Diary of an Epileptic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I do understand where you're coming from, Rae. My seizures are so far apart and are completely controlled on the medication so I am often tempted to stop and see what happens. But, then I remind myself that I want (and need) to continue driving for my job. I only have 3 more years until early retirement and if I mess things up now, it would substantially put a dent in my retirement income -- not something I'm willing to do. I have decided though that if I continue to do well in the next 3 years, I will try discontinuing the medicine after retirement. I just want you to know that I do understand but that you do need to think about your health too!

I'm so sorry Rae, I know how tempting it is to ditch the meds. When I last went off meds, it was because I wanted to know how I felt off of them... I hope you feel better soon, and can take it easy for the next few days.

Since it seems like you and Lamictal are a bad fit, maybe you can explore trying a different med when you get a chance.

hand is okay. there is only one small dime size blister under my index finger on my right hand. But my knees are super bruised and sore, as well as my hip is charlie horsed.
Im tired today. I took my meds this morning, and I can already tell they are there. and i am back to feeling drugged. I liked the no drug feeling. although, when eric PM'd me, he mentioned that yes, he felt phenomenal on no meds, but others around noticed he was off. People around me have noticed too. Infact i noticed i was tripping up in my speaking and spelling too. as well as my coding and data entry a lot mor ethan usual. i just didnt care because I felt good.

It is really nice to have felt me again for those 4 days.

Update:
Last seizure: Februray 7th 2010, making Sunday almost 3 weeks again.
Lamictal: will be switching when I speak to my neuro. Thinking of trying Tegretol or something.
Neuro: Jerk, am in the process of requesting a new referal to a different, well loved, neuro.

If the lamictal makes you feel that way, then definitely try a different med -- everybody responds to each med differently. I hope your neuro doesn't pull the whole "I know your body best and you'll do what I say" attitude that doctors frequently do.

Alright.
Saturday ended my seizure free streak.
We were snowmobiling, and we hit a drift, and I slid off the sled. Not fast or hard, but I landed hard on my tail bone and knocked the wind out of me. plus hit my head a little too hard on this tree stand near by. So, it the midst of catcing my breath, I apparaently launched into a nice and loud vocal seizure. in front of the 70+ other riders out with us. Chad pulled my helmet off after, and I opened my eyes and barfed.

So he rode me back home, where after just making it inside the door, up-chucked on the kitchen floor. my head pounded, and i had major spins. and I mean major. So downstairs we went, where I lay down to nap. every half hour, chad woke me up to make sure i was okay in case I had a concussion. I barfed everytime I was woken up until there was nothing left in my stomach. finally fell asleep at about 6pm. Then at 9pm I had a really violent seizure that lasted about 8 minutes.
They called after 5 minutes, but the ambulance has to get to a rural part of the town, and down gravel road, so I was done the first seizure by about 5-6 minutes before they came in, and then i started into a smaller one. They gave me a quick check over. and waited for me to wake up a b it. then made me take a few meds and a sedative and I went to sleep.

Sunday I woke up feeling pretty gross, and layed on the couch and watch season one of Buffy the Vampire slayer. I had another small one on the couch at about4pm. Since then and some sleep and food, i've been okay. my tongue hurts, my tail bone hurts, my back hurts. it hurts to ake deep breaths from knocking the wind out of me, and my head feels slightly flater (jk, but it does hurt)

Update:
Last seizure: Saturday feb 27, and Sunday feb 28.
Lamictal: still taking it, but dont want to. not doing any good any more. at a lower dose it seemed to work pretty good for eliminating ALL my auras, but at that point it did nothing for any of the other seizures.
Neuro: jerk face.

It certainly sounds like you got a concussion. *sigh* Just what you needed.

I'm glad to see you still have your sense of humor. Despite it all. I really hope you get to change your meds soon. Take it easy and feel better. Did the Buffy marathon help?

yes it totally did. Oh man, Angel is so sexy when he was younger. *the actor*

So those of you reading this. If you have a seizure, and are stuck at home feeling cruddy, then pop in some episodes of your favourite series. start from season one. it'll be so much fun and relaxing

Awesome bracelet! That was fun watching you on video, Ms. Mumble lol

Nice product demo! You're ready for the Home Shopping Network now.

Lulz.

I like your bracelet better than mine!

*goes to order new bracelet* :rock:

lol, that mirror in the background is all that is left from when I smashed my head into it. it used to be from ceiling to floor.
lol

Hehe...glass and I do not get along well, so I try not to keep a lot of it around. My limbs tend to go flying through the stuff like it's not even there. :roflmao:

Yeah during a seizure I once busted the glass on a case holding some of my mom's collection of fancy art pottery. Fortunately I didn't break any of her stuff. My brother found me wandering around the laundry room apparently trying to figure out how to wash the blood out of my clothes (and dripping from the cut on my leg).

going away for the weekend. its almost saturday. which is nice. 2 more days and I'm at the one week mark again.
it feels like that first week just flies by, and then the 3 week rolls around and I get anxious. I think that I might start a bit of a video blog on this as well. Record some youtube videos and then link them on here.

See what kind of queston I can get online and answer them the best I can. *taking a cue from joan's daughter jenn here.* I like my mac, and its easy ability to record things.

I may even be able to get myself up a few of my song originals on there for you guys. providing I can fidn the time.

I emailed the Epilepsy foundation in my area a few weeks ago to see if they can help me in the process of changing neuros, and havent heard back from them yet. I also asked if they needed anymore volunteers and that I would like to help out the best I can. But I have a feeling that our local chapter actually doesnt do anything. I know that sounds bad, but on their website it looks like they haven had any community involvement for about 3 years.

Sad. Very Sad

Have a great weekend Rae. Its supposed be warm and sunny (over 50 degrees C) here, so I hope you got some of that where you are too.

that it is. snow is melting like crazy here now, but it always does this, then we get one last -60 blizzard and then we flood.

going to walk around in my new heels tonight to break them in before the runway modling on sunday, yay new shoes.

Back
Top Bottom