Can specific sounds make you FEEL better?

Do specific sounds make you FEEL better?

• Yes

Votes: 44 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

speber

CWE Muse / Playing With Angels
Reaction score
I have been able to dissuade many seizures by:
1)playing my guitar
2)listening to specific favorite tunes
3)THINKING about playing guitar or listening to specific favorite tunes.

After a 3 GTC-in-a-row near status epilepticus stretch that REALLY scared my wife Renee (this was let in due to an illness), I couldn't shake the post-ictal crud...it hung on longer than normal. I had a gig in the evening on the following day and was real close to cancelling but something told me to stick it out. Against Renee's better judgement, she let me do the gig. I scored a ride to it and told the guys I was a loose cannon for the evening. They were cool...they have known me for 18 years now. Anyway, when the FIRST NOTE SOUNDED my head cleared and my headaches went away! At the end of the gig I felt normal again (except for the tongue of course!).

Because of incidents like this, Renee and I have been researching the relationship between music\audio and epilepsy\neurological disorders. I've come to find there is a lot of research going on...but really only neuroscientists and their benefactors seem to be 'in-the-know' about it.

I would like to see research become more public...and not just for music\auditory stimulus.
:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

I have wind chimes hanging on my front porch. They are not just any old chimes, they are tuned. My friend sells them thru his company. They have the most melodious and pleasing tinkling sounds. Very pleasent. I have had others I hated and gave away (or hung on the carport to annoy my hillbilly neighbor.:razz2: ..my bad!) but these have a calming effect.
:cool2:

I did a survey on the Epilepsy Foundation's forum awhile back (it just expired actually) that ended with a question that tried to 'zero in' a little on what kind of sounds were most popular among epileptics. The interesting thing was everyone answered the same! While it wasn't a 'calming wind-chime', I'd bet you it could have replaced the answer the populus chose!
Unfortunately, even I know my choices could have been swayed somehow or whatever and the scientific community wouldn't give me the time of day with it...but for 'my little project'....I received much pleasure.
It inspired me to double my efforts into HOW research needs to be done to be 'accepted'.

There was no options for Yes and No;
while it's true I'm deaf now, but before
while I was slightly hearing impaired, but
could hear. I had to select the option
for "NO"

Why? Because some music, frequencies,
hertz, pitches, synchronizers - actually
provoked seizures:

See:

Musicogenic Seizures

Musicogenic seizures are a reflex epilepsy triggered by certain types of music or even specific frequencies of pitch for which the person's brain has a low threshold or tolerance.

Brain, you are absolutely correct!...however I wasn't sure how to set up a 'poll' for both 'what makes you FEEL better' and what makes you FEEL worse' so I chose the one that fits me for now:eek:
I've read up on the musiconogenic seizure research somewhat myself lately, and have been telling anyone who will listen that---while I DO personally believe in the positive power of music and audio...I am also aware that science HAS NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE found a 'silver bullet' tone or passage that heals all AND has reported NEGATIVE results in some of their research! In other words, it is very much a 'proceed at your own risk' endeavor for anyone who wishes to look for place hope in this area of alternative therapy!
Anyone who can identify a sound or passage of music that makes them FEEL uncomfortable (even when they just think about the music or sound) should attempt to keep that music or sound away. On the other hand, sounds or music passages that make you FEEL better (not just your favorite tunes---you must think harder on it a second!) should be kept handy for emergencies! In fact, let your closest friends and caregivers in on the secret so they can play it for you in the post-ictal stage and see if you don't come out of it faster!
Not a cure...but something to help the quality of life.
Sorry for the long speeel(sp?)
:pfft:

I am a musician, and still have my keyboard,
but I read music but can't hear what I play,
but yet can sense when I hit a sour note!
WEIRD?!

I adore music! But I had to be very careful
around it and with it, when I could hear.

However on the flip side of the coin with
MUSIC:

While this is weird and my Neurologist and
Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeon tried everything
to figure out (back then) what was triggering
it - and it was determined "nerve damage".
(We didn't know it was seizures back then)

While this is isolated and sporadic, ever since
a child; I get hit with this during my sleep -
two or three times a year; just out of the blue.
No warnings or nothing, even when I'm profoundly
deaf now, I still get it!

I get this weird music which makes no sense
at all, totally out of rhythm, no beat, tune, or
anything. It lasts less than a minute, and I end
up drenched in sweat; I do not get dizzy or
anything, however, my body jerks and shakes
very briefly and I do throw up. Tinnitus was
ruled out because the symptoms did not apply.
When I get out of it, I'm in a daze, having to
shower, and I go to bed and out cold and sleep
for hours and hours.

And when my ex would try to wake me up I
would be so groggy, as if I had only slept for
2 hours! My Neurologist realized what I had was
a seizure. Being so isolated, sporadic - there
was no way of being able to "Catch It" as he
told us, he merely just told my ex to let her
sleep. It doesn't matter if I am on AED's or
not, it happens and there wasn't really anything
that they could do about it.

I was once having absence szs and I went to a music class and the music from the singing bowls stopped my szs. Same happened at the drumming class.

Riva

Tibetan singing bowls are very nice, and their tone is mesmerizing...I have TWO of them! My sister-in-law was in the Peace Corps in Nepal and brought me back them and a nice set of really heavy 'tingshas' which are the finger cymbals...they have a nice low tone and are very peaceful as well.
Good stuff is out there!
:)

>>>important update>>>

I got sick\down yesterday...not sure what...some sort of allergy stuff (daughter has it too)... had to go to sleep bout 6pm...got up bout 11pm and went to the living room to keep from distubing others...screwed me up royally. Went back to sleep bout 12:30am and slept until this morning @ 6:30am (normal rise for the household during the work\school week). I COULD NOT get going...I felt even MORE tired...called in sick and went back to sleep.
Here's the thing, NORMALLY this is a "nail in the coffin" "slam-dunk" scenario for a GTC for me...and we were worried, so we made a huge palleted area in the living room and put on my music of 'choice'. I woke up @ 11:30am today with A BIT TONGUE.......but no blood, no headache, no confusion, no muscle aches.

I'm AGAIN living proof music can stop (or in this case at the very least MINIMIZE GREATLY) the horrible effects of seizures.

I urge anyone who suffers to consider the 'alternative' options.

Music

I'm a drummer, and a good session behind the drums makes me feel better. I think it's a combination of the physical workout, and the noise that makes me feel better. Right now, my drums are in my Father's basement, and he's a retired singer, and doesn't mind the noise as much as other Father's might. My Mother is in a rest home, and he goes to visit her every day, so while he's gone, I can make all the noise I want.

I think Andrew Weil was doing some study on it a few years back. Speber, I loved your story and have one two. I lived alone when I still had seizures. One night, about 3 AM my mom called me. I was having a TC and fell of the couch. The phone broke the seizure and may have saved my life. At that time I had convulsive syncope, seizures where my heart stopped and I would then vomit into my lungs and get aspiration pneumonia when my heart kicked in again.
My mom was at home asleep, when she awoke to the sound of music. I had given her a music box many years ago with a ice skater that turned to the sound of the music. The music box was playing even though it had no batteries and she knew it meant something was wrong with me so she called and that stopped my seizure. We have never figured out how that happened, but have always had a strong pschic bond.

You know?.......

Maybe it's the season, but that's SPOOKY!.....but in a really good way!

WOW!....how fortuitous was that? A few steps any direction and the signal might not have had an adequate effect! These are the stories that amaze me.

Hey!...what was the tune?...Claire de Lune?

WOW!....how fortuitous was that? A few steps any direction and the signal might not have had an adequate effect! These are the stories that amaze me.

Hey!...what was the tune?...Claire de Lune?

The tune was Edelwiess[sp], music for skating rinks! My mom and I have always had this very strong psychic bond, tends to happen with me to anyone I get close to. If my mom gets sick, I 'm 6000 miles away but I will hurt wherever she is having a problem, and same for her with me.

Great song!...

I thought that was probably the best part of 'The Sound of Music' actually....the Captain got game.
:tup:

I have the Music to Edelweiss, and yes,
the Sound of Music
Rogers and Hammerstein.

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Bless my homeland forever

I have been able to dissuade many seizures by:
1)playing my guitar
2)listening to specific favorite tunes
3)THINKING about playing guitar or listening to specific favorite tunes.

After a 3 GTC-in-a-row near status epilepticus stretch that REALLY scared my wife Renee (this was let in due to an illness), I couldn't shake the post-ictal crud...it hung on longer than normal. I had a gig in the evening on the following day and was real close to cancelling but something told me to stick it out. Against Renee's better judgement, she let me do the gig. I scored a ride to it and told the guys I was a loose cannon for the evening. They were cool...they have known me for 18 years now. Anyway, when the FIRST NOTE SOUNDED my head cleared and my headaches went away! At the end of the gig I felt normal again (except for the tongue of course!).

Because of incidents like this, Renee and I have been researching the relationship between music\audio and epilepsy\neurological disorders. I've come to find there is a lot of research going on...but really only neuroscientists and their benefactors seem to be 'in-the-know' about it.

I would like to see research become more public...and not just for music\auditory stimulus.
:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

my 17 year old doesnt have epilepsy :) he is going through a lot of mood swings tho so for his birthday i bought him a guitar ... when hes feeling sad etc. he writes music and plays his guitar, it really helps him to express his feelings. calms him down:)

my 12 year old loves to sing if hes in a bad mood i turn on the radio start singing to whatever is playing he will soon be singing and dancing... kids love music

love angel

Kids are 'in tune' to a lot aren't they?......

Epileptic or not...music can help a person out!
:rock:

Music has been around for ages!

Music has been around for ages as well
as dancing to it! And one doesn't have
to be a kid to enjoy it!
;)

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I knew some one at work who would have a seizure after hearing feedback from a pa system. Trouble is that nobody would play music or anything, and the people he worked with would jabber incoherently, and this also caused a seizure. :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom