Can specific sounds make you FEEL better?

Do specific sounds make you FEEL better?

• Yes

Votes: 44 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There are lots of songs that make me feel good. Also, the sound of ocean waves is very relaxing.

trains

When I was a kid, we lived near railroad trax. Very rhythmic, and relaxing.

I finished secondary music school (piano); I love to play but doesn't have impression that something makes me feeling better.
Also, since my husband left his old work and professionally dedicated himself to classical composing, I work a lot with him, there is music all day long (I work at home), so after the day's work both prefer SILENCE.

At first I said no, but I was wrong, there's nothing that stops my seizures or anything like that, nothing that dramatic, but when I'm depressed I turn on the country radio station and
the songs make me dance, and sing out loud, and they just help me to feel better

Nothing wrong with that!....

...the general concensus seems to be happiness raises the seizure threshold!
:rock:

Interesting Axa!....

...there is music all day long (I work at home), so after the day's work both prefer SILENCE.
...isn't that sort of an example of auditory stimulus in itself?....."the absence of"?
Nice example!
I prefer that situation too sometimes!

:twocents: I really enjoy singing and find it very uplifting with my seizures and depression (which go hand-in-hand). Helps me get lifted up out of the black hole, re-energized, reconnected with life.

3tomaras

Any songs in particular?

I'm always on the lookout for PARTICULAR stuff that helps people. It's hard to nail down because not many really think about it...but realizing it can be a terrific defense against E for some!

singing

I guess I got to be less self concious and start singing to myself. :paperbag:

Last edited:
This thread reminded me....

I've got to turn on my water fountain soon before bed.

I love the sound of a harp or harpsichord. I find they have a quality that greatly effects my mood & mindset though I can't say how it might effect my seizures.

The only times that I think anything brought me back from a seizure were
1) when I heard a car honk at me, the stereo effect was exaggerated as it passed me by

2)when the woman behind me on the bus put her hand on my shoulder & asked if I was OK.

Because both instances are so different in tone & volume (though one involved touch as well) I wonder if it's the realization of being addressed that brings me back.:ponder:

Hmmmm?....

...in both your instances, a STARTLE seems to have had a positive effect!

Most noteworthy indeed!

However I will stae sometimes the startle approach (for me) has increased severity...so Renee uses gentle touch.

I enjoy alternative folk rock, Michelle Shocked, Patty Larkin and the like. But what's soothing and less acoustically and lyrically stimulating is Julee Cruise, David Lynch's Golden Girl. Her music is haunteningly beautiful. It eases me and I have to remember to play her when light breathing isn't doing it's thing. There must me studies done on music as it related to Epilepsy. Think I'll do a search on the subject. Thanks for your post. Laurie

...in both your instances, a STARTLE seems to have had a positive effect!

Most noteworthy indeed!

However I will stae sometimes the startle approach (for me) has increased severity...so Renee uses gentle touch.

Actually I remember the lady on the bus as having a very gentle voice & touch. When the sz started to subside that time it felt like a delayed reaction to her, possibly because it was less startling but can't really say for sure.

I used to work with Alzheimer patients and the soft repetitive sounds of American Indian drums helped many of them calm down. You may have something there with the tin drums when it comes to Epilespy - any maladly which fires up "electric brains!"

I can see how the drums would work

I used to live across the street from a park that had drum circles every Sat. & Sun. morning. I was surprised at how relaxing the rhythms were & used to go there & read while everyone played.

Atmospheric music helps me. My dear friend is whisking me away to her home in West Hampton for a few days (my first time out in ages) and I'm bringing along my Enya CD. I'm toting along my book of short stories and hope I'll have the concentration to read with or without Enya in the background. I may have mentioned my past seizure was a few weeks ago and I'm still "fuzzy". But I've got to try to excersize this brain! When I lived in Manhattan a group of street musicians were playing Sunrise Sonnata on tin drums. I will never forget how I was glued in front of them thinking "This is the most beautiful music I've ever heard or possibly ever will." Laurie

Have a nice trip Laurie!...

I think Enya has some terrific stuff! As with EVERY artist, I like some of her stuff WAY better than others...and some I would prefer never hear again?

Music's effects on us are truly amazing and mysterious. It is a gift from above one second---then a 'hard-lesson-learned' the next!

'The Long Ships' (I think that's right?) is one that sticks out in my mind as a favorite Enya song.

Peace
Spencer

Jewel

I was listening to Jewel's Pieces of You CD the other night. I really like her soft emotion filled voice. Even though the songs are generally sad, she still can relax me. I think it may be the way she almost whispers some of her lyrics. I have liked other singers who use that style as well.

No specific makes me feel better.:ponder::medsym::medsym::cheers::cowboy: :pfft:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom