Epilepsy and PMS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There's Medical Doctors out there that
have advised women to eat some Tums
with Calcium - so you might want to ask
your Neuro about that (or your Pharmacist).

That's one option there.

Calcium for me was not recommended. In fact ... not recommended.

I never specifically asked, but one time when I mentioned to him that Rebecca's pediatrician suggested Cal-Mag supplement he practically jumped up and said No No No.
I then came home and did a little bit of research and found that we have tipped the scale. So much interest has been put on taking calcium, that we have all looked past the fact that we are magnesium deficient.

Calcium needs magnesium to be absorbed. Calcium is stored in our bones, and yet magnesium is eliminated.

When I was reading the book Excitotoxins: a taste that kills .. I read an interesting section that I would like to share with you. Perhaps we could have a discussion about this. Surely I am not a medical doctor but I have been trying so hard to understand this.

Calcium and Cell Death
It has been known for some time that many cells, especially neurons, contain special pores or channels that regulate the entry of calcium into the cell. These special pores are named calcium channels. These channels play an important role in the normal functioning of the neurons. In fact, it is thought that the calcium channels play a vital role in activation of neurons and transmission of their impulses. When a neurotransmitter (the chemical messenger or key) comes into contact with the receptor (the lock) on the neuron fiber's membrane, the calcium channel opens and the in-flowing calcium triggers the neuron to fire or be activated.

Normally this opening and closing of the calcium channel is carefully regulated. When stimulated this channel opens for only a fraction of a second, allowing minute amounts of calcium to enter the neuron. Like glutamate concentrations outside the cell, calcium concentrations inside the cell are carefully controlled by special protective mechanisms. Should too much calcium enter the cell,special calcium pumps drive the excess back out of the neuron. Somme of the calcium is also captured and stored within the endoplasmic reticulum of the cell, a long wavy structure within the cytoplasm.

It appears that several of the excitotoxins, including glutamate and aspartate, work by opening calcium channels, at least on certain subtypes of receptors. When these neurotransmitters are allowed to come into contact with the receptor in too high a concentration or for too long a period of time, the calcium channel gets stuck in the open position, allowing calcium to pour into the cell in large amounts.

When the happens the protective mechanisms are triggered. But, as with the glutamate pumps, the calcium pumps also require large amounts of energy as ATP. this energy must be supplied continuously, especiallly if the calcium continues to enter in large amounts and for a prolonged period of timme.

So how does calcium actually kill the cell? This is an area of intense research and interest because these calcium channels appear to play an important part in a multitude of seemingly unrelated diseases, such as strokes, heart attacks, arthritis, brain injury, migraine headaches, and cancer.

quoted from Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills by Russell Blaylock M.D.

Last edited:
If this protective system fails because of the lack of energy, glutamate will begin to accumulate and stimulate the receptors on the surface of the cell membraine allowing calcium to pour into the cell. As a result the neuron will become overexcited. Also, excess calcium triggers a cascade of destructive reactions that can lead to cell death. Normally this protective mechanism is very efficient in keepin gthis from happening, but it requires large amounts of energy to operate efficiently. Fortunately, the neuron has a back-up or "fail safe" system should excess calcium enter the neuron. Once excess calcium is detected within the neuron, it will begin to pump this excess calcium back out of the cell. Normally this is a very efficient process, but it too requires large amounts of celluare energy for its operation.

So what can cause energy in the brain to fail? One of the most common causes is hypoglycemia - low blood sugar. The brain uses glucose, a simple sugar, as its primary fuel. In fact, the brain, which weighs only three pounds (2% of the body's weight), consumes over 25% of all of the glucose used in the body. Unfortunately, it cannot sotre energy, so when this supply of glucose is shut off, the brain quickly begins to fail. This is why some people have difficulty concentrating or they feel fuzzy-headed shortly after drinking a sweetened drink. The sudden rush of glucose causes their pancreas to secrete a burst of insulin, which in turn drives down their blood glucose. We call this rather common condition reactive hypoglycemia.

When hypoglycemia is severe and prolonged certain parts of the brain begin to die.

.... So merely going without food overnight can greatly increase the toxicity of MSG
(excitotoxins)

magnesium plays a vital role in protecting the neuron from the lethal effects of excitotoxins. .... it is the rush of calcium into the cell that triggers the seris of destructive reactions that cause the cell to be injured or killed. Experimentally, neurons are much more vulnerable to the effects of excitotoxins when magnesium is low. This is because magnesium normally blocks the calcium channel.

The most common risk of taking too much calcium over an extended period is hypercalciuria, or excess calcium in the urine. For individuals with a personal or family history of kidney stones, hypercalciuria raises the risk of kidney stone formation.

Drug and nutrient interactions may also be a problem. Calcium can decrease the effectiveness of several antibiotics, as well as some common medications for cardiac or thyroid conditions. It can also decrease the absorption of other nutrients, including iron and zinc, and may affect vitamin K metabolism.
http://web.mit.edu/medical/mithealth/hm84/hm84lucy.htm

Calcium can be used as a diagnostic test if you go to your doctor with symptoms that suggest:

# Kidney stones
# Bone disease
# Neurologic disorders

The total calcium test is the test most frequently ordered to evaluate calcium status. In most cases, it is a good reflection of the amount of free calcium involved in metabolism since the balance between free and bound is usually stable and predictable. However, in some patients, the balance between bound and free calcium is disturbed and total calcium is not a good reflection of calcium status. In those circumstances, measurement of ionized calcium is necessary. Some conditions where ionized calcium should be the test of choice include: critically ill patients who are receiving transfusions or IV fluids, patients undergoing major surgery, and patients with blood protein abnormalities like low albumin.

Large fluctuations in ionized calcium can cause the heart to slow down or to beat too rapidly, can cause muscles to go into spasm (tetany), and can cause confusion or even coma. In critically ill patients, it is extremely important to know the ionized calcium level to be able to intervene and prevent serious complications.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/calcium/test.html

Our diet provides us with calcium. The foods highest in calcium include

* Dairy products such as eggs, milk, butter and cheese – this is where most of our calcium comes from
* Green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach and beans
* Nuts
* Wholegrain products such as bread, rice and cereals

Our bodies absorb calcium from the food we eat through the lining of the bowel. The calcium is broken down before it is stored in the bones. The body controls the amount of calcium in the bloodstream very carefully. When blood levels of calcium fall too low, the bones release calcium into the blood. The amount of calcium absorbed from food in the bowel also increases. And the kidneys get rid of less calcium through the urine. If blood levels of calcium get too high, the opposite happens.

There are 3 hormones in the body that play an important role in this complicated control system. These are

* Parathyroid hormone (PTH)
* Vitamin D and
* Calcitonin

These hormones help to keep the correct balance of calcium in the blood.
If this balance is upset, the amount of calcium in our blood can become too high
(hypercalcaemia) and cause serious problems.

The main causes of hypercalcaemia are

* Too much calcium leaking out of the bones into the blood
* Your kidneys not being able to get rid of excess calcium
* Taking in too much calcium from the foods we eat
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=12568

Haven't we had discussions about how many AED's can deplete the body of Vit D?

Robin, you're a total star, thanks so much for all that - loads for me to read! That is such a help. As soon as the shops open up again, I'm going straight to the health food shop!

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a healthy and happy 2008 for all of us :)

Kate

Glad some of it helped. Thank goodness for the internet.
Those that do the work and figure this stuff out, are the real stars Kate.

This is a very interesting. I keep learning new things every day. This site is worth reading. This just so happened to fit what was currently being discussed:

This is so because the minerals from plants, organic minerals, are the only ones our bodies can use. Organic minerals are much different then the minerals from rocks, inorganic minerals. Sodium from a plant for example, is much different than the sodium from table salt. For the basis of this discussion it would be best to assume that they are not the same at all. You can eat all the table salt you want and the cells themselves can still be sodium or base deficient. The sodium used for building cells has to be organic, from plants and it is the main base mineral we have because there is so much of it. Sodium chloride or table salt serves an entirely different function in the body.

In the same way, calcium from a plant is a lot different from say "Tums for the Tummy". Tums are calcium carbonate or limestone, a ground up rock.
We can't digest rocks, that's what plants do.

We simply don't eat enough fruits and vegetables to compensate for the minerals lost, because of our "rich", fast life diets. If we are BASE DEFICIENT, and most of us are, then our whole body is in a relatively acid condition. That is all there is to it.
http://www.newtreatments.org/loadlocal.php?hid=1034

Hello

Perhaps you could ask your doctor about Vitamin B complex.

Regards

PatriciaC

I just started yesterday two days headaches BAD cramps, feel like the life has been taken right out of me..... swollen foot sore toes "weird" right before i started I could feel my blood sugar drop way low...... I had energy then bam im done...... book and blanket bed for me ;) blah! Im about ready to have it all taken out maybe then this ms nightmare would go away! :soap::paperbag:

ive not had a seizure or auras as of yet though which is good... :)

Naw you are too young... and just think there will be new problems to deal with.
Good reason to take it easy Angel. Don't forget your water...

Naw you are too young... and just think there will be new problems to deal with.
Good reason to take it easy Angel. Don't forget your water...

killer cramps though :noevil: Ive had my tubes cut & tied I have heard it can put you into perimenopause early..... SO ... Who knows! :ponder: I wonder if i hug my husband enough today if i can give him the cramps :roflmao: Im outside shoveling snow while he sleeps ....

we have about 4 feet right now still snowing heavy.... :banana: took the kids to different road for school we had two hour delay cars getting stuck every where... a police officer stopped and asked us a lady who i was trying to help push her car so she could drive.... he wanted to use his bumper but told her it might cause damage she declined so I was trying to push her out.... she was in the middle of the road.... IM kinda a wimp right now was having trouble... some Awesome Gov snow plow drivers stopped and helped me push her out..... the officer drove away before that lol I guess it was to cold for him to get out and help me push this lady's car hehe

anyways, Im hoping to get a little bit of a work out outta this..... maybe the pain will go away but im dizzy as hell......

Love
Snow angel ;)

You have me dizzy from all of that. Talk about a wimp... I am sitting in 51º and I am freezing. All I need to do is push a paintbrush around. I am impressed by your morning.

When I hear dizzy I think.... sit down and do some breathing techniques. Just a suggestion

Wow, you guys have so much snow! Over here in the UK, it's a real rarity ...and when it does fall, it's just a dusting. Hope you're staying warm!

Just wanted to say a big thank you again to everyone who offered advice on juggling PMS and epileps. I read all the articles you pointed me to, and found more, and reading our own experiences and opinions helped too. I've now found a balance of vitamins and minerals that seems to work - absolutely minimal PMS this time round! no mood swings, no soreness, in fact I had to check the dates to make sure the timing was accurate!

Angel, if it would help you (or anyone else), I'm now taking:

- General A-Z vitamin supplement
- Vitamin E: 536mg/day
- Magnesium: 300mg/day
- Vitamin B6: 50mg / day
- Vitamin D: 5ug/day
- Vitamin K: 600ug/day
- Calcium: 800mg/day
- Agnus castus: 20mg/day (equivalent to 240mg dried)
- Omega 3: 1000mg/day
- Soy isoflavones: 100mg/day
- Black cohosh: 40mg/day
- Folic acid: 5mg/day

I can honestly say I've never felt better - even if I do rattle when I walk from so many pills!

Thanks again guys - and happy, healthy 2008 to you all.

Kate xx

about the baby

Kate,

Hello and welcome! I have two children and my epilepsy got worse as I became pregnant. My hormones went crazy. On the second baby, I was getting seizures every day. I want a third child. I know that I'm an idiot for even thinking that's a good idea, because it's not. My body won't take it. Yet, somehow, I managed to live through the first two.

Bern and I have talked about adopting if we go for a third. Then again, a family of four is perfect. My two boys (my three boys) get more attention that way. There is a little boy across the street that is 15 years old now. I've watched him grow up and have mental problems his entire childhood. I don't want to put a child like that into the world. It would be my fault. Bernie is very healthy. I'm also very happy about my two boys... three boys.

Hi Kate! Welcome to CWE! My neurologist said it was fine for me to take prenatal vitamins. I liked how they made my hair and nails grow faster and healthier. :) So yeah, definitely try the vitamins/minerals supplements. (It made my PMS symptoms soooo mild this month that my period actually came by surprise.) As for pregnancy, you could always ask your neurologist if you could look at taking another med. Or you could take folic acid everyday. I used to be on depakote, but when I got married my hubby and I decided that we might want kids, so I went in to the neuro. He checked with an EEG and found that I had outgrown one of my seizure types. So I no longer needed the Depakote, and he weened me off. Talk to your neuro, and if he insists on not at least coming up with an option, then I'd suggest looking for another neuro. Also, in case pregnancy isn't an option, keep your mindo open to adoption. My hubby and I got married knowing that there was a possibility I wouldn't be able to carry to term.

That's really encouraging to read that your neurologist tested you again and you could come off your drugs for pregnancy. I was a bit surprised at my neurologist just writing me off straight away, saying he advised not having children, rather than look for alternatives or seeing how my epilepsy is now. But I live in the UK and was seeing a National Health neurologist, and they tend to be very over-worked and need to get through patients ASAP ... my uncle lives in the US and has epilepsy and I'm thinking about trying to get an appointment with his neurologist instead - he's said that the US docs are WAY more progressive than ours! So maybe that will help :)

Stace - when you were pregnant, did you come off your drugs completely? And were you able to take any alternative medicines eg vitamins to help even things out? You sound as though you've had it tough ... I hope things go more smoothly for you if you go ahead with the 3rd pregnancy.

Back
Top Bottom