Epilepsy and cluster migraines

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ccaronn

New
Reaction score
Hi,
Unfortunately, I am back hoping, once again, for some help from the very supportive and kind people who participate on this Forum. Background info: My son, 27 years old and developmentally delayed, suffered two tonic clonics on March 10, 2014. They were only the 3rd and 4th he's suffered in his life. Previously, he had two tonic clonics on May 31, 2012. He was taking 400 mg of Dilantin (phenytoin) a day and went 22 months seizure free and then on March 10th of this year our lives changed once again. He is now taking phenytoin 3 times a day for a total of 500 mg daily. Our local neuro prescribed Keppra for what appeared to be partials that started on March 15, 2014. He appeared to be having daily partials but in hindsight they may have been cluster migraines. (We tapered off that awful drug, Keppra, and his personality and energy level are now pretty good again.) We just finished Keppra on May 13, 2014. As a side note: On April 7th, we went to Rush U. Med. Center to see Dr. Michael C. Smith, an epileptologist who specializes in seizures in the developmentally disabled, and it was Dr. Smith, whom I highly respect - he is the director of the Epilepsy Center at Rush U Med Center and treated Joey in 2012 - who said Joey's symptoms didn't sound like partial seizures but rather cluster migraines.

Present Day: Joe has sharp, piercing pains, stomach aches, sweats, nausea and dizziness that come on suddenly and seem to be increasing in frequency. He's ultra sensitive to sound, especially to wind, light, sunlight, touch and wants to walk around, loosen his belt buckle and take a shower while these episodes last. He had these symptoms the night of Mother's Day, and almost every day since. They are very scary as he and I both think he's going to seize but he never loses consciousness or has tremors or twitches or muscle contractions. He did complain of a stiff neck today after today's episode but I think that happens with migraines too. The episodes last about 30 - 45 minutes and are painful and difficult as he is very fearful and irritable. Does this sound like migraines to anyone here? He recovers well afterwards but I am not sure what I should be doing for him.
Dr. Smith did say that if we determine that he is having actual partials, we can add Topamax to his meds, which apparently helps with both seizures and migraines.
Any words of wisdom will be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Christine

I have both, and they sound more like cluster migraines to me. The biggest tipoff is the sensitivity to light with these. When you group together light sensitivity, headache, nausea and daily reappearance, they sound like classic migraines. His fear around these is just going to make them worse so I would try to do whatever you both can to relax. Topamax is considered really effective for migraines, and in the chance that they are seizures, it is effective for those too.

Thank you very much, lindsayschu2, I will talk to
Dr. Smith about the Topamax!

Back
Top Bottom