues and brain fog too. Then the one seizure. Do you find that things people say to you or you say to them don't make sense sometimes? I do & sometimes things I write get all messed up.

The article did say brain bleed can be a result of atrophy and of course seizures. I had 7 head traumas in my life, most involving the front of my brain & my Neurologist was a bit taken aback by how many I showed him. Gave him a list.

Crunchy Frog, I have memory issues and brain fog too. Then the one seizure. Do you find that things people say to you or you say to them don't make sense sometimes? I do & sometimes things I write get all messed up.

Sometimes things people say take a while for me to understand, I kind of stand there staring blankly while I process things and I'm pretty sure some people think I'm stupid..

What are your head traumas from?

Just being accident prone, falling and hitting my head. Have split the front of my head open three times in my life, two required stitches and then there was others that didn't require stitches. Where I had stitches though, is only half an inch where they made the incision for my brain surgery.

And have hit the back of my head several times. No stitches though. lol

Some of the anti-seizure meds (particularly Dilantin) can cause atrophy of the brain as a long-term side effect.

With me, I had it before I started taking the meds cause they discovered it when I had the seizure before I started seeing my Neurologist.

Crunchy Frog, did they tell you what the brain atrophy was from? They think mine is injury related, will discuss it more with the Neurologist next time.

Crunchy Frog, did they tell you what the brain atrophy was from? They think mine is injury related, will discuss it more with the Neurologist next time.

The atrophy is from the cyst between my hippocampus and amygdala, so technically it's the atrophy and not the cyst that's causing my seizures. Fortunately the atrophy has not gotten any worse since I first started having seizures.... Fingers crossed it never does.

I get seizures, memory issues and what I can only describe as 'brain fog' sometimes it's hard to think clearly. I'm also prone the migraines, I've got insomnia too but, I think that's medication related.

I'd never heard of brain atrophy before until I discovered I had it...

My doctor is keeping me on Neurontin, gabatein, for headaches.

I take sleepy time tea, 2 cups, to help me sleep. It is natural and it works. Sometimes, I take a mg melatonin to help me sleep. Again, that is natural. Sometimes, though, it does not work until the next morning. If you take it, take it about 6 p.m.

Back
Top Bottom