Epilepsy and PMS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate123

New
Reaction score
Hi,
My epilepsy is well controlled but I suffer really bad PMS, with bad mood swings. I've been told I can't take evening primrose or starflower oil as they exacerbate the epilepsy, and am desperate. Can anyone recommend anything at all that will manage mood swings ups/downs, but not affect the sodium valproate I take?
Thanks
Kate

Hi,
My epilepsy is well controlled but I suffer really bad PMS, with bad mood swings. I've been told I can't take evening primrose or starflower oil as they exacerbate the epilepsy, and am desperate. Can anyone recommend anything at all that will manage mood swings ups/downs, but not affect the sodium valproate I take?
Thanks
Kate

Hi Kate,
Here's one link from a goggle search on magnesium and PMS. You may want to check with the pharmacist about whether magnesium could interfere with your valproate if you are going to try it. Magnesium also can help seizures, so maybe try two google searches on magnesium for seizures and for PMS.

The PMS and Food ConnectionThe benefits of calcium and magnesium for PMS are well supported. A study in The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reported that 1200 mg a day ...
www.healthatoz.com/.../standard/tra...healthatoz/Atoz/hc/wom/fitn/alert09112001.jsp - 59k

And this link is from a google search too: "PMS" "Magnesium" "Water retention"

Water retention before your period: How to stop the swelling ...Calcium. Studies show that taking 1200 milligrams (mg) of calcium a day may reduce water retention, cramps and other physical symptoms of PMS. Magnesium. ...
www.mayoclinic.com/health/water-retention/WO00130 - 37k

Last edited:
Maybe a good workout will get rid of the excess stress/adrenaline? That works for me.

Chocolate + Coffee = NO PMS!

:D

This is not a Medical Advice. Nor intended to be
any medical advisories, but some women swear by
it! I do not suffer from PMS.

Thanks so much guys, I'll try taking more magnesium and calcium - gotta be worth a try and I'm sure my boyfriend could only agree!

I work out pretty much every day as I do Olympic triathlons, and do yoga and play the piano to chill, but even that doesn't help sometimes. I have no idea why the mood swings (especially short temper) have got so bad lately, is there any direct link between epilepsy and short temper? I don't lose it unless provoked by someone insulting my brain, intellect or appearance (so probably just a straightforward link to low self esteem?! generally worse in the couple of days before my period) but then tend to properly lose it - chuck wine, slam doors etc. Not pretty. It's usually gone as quickly as it appears, but it's scary when it comes out. Any other ideas gratefully received - I just want a calm, stable 2008 ...!

Happy New Year, all the best for 2008, and thanks again,

Kate

Last edited:
Hi Kate, welcome to the forum. :hello:

OOPS!
Hi Kate WELCOME!
We have another Kate, and I was not realizing you are a NEW Kate.
Glad you could stop by, and hope you find some helpful information.

Hi Kate,
Welcome to the group! Try a google search on "homocysteine" "anger" and on "homocysteine" "vitamins". You will find that folic acid and B12 deficiencies can cause homocysteine levels in your blood to increase and this can very much affect your moods and mental states. Also search on "homocysteine" "seizure threshold". There are lots of things to explore with diet and supplements and much you can do to reduce the risk of having a seizure and those awful mood swings.
One of the symptoms of my partial seizures was sudden bouts of anger, or even crying jags and sudden intense despair. That was the seizure. Many things helped me get the seizures under control and diet was very critical. In my opinion and experience, when the toxic stuff builds up in our blood it triggers the reactions that lead to the extreme emotions.

Thanks so much guys, I'll try taking more magnesium and calcium - gotta be worth a try and I'm sure my boyfriend could only agree!

I work out pretty much every day as I do Olympic triathlons, and do yoga and play the piano to chill, but even that doesn't help sometimes. I have no idea why the mood swings (especially short temper) have got so bad lately, is there any direct link between epilepsy and short temper? I don't lose it unless provoked by someone insulting my brain, intellect or appearance (so probably just a straightforward link to low self esteem?! generally worse in the couple of days before my period) but then tend to properly lose it - chuck wine, slam doors etc. Not pretty. It's usually gone as quickly as it appears, but it's scary when it comes out. Any other ideas gratefully received - I just want a calm, stable 2008 ...!

Happy New Year, all the best for 2008, and thanks again,

Kate

Hey, I'm in total agreement with Brain!! Chocolate's the stuff!!!!! I pass on the coffee.
Justification: antioxidants!

Sorry Kate!

:hello: Kate!

Forgive me in not welcoming you!

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Hey, I'm in total agreement with Brain!! Chocolate's the stuff!!!!! I pass on the coffee.
Justification: antioxidants!

Premenstrual chocolate craving is a phenomenon that has puzzled a great many women who are not controlled by this overwhelming urge at other times of the month. Yet chocolate, which is highest in magnesium of all foods, is often a sign of magnesium deficiency. If your diet is high in calcium you may have poor calcium absorption as well. The answer is not to eat more chocolate, but to increase your magnesium by eating more whole grains, nuts, seafood, and green vegetables, and by increasing your magnesium supplements. Your chocolate cravings will vanish when you have enough magnesium in your diet.

http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml

Learn something new everyday!

Premenstrual chocolate craving is a phenomenon that has puzzled a great many women who are not controlled by this overwhelming urge at other times of the month. Yet chocolate, which is highest in magnesium of all foods, is often a sign of magnesium deficiency. If your diet is high in calcium you may have poor calcium absorption as well. The answer is not to eat more chocolate, but to increase your magnesium by eating more whole grains, nuts, seafood, and green vegetables, and by increasing your magnesium supplements. Your chocolate cravings will vanish when you have enough magnesium in your diet.

Reese cups, M&M's, Mars Bars, Milky Ways, Godiva, all explained away......

d1911f35.jpg

Thanks everyone for welcoming me, and for all the suggestions - you have helped and cheered me up so much! I really was at my wit's end, my doctor had no suggestions except to tell me all the things I could NOT take/try, and although my mum has epilepsy too, she won't ever talk about it and doesn't like me to discuss it - so I was feeling really frustrated and lost. Can't believe I hadn't joined a forum before now, thank you!

Next question then - I've been told not to bother having children (another male doctor) as the sodium valproate I'm on will cause severe neural tube disorders in the foetus, and if I come off the medication to protect the baby, would almost certainly have seizures again which would put the baby at more risk. I'd made the decision to come off the medication and make sure I got the diet / sleep / exercise balance as right as I possibly could to minimise the risk of seizures, but anyone have any other ideas? Anyone else been in the same situation and found a good way round it? I was pretty upset at the black & white views of the neurologist I saw - I was surprised to meet a doctor so rigid in his views and unsympathetic. Incidentally he doesn't have epilepsy ... I asked him.

Thanks again for this support, you have no idea how much it's helping me realise I'm not alone. thank you.

Kate

Gonna have to find a an International Ticket to Out of Country on this post!

http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml

Errrrrrrrrrr......

I think 10 million Women would still prefer
Chocolates!

:roflmao: :pfft:

Gives them an excuse for men to go out
and buy them something along with

:rose: :rose:

and

:hungry:

Don'tcha think???

Thanks Brain but the advice offered by the others has really helped as it's very constructive; chocolate isn't going to solve PMS, it would just make me have an ass down to my knees and give me heartburn! Thanks everyone else for the tips on magnesium, calcium and other alternative therapies; have followed up on your ideas and found some other options too. You've really helped. Happy New Year!

Any thoughts on the pregnancy/ foetus / medication predicament??

thanks
K

yes, that is correct Montse

Kate, I always know when I am forgetting to take my magnesium. My migraines have always been monthly. I use to be able to count the days and prepare myself. I never had anything to drink (alcohol) as it would trigger an huge one. Now the magnesium and COQ10 seem to do the trick. I have also started taking epsom salt baths. Obviously has magnesium in it, but it also helps to pull toxins from the body.

I hope this can help you.

Last edited:
Thank you, in my ignorance I was thinking it was partial "m" seizures:ponder:but after reading about...

Back
Top Bottom