Brain Flashes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you have had this but last night I was in bed, the room was dark and I had my eyes closed. I just started to drift off when it happened.

You know how during a storm, you see flash lightening on the horizon? Kind of also like just seeing the glow of city lights on the horizon too. Well it was similar to that. I started to drift off and it was like I felt it inside my head, I saw a flash of light like around my head but it looked distant like flash lightening on the horizon. It' hard to explain.

:brain: <---Imagine this and suddenly there's a flash of light around it but vanishes in an instant but inside your head, not looking at it directy. It did this about 4 times, then stopped. I am sure it wasn't a seizure but perhaps an aura of some kind. Anyone ever have this happen, perhaps in a different way?

I guess no one has had this since no one replied lol. I didn't necessarily see a light but it felt more like a pulse,hard to explain

When I was 16 I had that. I just described it as an electric shock in my brain. I felt it like a current, it actually felt pretty good. But after it happens I usually have seizures or feel really mentally off. I still get it at 24, except its far more strong and it only happens when I have seizures. I don't know if this is similar at all, but it really reminded me of a lighting strike. Just BAM, then it fades away. I assume it's some nerve or something, no one seems to know. Like you said, it is hard to explain.

For me it seemed like when you have your eyes closed at night and there's a storm and even with your eyes closed, you can see the flashes of light. That's the way it was that night, only there was no storms. And it wasn't real light, seemed like it but more like a current like you said

I think I have experienced this actually... Or something similar. I don't know how to explain it though. I've definitely felt strangeness like an aura of types when drifting off to sleep. I felt weird a few nights ago and my boyfriend said I did all sorts of weird things in my sleep, and lots of mumbling, kinda weird things. Normally when he's around (not often - it's long distance), he is passed out, so he never really sees me sleep. I felt weird that night. I can't say if it was seizure related though. I've been told I do a lot of mumbling and stuff in my sleep before from former roommates in college...

I get something similar at times especially if I am over-tired. I get these strong shock-like head feelings that will show colors for an instant... so hard to explain.

I think I get this, if I understand correctly. I sometimes close my eyes, about to go to sleep and see flashes of light behind my eyelids. Like you said there is no storm, so it isnt that, but it is similar to viewing that with your eyes closed.

its not like looking at residual light though. Like when someone uses a flash camera to take your picture, then when you close your eyes, there are these rainbow dots. This is literally like it flashes and its gone. no after effect.

I dont feel weird when its happening. very sleepy, but not weird.

I get that when I close my eyes often i get the waves of "lights" on my eye lids that i wouldnt see if my eyes were not open. have you had a brain MRI that has checked for optic neuritis? have you seen a opthamologist? to check the optics in your eyes? not just a regular eye doctor?

Mind you these are thoughs of things you could have done, (ive had and am in the process of having some done as well) im not a doctor you just want to mess with your eyes.
Just giving you ideas hope all goes well and you are well,

Mike

i sometimes get flashing aura followed by splitting headache but i awake at the time

I get flashes too. I always chalked it up to an aura or a simple partial. I have had the lightning like flash while drifting off to sleep. I always think that our brains are super active when we sleep and also vulnerable.
I also get circular flashes of colour during the day that are there for a second but I can't focus on them. Kinda pretty actually.
Years ago before everything officially began I had a spot of light that wouldn't go away and they said it was an atypical migraine.

It's so weird when that happens. It happened again last night but this time, it wasn't very long at all, not even bright, maybe once and so brief I don't even remember what it was like in full detail

I have started to get these too, sometimes a large flash or a small one from the left where i normally get my headache from. Its a funny feeling inside my brain, I can't really explain it.

I've been starting to have these recently. It's as if someone has a strobe light turned onto the slowest setting for five minutes then stops. I wake up the next morning feeling like a bus hit me (and I know what that feels like).

This happened to me last week for the first time. I was busy doing what ever and for some reason I closed my eyes and it was as though a strobe light had been turned on for a few seconds. Pretty weird. Never happened to me before. I'd love to know what it is.

I have these "just out of the corner of my eye" things.
I attribute it to the polarity of certain brain areas becoming agitated from a normal polarity cycle.
For example, projecting a movie onto a spinning fan. At a normal cycle range the movie and fan have a synchronous behavior. As the brain has slippage from synchronous behaviors due to anything from aura or neural areas still healing through polarities it is as though the fan and the movie synchronicity slip from their synchronicity. Hence making these incomplete "wisp" thoughts.

I asked my doctor about this and she said it was probably caused by something that sounded like nyas...something--the eyes moving involuntarily from side to side. Something caused by a particular part of the brain...I forget which. Sorry. I'm useless tonight.

I don't know if any of you have had this but last night I was in bed, the room was dark and I had my eyes closed. I just started to drift off when it happened.

You know how during a storm, you see flash lightening on the horizon? Kind of also like just seeing the glow of city lights on the horizon too. Well it was similar to that. I started to drift off and it was like I felt it inside my head, I saw a flash of light like around my head but it looked distant like flash lightening on the horizon. It' hard to explain.

:brain: <---Imagine this and suddenly there's a flash of light around it but vanishes in an instant but inside your head, not looking at it directy. It did this about 4 times, then stopped. I am sure it wasn't a seizure but perhaps an aura of some kind. Anyone ever have this happen, perhaps in a different way?

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!
I just got out of the EMU about a month ago and the same thing happened to me. I described it to my doctor and he was able to pick it up on EEG. It happened twice while I was in the EMU. He said that it was an Aura- aka- simple partial seizure.

That has happened to me about 4 or 5 times in the last 2 months.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom