Do You Experience Psychic Phenomena?

Which of the following psychic phenomenon have you experienced?

• I know who is on the phone before I pick it up (without caller ID!)

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • I know the unknowable: I know the future, secret things about others, or other types of "knowing."

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • My psychic "knowing" almost always turns out later to be true.

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • I speak directly with god(s)/angels or I've heard/talked with demons.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • I see dead people. Sometimes I might even talk with them.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I can physically affect objects, like bend spoons or move pencils.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I'm electrical. Watches stop or run oddly, I short out things, lights go haywire, or I shock people.

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • I see auras around people. I feel their vibration or frequency, or I can see into their soul.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I've seen UFO's or encountered aliens.

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 46.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm glad to hear others...

...have these sorts of beliefs

I found it interesting to find that to treat some forms of chronic depression they trigger seizures

it began occurring to me that, well to put it simply, no one cares much for learning new things - it can be mentally arduous, tiring, straining...

these things made me begin to wonder if epilepsy is a form of growth of human mental consciousness, like tendrils on a vine that are spreading out to find where it can find a hold - such it may be with those with epilepsy
nature has found brain matter and conscious states comfortable with aspects of growth of human consciousness, which comes about by firing neurons in places and in combinations not typical
(keep in mind I'm not talking about ME - I'm talking about humankind overall - evolutionary steps by the micron here and there in individuals nature finds suitable)

I've thought that auras or psychic type of phenomena are not imagined mental states - rather broadened states of consciousness

animals observe, sense, and experience what their minds are capable of experiencing
human consciousness evolves just like bones, fingers, etc. and it does so through trial and error - and I believe the more this is understood, the more the world will realize they need to bow down in adoration of we epileptics as though we were gods and goddesses
:banana:

but for reals - where was I...
even at times where I may had not paid close attention to the weather (in Texas the weather changes a lot without warning) I can "feel" the weather
I'm guessing it's to do with the dew point/static electricity/conductivity...
I've observed this with and without knowing the weather - at times my body feels like it's had the rubbed-the-balloon-on-your-head static charge permeating my entire body
and then a massive thunderstorm for ex. and I'll feel it go away
this is not far fetched at all

some of the weirder things I've experienced as "psychic phenomena" are quite a bit weirder, as you and others would probably be aware of

some of that I have attributed also to this heightened sensing
it's easy to see someone smiling
it's harder to see someone fake smiling
or facial expressions
lilts to the voice, strain in voices
but minute facial tics and things like that, body posturing and things still indicate moods, what a person may be thinking.. that, along with electrical charge, and just like a latex balloon being sensed running over your hair, electrical charges also have minute effects on perception

at times I attribute auras and these other perception events to actual observational occurrences which may not be yet definable by the human mind, being that these events could be as foreign to the mind and body as gradually evolving from a primate-slouch posture into a familiar human posture

so hard to explain these types of things
I'm glad to find forums like this
PJO

At the risk of everyone thinking I'm nuts, because lots of people without epilepsy read this forum, and they just don't understand or "get it"....

I think that epilepsy is how extra skills and senses have been delivered to us. It is not a brain disfunction. This part is a brain enhancement. If only I could keep this part of epilepsy and ditch the rest. When the extra skills and senses kick in there is usually no aura, no unpleasant side to it other than sometimes I'm extra tired/energy drain.

If a person is within about 3 feet of me, I can feel their frequency or vibration. They feel like music to me - like it feels to have your hand on a stereo speaker but I feel it through my whole body. Everyone's energy feels different. I can tell a lot about them and their personality just by feeling their "vibe." And it almost always turns out to be accurate. It has come in very handy. It's beautiful in a crowded room, like a symphony of everyone's energy together, though I can only actually feel those who are right next to me. Some frequencies blend beautifully, like sails singing in the wind. Some clash in an abrasive-feeling chord, like a kid pounding his fist on the piano.

True or untrue, I've come to believe that a person's true soul isn't identified by their spoken name, it is identified by their energy. They take that with them wherever they go. A spoken name is just for here and now.

The phone - yep.

I can also help people with simple physical problems, like swelling, headache, different kinds of pain. I can tell where someone hurts without them telling me. I don't have to touch them, just get really close to them, and stay that way for about 3-5 minutes. So it's not good with total strangers, it has to be someone who is comfortable enough to have me close with no explanation of why. I don't tell them what I'm doing; since there is no touching no explanation is necessary. Afterwords I ask them how they are feeling, and they usually have specifics about how they are feeling better and what's gone away. All they know is they feel much much better by the time I leave. That's all I want them to know because there would be major weirdness if they knew I had helped out. Plus, I can't do it on command - it has to be a quiet gift with no pressure. Wish I could eliminate the underlying problem for them. Guess I haven't really tried, or haven't tried enough. I wonder what we could all do if we trained ourselves?

I can tell if someone is going to be okay when they are sick, and if not okay, about how long it will take (weeks, months, years). I don't like this ability. I wish it would go away. So far I'm 100% accurate with aquaintences. We keep in touch so I know how things turn out. Strangers I never see again so there's no data on whether what I sensed is accurate or not.

Electrical - I've had lights turn on around me, I just thought it was a short in the electrical system. Come to think of it, I still think that. Sometimes I short out electronic devices when I touch them. And I'm notorious for making computers go wacko. At work they've had to replace several of mine - the tech guys just scratch their heads. Cell phones are the exception. For some reason they've all been okay around me.

I am the same way. Not around electricity, but around people, animals, all my life. I have seen 2 angels. Felt more than 1 spirit. Now you really are going to thinks I'm nuts. I have lost a lot of my ablities over time. But some of the 6th sense abilities are much stronger. I think it's a wonderful thing and gift and we are given.

I am the same way. Not around electricity, but around people, animals, all my life. I have seen 2 angels. Felt more than 1 spirit. Now you really are going to thinks I'm nuts. I have lost a lot of my ablities over time. But some of the 6th sense abilities are much stronger. I think it's a wonderful thing and gift and we are given.
I have the same thing with animals-
birds have recently had an affinity for me

For me this was a refreshing read if you will. Me personally my experiencing "psychic phenomena" has long been around (going on 22 years now that I can remember )

But it does make you wonder...

Thanks for sharing gang!

Well, I have a new one to add to the list. Not my happiest either.
Recently my partner's grandmother passed away, it was a sad blessing as she had sever dementia. Right before the burial, my sis-in-law gave me apeice of jewerly belonging to her grandmother saying that as I family member I should have something of hers too.
While at the service, a voice came into my head. She was happy to remember again, regreting all the things she didn't have the chance to say, mad about the family feuding, and sending messages to the people in the family. Not everyone got their own message. I told my boyfriend and sister about the messages to them. Kurt is gifted but not in the same way so he understood immedialy as did his sister even though she is psychically null. They told me that the people who got messages would understand and those who didn't weren't "openminded". I let them give the information to the family members, I wasn't up to being any more different than I already am.

I dream alot. Most of them come true or tell me something specific either about myself or someone else, its usualy about someone else. Before I had my aneurysm, I dreamed that a angel/ghost whatever it was came to me in my sleep and said if I wanted, I could leave now. that I didnt have to go through any of this. I shunned him/it away. I told it that I didnt know who he was and to leave. "Your not Jesus, I said. Then as it was leaving, I realized that I wanted to go, so I fought to get up realizing that I was sleep so that I could go with it/him. My husband woke up out of his sleep and grabbed me. He said I was falling out of the bed, but I wasnt. I dreamed about 2 weeks later about a white owl. It flown into my car and landed in the back seat. I was terrified. I didnt know what it meant, but I knew it wasnt good. It looked at me real strange, I turned my head and tried to wake up, it then flew to my shoulder and rubbed its head against my cheek as if to say, its ok, its going to be ok. So a few months later, I had the annie. My sister said, after surgery, I looked like a zombie. She said when I looked at her it was as if someone else was looking at her as if i was looking right into her soul. I made her nervouse and she left the room. I think the dream was a warning of what was to come. I dont dream that much anymore, but when I do it is always bad things. When I was younger, I use to dream about flying. I flew all the time. Each time i flew higher than the last dream. So when I went to sleep at night, I would tell my self that Im tying my leg to the bedpost so that I had a way to get back. I hated those dreams. The worse of all.....was dreaming that I was awake, I could hear everything that went on around me. But i couldnt wake up no matter how hard I tried. I would be talking to those near me, begging them to touch me so that I could wake up. Finally, if I just moved my finger or big toe, i would wake up. Often I told those around me what was said or done. They thought I was crazy of course. Sometime so do I.

That's not all folks!

Now, I see things, white lights and dark shapes. I also saw my father a few years after he died. He looked just like himself, had a blank expression on his face. He looked at me and didnt say a word, but his face said do not say a word. He had no hands or feet, and he floated down the hall, never looking back at me. He was surrounded in a while cloud like, but it looked like a robe so to speak. I freaked out, screamed and scared everyone in the house that morning. this was many, many years ago. Sometimes I can sense something bad is going to happen.

This sounds so much like my brother!! I've never really experienced any of these things, but it was so weird reading through this stuff and your stories and thinking of my brother. He's predicted many deaths. He just gets this feeling and he knows that within the next few days, someone he knows is going to die. He doesn't know who, though. He's contacted many spirits or demons or whatever. When we were kids, he used to see creepy stuff and weird things would happen in his room, like when he was about 7 he had a remote control car that just turned on by itself in the middle of the night. We used to think our house was haunted. I even experienced these "hauntings"- hearing weird things, seeing dark figures out of the corner of my eye, and that kind of stuff. Once we tried to be paranormal investigators in our house, and we went in my room with a tape recorder and my brother talked and tried to get something to answer, then when we listened to the tape, we got some voice saying "people kill". OMG that was the scariest moment of my life, hearing that recording. He even saw my grandfather once after he'd died. When my brother went away to college all that stuff stopped, but would come back again whenever he came home on breaks. I realized that he's haunted- not our house. :eek:( He's also very sympathetic of others. Everyone comes to him with their problems and he's so affected by other peoples' moods.
I've suspected for a while now that he may get some kind of seizures. Mostly in his sleep. He gets myoclonic jerks a lot when he's about to fall asleep, and just a lot of strange things happen to him while he's sleeping that could be attributed to seizures.

Last edited:
Also, I have a form of savant-ism called Synesthesia. Music, numbers, letters, words, days of the week, months of the year, names, feelings--they all have their own color. There are several different types of Synesthesia, too, like being able to see people's auras, as some people here described. http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/

I think I have that, too. Although I don't "see" it as if it's right in front of me. I see it in my mind's eye. But I unconsciously assign colors to certain words or feelings. It's not super strong because I have a hard time trying to catalogue what words or letters are assigned what colors, but I just know it's happening. Does anyone else think in pictures? I sometimes wonder if this is related to the way my brain works because of the Epilepsy. I think in pictures, not words. I didn't even know until I was about 24 or 25 that most people think in words, kind of like a running dialogue in their head. I've always thought in pictures and colors and the sense of things, if that makes sense. I think I'm going to start a poll about this...

Whew!! And I thought it was just me...boy am I glad This site exists! I create static on radios, watches are not my friend, I feel microwaves, and I hate watching tense movies as I seem to be an emotional sponge! Of course there is 'other' stuff I prefer not to post as I often feel nutty enough...ahhh the wonder of E!

I can read people. Sometimes. Some people are so closed you just can't read them. But I grew up trusting people. That's a laugh. When I read people I am opening up a very big part of me. So now I am very careful. I have been to by a Psychic that I am a Psychic.I think also its a part of everybody. It is how they are made. It's what you do with it.

Wow I'm really surprised to see this on here, but good surprised! Let's see, psychic phenomenon...I always seem to just know things, sometimes without realizing it. Psychic dreams have always run in my family, my great grandmother, my nana, my mom, myself and my two sisters all have them. We don't usually talk about it much, but I think the weirdest episode was five years ago, I dreamed my mom's best friend had passed away, three days later my mom was informed her best friend had died three days before from breast cancer. She never told us it had come back, because she didn't want to upset my mom. My friends all make jokes about it, haha, my high school nickname was Genie as my name is Janine :p

something that came to mind I can add here

the Ft. Worth museum had a Van Gogh show many years ago before I was diagnosed with epilepsy, and before I was diagnosed recently with having psychotic episodes during/post seizure at times... I have a BFA and always loved Van Gogh's paintings so I had to go to the show.

Maybe one of the first pieces of his I saw I set in my head to just look at this one painting of his for the remainder of the time the museum was open - about a half-hour or so. I learned somewhere that the average time a person spends viewing a piece of art at a museum is something like 3-5 seconds. Since I loved his work and life (him having schizophrenic/mental issues during his life) and dedication I decided to dedicate myself to viewing this one piece for a long time. After a while the piece came "alive" - as in motion, swirls, the brush strokes each took on a life of their own.
It's hard to describe, and I dismissed the effects it had on me as afterimages and types of sensory deprivation effects, but it brought me to tears and filled me with emotions.
In retrospect I wonder if there was some way his mental issues transmogrified into paint, which then transmogrified into a partial seizure for me.
Psychic phenomenon I guess?
art is a psychic phenomenon itself!

I know I have seen one angel for sure (in a dream state, but it was real). I know angels visit me (especially the one in the dream state) because I smelled him smoking (this is no joke).
I often dream about my mom or sister or grandma. All whom have passed. I don't know that it is like my friend exactly. I'd like it to be.

My younger son would see my sister (up until recently). What she was wearing. She was always on a beach. Very interesting to me.

I can "feel" when my best friend, something is wrong. She doesn't have to call me. We may not have talked for days.

I've also seen floating orbs of light, really big ones. I have felt and smelled pets that have passed away also. Each time I get a strange odor from nowhere, I dont associate it with E. Sometimes the odor is pleasant and sometimes unpleasant. Dosent matter which it is, it always triggers a memory, a pacific place or time. I might as well share the most scary event: My husband and I was argueing one night, I dont remember what we were argueing about. But, I got mad and went downstairs to sleep on the sofa. Im not afraid of the dark, so I didnt turn on any lights. I layed down with my face toward the back of the sofa and my back facing the living room. I felt someone touch my back, I first thought it was one of my cats so I didnt turn around, something touched me again and it felt like a hand, a really big hand, so I turned around thinking it was my husband coming to apologize and nothing/no one was there. I could feel every hair on the back of my neck standing up (like static electricity) so I turned my back to the back of the sofa and I faced the living room. Just as I was getting comfortable, something touched my shoulder, I opened my eyes, I could see one cat sitting on the loveseat and the other sitting on the dinning room table. I swiped my arm thinking maybe a piece of hair or spider was on me. I again closed my eyes and a few seconds later something touched me real hard, kind of like a shove, I thought I dont want to see it whatever it was, then I felt air in my face, like someone was breathing on me, I had to open my eyes, thinking for sure its one of the cats......well, to my surprise it was a bald old man, his eyes were very angry, he was trully pissed about something, I looked at him and he me, then he said "Get your but off this couch and go back upstairs to your husband where you..........." I didnt hear the rest of it, because I did just as he said. I got up and flew up the stairs jumped in the bed so hard that my husband litteraly lifted up off the bed and landed right on top of me. He asked what the h-ll was I doing? I told him there was a man down stairs that told me to get back in the bed. My hubby first laughed until he realized how scared I was. He went down stairs to see if the man was there, and of course he wasnt. He came back upstairs, grabbed me in his arms and held me for the rest of the night. I never slept downstairs again and I don't know who the man was. I've never seen him before and I've never seen him again!

I am so glad to be reading this. I know I commented, but re-reading these posts, makes me feel normal.
I had to laugh. Once, I smelled {when we lived in Alaska} Sammy smoking (I made my husband check everywhere {we do not smoke} to see if someone was outside somewhere). The next time it happened, I made my dh roll on of me (we were watching TV) and he smelled it too, so I know I am not crazy, but man some ppl think you are, so I never tell anyone.

We've smelled the smoke here in AZ too... of course now I don't know if it is Sammy, my mom or sister. :) All whom smoked when alive.

I've definitely had other types of psychic phenomenon - and far-flung predictions which came true - but I'd rather not go into them.
I support the general idea that those with epilepsy have the ability to make associations between events others can not, simply because we have brain pathways others do not from the fact that so much more of our brains are functioning during seizures, beyond ability to rationalize anything, and given that we have a reawakening, a rebooting.

sure, it's a concussion, but it's internal - and I think it can be a way to have a broadening of the perceptions

Ok, I posted another reply to this but I've deleted it because after a second read i realized it was kind of unnecessarily negative. Really it's none of my business who believes what. I should just speak for myself. This is a really sensitive subject for me. On the one hand I am a hardcore pragmatist and tend to question everything and demand empirical, objective evidence to back claims etc....on the other hand I have experienced some weird stuff really weird stuff. Do I think it's psychic phenomena? it depends on the definition, if by psychic phenomenon we mean "Something that happens in the brain" then sure, but if we mean "Supernatural and mystical" I don't think I even accept the existence of such things. Prior to seizures I have seen myself on the other end of the room, I've watched the water in the shower slow and then stop frozen in mid air, I've watched my entire environment fall apart like it was made of legos, I've seen sequences of events sort of clipped up into individual frames like on a strip of film.

Are those psychic phenomena? I have no idea but they are perfectly valid experiences, I mean I did really experience them...I just have no idea what it means and I have nobody who can relate to it. I can cope with weirdness of it all, I'm a creative person that's not hard but being alone in it...that's hard.

. Prior to seizures I have seen myself on the other end of the room, I've watched the water in the shower slow and then stop frozen in mid air, I've watched my entire environment fall apart like it was made of legos, I've seen sequences of events sort of clipped up into individual frames like on a strip of film.

I have experienced the things that you mentioned recently, prior to, I have experienced supernatural events as a child up into adult hood. I have not been diagnosed as having seizures, but I truly believe that I am, and again the slow motion, lego effect things only started after my surgury. I understand where you're coming from and I to question some events that has happened to me recently. I have experienced them both. The things that you have described above kind of gave me concrete evidence that I may very well be having aura's/simple partial seizures? I'm never sure how to classify them. All the seizure/aura stuff is new to me. Thanks for your post. I found it helpful!

I deeply appreciate your reply. :) I have spent more time than you can know in my life wondering if I was insane, staying silent and living in fear that my loved ones or friends might change the way they look at me or even try to have me committed despite the fact that i am very capable of maintaining rational and civilized social behavior.

I don;t think i believe in Psychic phenomenon...once more but I have not discounted the possibility that this is just evolution awkwardly moving forward. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the other monkeys when some of them suddenly started walking upright. Probably I think ...if they were thinking anything they were worried that there was something wrong with them.... that's what i think. Is it useful? maybe , maybe not?

My view is that we should try to make use of it. I have two corneal abrasions on my retina in my left eye, they are equally spaced vertically, for a while they annoyed me but later on i realized I could use them to measure the height of objects at a great distance.. so what's useful has more to do with what we find use in i think. :)

Back
Top Bottom