Can thoughts trigger seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LynnW

New
Reaction score
Sometimes certain thought patterns make me feel odd. Like I better stop thinking about it right away. Example: this morning I was telling my daughter about a weird dream I had last night, and when I got to a certain part, I felt bad, kinda weird at the pit of my stomach. Not an aura, but like maybe the premonition of an aura. It's hard to explain, but I felt like I better change the subject right away. My seizures have been under control with the Trileptal, so nothing beyond that happened.

I remember before I knew that my episodes were simple partial seizures, I was talking to a classmate before class. He was, at the time, taking a class that I has already taken, and we were talking about the test that he had just had. As we were talking, I had a seizure (simple partial, no loss of consciousness, lasted maybe a minute). After it was over, I had the distinct feeling that it was the subject matter of what we were talking about that caused it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of thoughts triggering seizures?

Can't think of a time I personally experienced this, but the fact that stress, anger, and other emotional states can be triggers, your feelings are a very logical extension.

Also, what I have read about the different types of auras here, nothing would surprise me anymore.

:e:

I would not be surprised either...

My vote is yes they could in some people.

I have read that thoughts can pull you away from a seizure, so it seems logical that you can let thoughts draw you in. Maybe that is why we have the saying.. A mind of its own.

I have found that thoughts can trigger a sz in me but they're usually stressful thoughts. Not to say that thinking about anything stressful would trigger a sz though, I think it's more like when I come to a stressful realization that I feel as though it's the thought that triggered it.

Thoughts

I vote both ways. They can and can't trigger a seizure. Everyone is different. I know stress and lack of energy can. PTSD can also trigger seizures.:ponder:

Sometimes certain thought patterns make me feel odd. Like I better stop thinking about it right away. Example: this morning I was telling my daughter about a weird dream I had last night, and when I got to a certain part, I felt bad, kinda weird at the pit of my stomach. Not an aura, but like maybe the premonition of an aura. It's hard to explain, but I felt like I better change the subject right away. My seizures have been under control with the Trileptal, so nothing beyond that happened.

I remember before I knew that my episodes were simple partial seizures, I was talking to a classmate before class. He was, at the time, taking a class that I has already taken, and we were talking about the test that he had just had. As we were talking, I had a seizure (simple partial, no loss of consciousness, lasted maybe a minute). After it was over, I had the distinct feeling that it was the subject matter of what we were talking about that caused it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of thoughts triggering seizures?

Wow! I am so thankful that you have asked this question! I have been so afraid to ask this before.

My husband has noticed that when he talks, I go into seizures. I know this sounds funny and many of you may want to immediately laugh because of the man vs. woman thing...(I know..I am laughing as I am typing), but seriously...

when he talks, my husband talks very, very descriptively. I find that as I concentrate on what he is describing...I go into seizures. Except, I am not the one who first made the connection between my thoughts and my seizures...my husband noticed it first. I have been too embarrassed to mention it to my doctors because I have never heard of any one else having seizures due to thoughts!

I was wondering if maybe my seizures are caused from somewhere in the part of my brain responsible for visual processing. I have partial and complex partial seizures.

Do you all think the seizures could be related to the thoughts???

I don't know but my initial reaction is... why not?
I still go back to the idea that thoughts can pull you out of a seizure, so why wouldn't it be possible to pull you into one.
This is a good thing to know though, because then you can pin point where the seizure is beginning. This is a really good thing for neurofeedback therapy.

Thoughts can be related to emotions. Emotions are related to stress. Stress is definitely related to seizure activity. :twocents:

Thank you Robin and Bernard for your input.

I haven't read much on neurofeedback as of yet. I will spend some time this weekend reading about it.

I never feel stressed when I am thinking, but I am concentrating really hard to try to envision what my husband is describing. Perhaps that is putting stress on my brain to try to process that information...

I get the same thing happen to me occasionally. I have ALWAYS and still get a bad feeling (kinda pre-aura as you put it) when I see a corn-field.....I know, odd, but it's true

I was just talking to my hubby last night about such, it seems that here lately, I have most of my seizures in the early morning. I asked him do you think that because the morning seems to be the most stressful part of my day most of the time, like I worry about and concentrate on problems, like the budget, and that I need to get this and that done and more. I have had two really bad complex partials and several partials in the 10 days and all of them before noon.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm relatively new to Epilepsy and this forum has been so great! It has made me understand that people experience seizures in so many weird and different ways. I read about some people's experiences, and think, "no, that's never happened to me", but sometimes I come to something and think "Yes! That's exactly how I feel!" It's nice to know I am not alone.

I have since read something (I wish I could remember where) about sometimes complex thought processes, like mathematical computations, triggering seizures in some people. When I think back, many of my simple partial seizures have happened while studying for my accounting classes. Since I want to eventually be an accountant, I hope accounting doesn't turn out to be a trigger (ha, ha!).

Stringbean - most of my seizures have also been before noon. I wonder what's up with that?

Some thoughts can trigger a seizure.

I am really curious about this.

I keep wondering if the thoughts are the trigger or if it is the location of the brain in which the thoughts are occurring.

Like the accounting for instance...is it the math computation itself causing stress which leads to a seizure or is there an increase in brain activity in the part of the brain responsible for mathematical thinking?

Do you all understand what I am asking? Due to my Topamax, I am not sure if my thoughts are being presenting in way that makes any sense to anyone other than myself?

I would love to do research on this very question to see if there is a difference between seizures due to the thoughts themselves and seizures due to brain activities responsible for producing the thoughts?

For research, I highly recommend Epilepsy:A New Approach by Richard & Reiter, M.D.
They write quite a bit about senses, thoughts and imagery.

Robin - I'm adding this book to my summer reading list.

Natalie - The subject of seizure originations is also very interesting to me. If you find out anything, let us know! BTW, I don't think I have felt any stress about the accounting computations, or about my dream - although the part of the dream that made me feel bad was about my Mother-In-Law! (ha ha!). TT, do you have any issues about cornfields from you past?

My seizures always start out with the same image (I have been calling it a "waking dream") in my head - I think it is an aerobics instructor. I get this "dream" for about 2 seconds - it is my signal that the seizure is starting. My neurologist explained to me that it is a stored memory, and that the focal point of my seizures is at this place where the memory is stored. Make sense? I'm not sure how this fits in.

As to the time of day when we have the most seizure activity - that would be an interesting subject for a survey, if it hasn't already been brought up. I am intrigued by how some people only have seizures at night, some only before 12:00 noon, etc. Is there any research into reasons behind this?

As to the time of day when we have the most seizure activity - that would be an interesting subject for a survey, if it hasn't already been brought up. I am intrigued by how some people only have seizures at night, some only before 12:00 noon, etc. Is there any research into reasons behind this?

I am not sure if there is any research into the time of day; however, when I have briefly read about myoclonic seizures, I have noticed that they generally occur in the morning as well. This would be a very interesting topic.

Robin, I will look for that book. I have finished my classes and I have a few weeks before my next ones start. I would enjoy reading for fun!

Lynn...I, too, feel that my thoughts are not stressful when I experience the seizures...just concentrating. (By the way, my bachelor's degree is in accounting! You and I seem to have a lot in common. :) )

Hawke...I agree with you. I wasn't sure when this thread was first started because I thought I was the only who experienced seizures from my thoughts. However, now listening to all of you...I do agree with you!

Back
Top Bottom