EEG & MRI? What to expect, ways to prepare, etc.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

iwasphone

New
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm going to be getting an EEG and an MRI soon and I have no idea what to expect. I hear in the EEG they will try to induce seizures in suspected epileptics like me, and I can't say I'm overly excited about that part. I've read a lot online about the "things to do" beforehand and stuff but it's all really impersonal and written like an E-How article.

I guess what I'm looking for is personal experiences. I'm just insanely nervous, haha, even though I know I definitely shouldn't be what with the medical professionals all around and everything, but... I'm still all very new to this whole thing.

Thank you for reading! You guys have been so great. I'm so glad to have found such a warm community of people!

Ive had TONS Of EEGs and MRIs in my lifetime. Check out the thread that epileric gave ya. I responded in that. :)

They just make you breathe fast and flash lights at you and stuff with the EEG. It's actually quite boring lol. The MRI is pretty boring too! You just lay still in a big open tube machine and try and ignore all the clunking noises! You'll be just fine :)

Take your favourite CD to the MRI and they'll play it for you through headphones so you don't get so bored and it blocks out some of the clunking noises. Or ask them to put the radio on for you :)

When I had my MRI, the only things they had me do was take out my valuables that I had in my pockets such as wallet, keys, etc. They ask you to take out things that are metal that are removable cause it can interfere with the quality of the pictures. I wasn't given an option to hear music, they just gave me ear plugs and even with those, the noise was still loud.

I don't know if it was just where I had my EEG or if it's something that's done typically but when I was being tested, the part when they had you breathe fast, they had me blow onto a pinwheel for three minutes straight without stopping & it made me so lightheaded. And of course the flashing lights

Back
Top Bottom