Diary of an Epileptic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, I have that clouded feeling back. I hate it. it feels like I have something blocking or fogging my natural personality. don't get me wrong. I am far from depressed. I have a very realistic sense of thinking. If I dont like something, or something/someone upsets me then I attempt to fix the situation. or remove the situation. But I feel like my thinking and my attitude towards things is more apathetic than usual. it just doesnt make me feel giddy and happy chatty, as Occb says. It sucks butt. I miss "me" again. and I dont think that changing meds will help with this. As log as there is something "messing" with my brain chemicals and controling certain natural response then I feel "lost" in my brain.

Friday I got my TOM. it sucked big time. I was at work and didnt come prepared. So I made Chad bring me supplies. I felt "off" all day and had a few auras. some of which felt so strong I thought that the tonic clonic would be inevitable. so a few times I sat on the floor and waited for it to pass. Nothing happened

That night me and Chad had a fight. He had attempted to try and kick me out of a complex partial by doing the "nose push" thing again. He tried and it worked. only because it put me in so much pain. I had told him the first time he tried to not ever try it again, as it didnt work and it left my nose sensitive because he pressed up on that little bit of cartilage that forms the point of your nose. so I couldnt rub it or blow it for a bit because the pressure hurt. So because of the fight we didnt leave for Dunrea until about 8pm.

The drive was okay until we were about 45mins away and then it got so foggy. to the point where you could not see 5 feet in front of the car. I got super scared and wanted to pull over, but there was no shoulders at this point and if we pulled over, nodbody would see our hazard lights until it was too late. so we kept going. the 2 hour ride took us about 2 hours and 45 minutes because we drove 60km/hr the rest of the way home. fearing we could hit a deer or another car or go off the road if we missed a turn. once we were at his parents, i went straight to bed and slept like a log.

Saturday morning I got up at 9:30am and ate a small bowl of cereal. it wasnt gluten free as they dont really have anything that is GF in the house, and i would not force them to acommedate my new eating habits. That got me off to a bad start. at about 9:45 Chad and his dad and his brother scott went to brandon, leaving me in the house alone until his mother came back from work at noon. At one point I found myself standing on the balcony with no socks/shoes or jacket on. I must have let the dog in, and had a complex partial or longer absence when I walked out to call Nya.

His sister came early and was there at 11am, so i had less time to be alone. then her mum and aunt came and we went shopping for a bit. until about 4 or 5pm. I had forgot to take my pill that morning and for lunch I had a caesar salad. probably with non-GF dressing. so I felt even more funny. but I made it home and we had opened a bottle of wine and had supper *my next post will explain my frustration about the liquor mart* I drank a whole magnum of wine to myself *which is about 8 glasses, and it was 8%* definetely not a good idea, but i hadnt notice I drank that much until I went to pour myself another glass and the bottle was empty. *ooops*

went to bed that night at 1am. then had to be up at 7:30 to get myself ready for modeling at 10am. got there, they did my hair and makeup, and then got changed into the first dress and waited until 12:30 for the show to start. I had a tiny bowl of that cereal at 8am and then nothing until the modeling was over. which was at 1:45pm. We left the show. I did take my meds at 9am, but I still had a few auras. I think I may have had a short one on the runway as i tripped for what seemed like no reason. so it takes about an hour to get home,

so we didnt get in until 2:45. I still havent eaten anything and was super tired. I had been fighting falling alseep the whole ride home as i didnt want to have a seizure with only his mum and aunt in the car. *we dropped jacquie off at a friends place* because they would panic and probably shoved something in my mouth. regardless of how many times they've been told. The second I was in the house I stubled my way down the stairs and slept until 4:30 and then got up and had a small plate of nachos.

Then we got home and we stayed up until midnight and now im at work. took my pills at 9 and then have been sitting here groggy ever since.

The Liquor Marts suck!

so to clarify the post above, Jacquie and I went into a liquor mart to buy the said wine. She wanted a bottle of sparkling wine while I wanted to try something I have never had before, and the magnum bottle was cheap, and i had every intention of sharing.

Jacquie went before me and paid for her wine. they ID'd her and it was fine. Then I went to pay for mine and they ID'd me, which I thought would be fine as I am 2 years older than her. But apparently not. My license is expired *as I can't renew it because I had it suspended due to Le Seizures* so she wouldnt let me buy it. It was just the driving part that was expired, the picture was valid until 2012. which has my age, my picture and my info on it. and these license cant exactly be forged. But no, she wouldnt let me.

I hate that policy!!!!!! The liquor marts no longer do the ID cards for those who dont drive. and I cant renew my license because its suspended. I can't go get a gun license to use it as ID, because im not allowed to handle firearms. I do not want to carry my passport with me all the time in case I need ID, as if I lose that, im screwed royally.

Anyone know what to do?

In the U.S. you can use your social security card as an I.D. -- does Canada have something similar?

No, I asked if she wanted to see my birth certificate, my health card and my Social Insurance card, but nope, it had to have a photo of me on it. I pointed out that my photo is still valid and she said it isnt without the blue driving part.

EDIT: I even looked at jacquie at said "well you buy it" and the lady refused to sell it to her as it would be considered a second hand sale. She even told me straight up that she wont allow her mum or aunt to come back in to buy it because she recognizes who they are. Then we went into another liquor mart and jacquie went in by herself and they didnt even ID her. I asked if I could get my photo done from the LM and she said they dont do it anymore. STUPID POLICY!

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky in Quebec our Medicare cards have our photos on them. I'm 30 and still get carded reguarly. Most days I find it funny but it always pisses me off when they ask for 2 peices of photo ID and act all shocked when I say I don't have a DL.

Alberta offers government issued ID like a DL, but without the license info. I checked, and MB does offer an ID card, but it may not be available to you, since you technically have a DL. Here's the link: http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/IDCards.pdf

it doesnt say in the listing but it does say that it is $20. but when I asked they said it was $65. I dont know if this is because I have a drivers license and it costs that much to renew each year. argh

stupid policy.
hopefully she was wrong. im going to go check that out again tonight.

In the U.S. you can use your social security card as an I.D. -- does Canada have something similar?

social security cards don't have a date of birth...? At least mine doesn't.

I use my military ID (I have one due to being 100% disabled through the VA) or my VA ID because most places require a photo ID for any age-restricted purchases. Also, each state here issues an ID for non-licensed folks because in the US, most states legally require anyone over a certain age to carry identification (it's generally not strictly enforced, but the law is on the books in most states) - do the respective provinces in Canada not issue ID cards, only licenses?

My nephew (who doesn't have a driver's license or Passport) was told he needed his social security card when he was applying to get his learner's permit. A copy of his birth certificate wouldn't do. Maybe it varies from state to state. And from province to province in Canada. But there should be some way to get on non-driver's ID card.

Sleep deprived EEG

I have a sleep deprived EEG on thursday. Again. But instead of me accidentally falling asleep during the relaxation portion, they want me to sleep for as long as I can. this is because during the relaxation portion they caught a small 3 second blip on the EEG.

I have no idea what i am going to do for that long... I have a real hard time staying awake now, where as before, I could pull all nighter for the entire weekend. The last time I did that is when I finished watching "the fourth kind" and it scared me so bad that I couldnt sleep for 4 days. even now if I think about it and hear my cats in the living room I get spooked and it takes me a while to convince myself its the cats and that I am safe.

*this movie is very well done!*

36 hours. so alot more than i would like at this point in time.

plus I cant eat 6 hours before the testing.

Why can't you eat? That seems weird. And 36 hours seems pretty extreme too. I guess they really really really want you to have a seizure while hooked up.

Brutal! I can barely function after 12 hours anymore lol I don't think I could stay up that long. At least, not without a caffeine drip and a scary story. Maybe you should watch that freaky movie again -- that'll help!

Yeah I agree.
Its seems like a big deal and when I asked my neuro why it needed to be so long, he just stated that its procedure, as they wanted me to be able to sleep for quite some time as opposed to just a little while. I told him when he booked it that I have a real hard time falling asleep and usually take melatonin to do so. and I also cannot sleep infront of strangers or without chad. So i think he scheduled the lack of sleep to be longer because I should have less trouble to fall asleep with all three of the above would usually be a problem.

Im not allowed caffeine in those last 6 hours either. or sugary substances. I think I am going to bring my mp3 player with britany spears song "three" to listen too. that should give them the results they want.

I hope Chad can drive you into the hospital...

yeah he is.
He is taking the day off school. Im still going to ask the tech and see if he can just hold my hand instead of cuddling or at least be in the room for me. it would really help.

I hope they let him stay with you there. I don't see why not. Hopefully they won't be jerks about it.

Back
Top Bottom