Coming Off Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here,
Last Tuesday about 10 days ago my mom had what the neurologist called a seizure. No seizure history before, not on any medications, all CT, MRI, EEG tests came back spotless. Turns out she had a TIA due to a UTI, not a seizure. That neurologist put her on Keppra 500micrograms 2x a day when he originally claimed she had a seizure. Up until two days ago I, my family, and even herself have noticed that she's not been herself. Constantly sleepy, quiet, spacey, not involved. It's obviously the medication and she doesn't even need to be on it anymore considering she didn't even have a seizure. We're calling her doctor tomorrow morning asking for her to come off of it seeming that it's just unnecessary. My questions are: since she's been on it for so little time will the ween/withdrawal process not be as bad? The dosage is quite small too so I'm hoping it won't be as bad. My mom is a healthy individual who is always active and happy, this medication is slowly changing her into someone she's not.

Keppra

Hi, Keppra has a bad reputation for making people feel strange and angry. Deservedly so I think, (I was on it).
When I went on something else my neurologist had me gradually transition from it to another medication.
It's possible that he may have her gradually taper off.
Make sure to expression your concerns to the her Dr.

I've just come off quite a high dose of keppra (1000mg 3x daily) and had to come off it slowly beacause of how much I was taking. It wasn't too bad for me so coming off a lower dose might not cause her any problems.

Back
Top Bottom