EEG in 4 days, first one normal, second one could be different, was yours?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have my EEG in 4 days and the first results were normal & Neurologist says things can change from the first one and it's possible that the bleed I had covered reason for the seizure.

I've been seizure free for 1 year and 10 months & read that you can have a seizure within 2 years of first one even if you don't have them until 2 years later. How many have had a normal EEG first time, then second time it changed? How many here have had one seizure then gone 2 years or more without one and then had another?

I follow up with my Neurologist December 3rd after my EEG and his office called to make sure I have the EEG before my appointment. Right now I have no answers to why I had a seizure and that may change Tuesday but it may not but doesn't mean there's not something there.

I know that something has been different since my seizure, my brain doesn't feel abnormal but it doesn't feel the same as it did before, know what I mean?

The brain is changing all the time. Something may show up one time, but not the next, or vice versa. So your neuro is hoping that second time's the charm...
Being sleep-deprived can increase the likelihood of an abnormal EEG, so if it's not a safety issue you might want to stay up the night before your EEG.

Thanks & due to the fact I also had a high potassium and a brain bleed all going on at once, that could have inhibited the results.

God luck with the EEG -- let us know how it goes.

Yes, EEGs can change -- you can have a "normal" EEG one time, and then an abnormal the next time, but usually if the epilepsy is progressive, or if you're having a lot of seizures around the time of the abnormal EEG.

When Jon has those 30 min or so daytime EEGs, they're usually normal. He's had 48 hour EEGs that were also normal (even when having several seizures a week). His 30 min EEG this past March was normal, but the one he had a month ago (sleep) showed abnormal waves in temporal lobe during sleep. But in March he hadn't had a seizure in a year, and in the past month he's been having seizures every day.

However, in your case, since it's been some time since you've had a seizure, the doctor is probably just ordering it as a routine test. Often, if you go without a seizure for 2 years, and have a normal EEG, the neurologist will consider reducing your seizure meds.

Unfortunately, yes, you can go for some time without a seizure, and then have then again. Jon had 3 long periods of being seizure free -- the first time 2 years, the second time 1 1/2 years, and the third time 1 year.

However, I think you will fare better -- certainly hope so. I think adult seizures are usually easier to control than childhood (with a few rare exceptions).

Tomorrow is the day, will let you know what happens. Would be nice to have answers but also it could be bad if I did have a seizure cause it could restrict a lot of things. Crossing my fingers for the best outcome

Called my Doctors office today & he has the results but hasn't looked them over yet, so it'll probably be Monday before I get them maybe. I hope so, anxious to know.

The waiting is almost the hardest part. I hope you get some answers soon.

Back
Top Bottom