Depakote?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kerum

New
Reaction score
Hey all,
My son is taking Trileptal for his complex partials. Doctor added Depakote today over the phone for some symptoms like eye blinking and dizziness that isn't being covered by the Trileptal (and we can't increase the Trileptal because of extreme nausea when we tried to increase it a month and a half ago).

Can anyone tell me what I should possibly prepare myself for with this med? We have some minor behavioral issues from the Trileptal (irritability, moodiness, anger) but nothing we can't handle. He is also on Daytrana patches for ADHD.
Anti-epileptic meds always seem to have some side affects that scare me (depression, suicidal thoughts, etc). I'm thankful for seizure control, but at what cost?

Thanks!!!

Im on Depakote 2000mg a day,i find that it makes me tierd and sleepy,also i have also weight gain with it.I used to be a naturally thin person,now im slightly over weight,but now where near obese.As for moods im a bit unpredictible,others say.But i couldn't honestly tell you the mental effects it's had on me untill i come off it as it was added to Tegretol.

One thing for SURE. This one is HARD on the liver.....and no the normal blood tests from hospital really highlight this.....

we were pretty shocked that hospital results show perfect liver (way too broad ranges acceptable) while private and individual check to the unique human being showed major burdened liver....and my Son is 27 year old, 6ft and does not carry additional weight and we eat organic but if the liver is burdened you could feed them Rolls-Royce but it won’t matter if the liver is not processing it ALL correctly..

And yes for sure affects moods, I have seen who an increase of the med changed my Son and not for the better and how a decrease brought him back....

we working to build this med down, in many ways but thats another story...

I’d love to put out major warning on this med......

I was on depokene as a child was weaned off about the age of 6 then around 18 when seizures came back at 18. Im not on it now but my mother told me of behavior issues when I was a child. I'm sorry I don't remember how affected me as an adult and I was also on other meds at the same time. My own daughter was on depakene as a child I remember being at her neurologist office she had been on it for 2 years and had not had a seizure he kept her at the same dose. I told him I wanted her off of it because she is much bigger then when she was when he put her on it and she was on the same dose so it couldn't be theraputic in her blood any more! He looked at me like I had a third eye ball he did wean her off why stay on it if you don't need it! She's 16 now and has not had a seizure. Sorry to rant

Thanks everyone...

We started the med on Friday night. Saturday seemed okay...a little attitude here and there, but nothing major (and he's 8 and is in a testing the limit phase anyway).

Sunday we started off with some issues and we could tell that his fuse was getting pretty short with us and his brothers. It got worse in the evening and he completely melted down over the littlest things. This morning too.

I'm leery of what is going to happen this week as he continues to be on this med. We have an appt on Wednesday with his neuro and I will be bringing up the liver tests that I have read about. Son is skinny as a bean pole right now because of ADHD meds, but we will be sure to keep an eye on things if he stays on this med. I don't think they'll take him off at this point since we can't really go higher on the Trileptal.

pita300 - sounds like your daughter was ready to come off the meds! Congrats! I'm hoping Austin grows out of his seizures at some point. He has some benign spots in his brain that they think is causing them, but they've seen kids outgrow the seizures even with those spots.

Thanks everyone...

We started the med on Friday night. Saturday seemed okay...a little attitude here and there, but nothing major (and he's 8 and is in a testing the limit phase anyway).

Sunday we started off with some issues and we could tell that his fuse was getting pretty short with us and his brothers. It got worse in the evening and he completely melted down over the littlest things. This morning too.

I'm leery of what is going to happen this week as he continues to be on this med. We have an appt on Wednesday with his neuro and I will be bringing up the liver tests that I have read about. Son is skinny as a bean pole right now because of ADHD meds, but we will be sure to keep an eye on things if he stays on this med. I don't think they'll take him off at this point since we can't really go higher on the Trileptal.

pita300 - sounds like your daughter was ready to come off the meds! Congrats! I'm hoping Austin grows out of his seizures at some point. He has some benign spots in his brain that they think is causing them, but they've seen kids outgrow the seizures even with those spots.
Kerum,

I have the same hope for you that he will grow out of them and they don't come back at a later age

Back
Top Bottom