Do you smoke

Do you smoke

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I smoke both, in fact smoking the other got me addicted to tobacco.

I do however hardly smoke any of the other *these days* of being old lol and I'm constantly flipping between trying to quit cigs using vaporisers/E-cigs and getting drunk and smoking a real 1 *sighs*

Apparently cigs are more addictive than heroin- which I can attest to. That was easy to stop compared to these little buggers :S

Stopping tobacco was one of the hardest things I have ever done and it was at one of the most stressful times in my life. Glad I did it though because I don't think I could still afford a 3 pack a day habit any longer.

I hear ya there MAB. I had a 2 pk a day habit until I got pregnant with my oldest, and he's 16! Quitting may have been easier for me since I had a good incentive not to smoke.

No way could I afford it anymore!

I smoked for 33 years and finally quit on January 31, 2014. I miss it every day; but knew that I had to quit. In addition to the epilepsy, I had stage 3 cancer. Go with your gut feeling and you will know if/when you need to quit. Don't make excuses why you may still smoke (I did that thru chemo, surgery, and radiation) but go with your intuition of when you are feeling good. What they put in cigarettes to keep us addicted is very sad, if I can quit, anyone can! :)
I always say go with your gut feeling. Two of my doctors even told me to trust my gut feelings because I am almost always right even when they can't figure me out right away.

That's 20s right? Jeez I thought I was bad lol

Good on ya :)

Yep, 60 per day. I ordered Smoking Joe's over the internet from an Indian reservation. Reservations are, or were, not subject to the same laws as the states and did not charge tax. Most of the cost of cigarettes are all the taxes.

Just like nipping over the Channel to France for the day in a hired van to stock up from a 'hyper-marche' (or anywhere in the EU- France is nearest)

The tax over here apparently goes to the NHS- as smokers use the most resources for treatment- but it's complete BS

Same here in the US and I agree it's complete BS. Our entire government is BS.

I smoke. I smoke a lot. After having a seizure, a cigarette helps me make the panic disappear, start talking again, get out of that dark place. It’s not that tobacco does that, it’s just my way to relax.

Once my doctor – who is a little weird but has gained my trust – asked if I smoked. I replied yes reluctantly, expecting a boring doctor speech about the risks. Actually, he just said “that’s OK” and told me that neuros are the only doctors who don’t force people to quit. I am not sure if he was implying that relieving stress helps to control seizures or that nicotine withdrawal may be hard when dealing with them. Maybe he is a smoker himself or was just being funny. But he did say smoking is not affecting my epilepsy.

This is my experience, perhaps for others it can be a trigger. I don’t want to idealize smoking. I admire people who choose to quit and try to be supportive. I just don’t like being told I have to stop because I “have an illness”. That is inaccurate.

I just don't understand...please help me to understand...why God why???

I smoke when I'm around my mom... >__<

Other than that, I don't really smoke. I have an eCig, but I never use it, and I just don't have the money to buy my own cigarettes. *shrug*

1321478985.jpg

I just don't understand...please help me to understand...why God why???

You have to be a smoker to understand all this. If you aren't then it just makes no sense.

You have to be a smoker to understand all this. If you aren't then it just makes no sense.

I was once a smoker (for a little while) so I do understand...I meant I don't understand why some people can't quit...for me it's no prob...but then again I have my own "addictions" that I can't seem to quit...so now I got my feet covered in honey and it's difficult to remove...I tried smoking again about a month ago when I was really stressed and I almost barfed my brains out...literally

If you've only smoked for a little while, maybe a year or two but I don't know what you consider your 'little while', then it's easier to quit. If you've smoked for probably 10 years or more it's a good bit harder.

I's just part my daily routine too. I get up and have a cigarette, after I eat I have one, before I take a nap I have one, before I go to bed I have one. I don't even realize I'm doing it, it's just normal. There are other times during the day that I have one too but those are the main times.

If I get really stressed I need one. It helps me calm down, a lot.

Hi MrE, good for you for being able to stop smoking. It doesn't come easy for everyone, plus, some folks enjoy it and have no desire to quit and that's ok too. Pimples now curious what your addictions/vices are. :pfft:

hahah just saw the autocorrect pimples and I laughed so hard that I'm just going to leave it there...lolololol!

Go wash your feet.. :p

Love u MrE. :)

(My big vice is quality beer and a few other things I won't mention..haha.)

Last edited:
After having a seizure, a cigarette helps me make the panic disappear, start talking again, get out of that dark place.

DITTO. as soon as I am somewhat adjusted and can talk I reach for my purse. it makes me feel somewhat like the normal me, as many of you know how strange you feel when coming out of a grand mal.

Actually, he just said “that’s OK” and told me that neuros are the only doctors who don’t force people to quit.

my first neurologist said the same, that I needed to make changes in my life with this new disease but not to worry about quitting smoking. my neurosurgeon on the other hand continues to say the opposite, he's like 'c'mon, smoking is bad for you what do you want me to say.'
my guess is b/c of how different they are in the medical field. they both work with the brain but my surgeon is saving my life so doesn't get why one would have their brain cut open to get better, but stay a smoker.
ummmm, I totally get that, but he's not the one on the table so doesn't quite understand. stress triumphs, and going ahead with the surg was stressful beyond words. light up!

on the other hand why go through the ultimate surgery to get better but still risk lung cancer? yep. quitting is certainly a guaranteed goal I will achieve, but like Valerie says, when i'm ready.

hugs all.

Back
Top Bottom