Epilepsy, anxiety and depression

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Getting diagnosed with epilepsy is depressing enough. As is suffering through the consequences. And the sheer anxiety of not knowing how and when a seizure can occur can occur can be crippling in itself.

Will it be in school, at a party, while you’re showering, eating, walking down stairs, or just out of the blue?

Your whole life is turned upside down. Life’s little pleasures escape you. Decision making becomes a challenge. You can’t sleep. You’re sad, angry and irritable.

One study stated that 80% of the patients with epilepsy were also diagnosed as having a depressive disorder. Upwards of 60% of these individuals had a history of significant episodes of depression. And 10-32% experience symptoms of anxiety.
Not too reassuring, is it?

And for those whose epilepsy cannot be controlled by meds, the likelihood of depression and anxiety are even greater.

In fact, many of the medications used to treat seizure disorders can trigger depression. Dilantin, Phenobarbatol, Celonton and Tegretol are all notorious for this side effect.

However, research shows that depression and anxiety can improve significantly after epilepsy surgery.

According to the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology, the rate of depression and anxiety disorders decreased by more than 50 percent up to two years after surgery. People who no longer experienced seizures after surgery were even more likely to be free of depression and anxiety.

The majority of the patients in this study had surgery on the temporal lobe of their brain. The study volunteers were evaluated before surgery, and at three months, one year and two years after their surgery.

Trigger Management

Careful monitoring of your seizures can help you figure out possible triggers, how they affect your behavior, and what happens after an episode. With time, you can target your plans to lessen or prevent triggers and figure out what the culprits are: lack of sleep, foods, stress, work, social situations, isolation, or some simple thing in your everyday life.

Here are some suggestions that might help you:

* Consider counseling…
* Support groups…
* Tracking your seizures and their triggers daily in a diary…
* Try some time-out when you’re feeling overwhelmed…
* Learn relaxation exercises, deep breathing or yoga…

But most importantly, tell your doctor and family how you feel. Support can often go a long way towards helping your anxiety and depression.

Resources:

http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/76/suppl_1/i45
http://my.epilepsy.com/node/121
http://my.epilepsy.com/node/978670
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/epilepsy_center/educational_webcasts.aspx
http://www.dentalplans.com/articles/3185/epilepsy-surgery-lessens-depression--anxiety.html
http://news.healingwell.com/index.php?p=news1&id=529545
http://my.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/trigger_types
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/seizure_disorders/40707

Copyright © 2009, Phylis Feiner Johnson. All rights reserved.
www:epilepsytalk.com

Thanks for this post. The past week I have been hit hard from severe depression. I cant sleep, I cant keep anything down when I eat, i am shaky, and i just want to be left alone and lay in my bed and cry. My family can't figure out whats wrong with me. I've lost 3 pounds in the last 4 days.

I am so close to snapping and should probably be in treatment somewhere. But the thought of that makes me even more upset.

If I don't have a seizure thru this, atleast I;ll know my meds are controlling it.

Cathy

According to the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology, the rate of depression and anxiety disorders decreased by more than 50 percent up to two years after surgery. People who no longer experienced seizures after surgery were even more likely to be free of depression and anxiety.

The majority of the patients in this study had surgery on the temporal lobe of their brain. The study volunteers were evaluated before surgery, and at three months, one year and two years after their surgery.

I NEVER suffered with depression or anxiety until after Right Temporal Lobe Surgery and I had my very 1st panic attack 1 week after surgery (I thought I was dying or I was about to die - scared the crap out of me and my husband). After surgery I learned what depression was and personally I would take seizures over depression anyday! After surgery, during the depression, I was asked to participate in a study group in regards to seizures and epilepsy and it was either (randomly chosen): see a therapist or take Zoloft. I ended up taking Zoloft but I didn't last long on it and asked to be switched to the therapy group. Long story short: I was depressed and even had thoughts of suicide (Thank G-d for my mother and husband since I would never be here today had it not been for them), however, to this day I BLAME the medications. I was depressed due to all the crazy side effects from the meds as well as the meds themselves rather than the weird brain experiences I was having while my neurons were reconnecting.

Once I was taken off all meds the depression subsided and I told my doctors numberous times that it's the crazy meds! At leat for me it was meds. YES, having seizures are beyond a pain in the arse, (the seizures again have come back to haunt me) and yes, we always have to be aware of our surroundings ALL THE TIME since who knows when they'll strike, but I don't, at least for me, necessarily believe that having E causes depression. Yes, one can get depressed due to lack of driving, which leads to work problems, money problems, etc. However, if one has a support team, public transportation, assistance, etc. this can be helped, whereas, I believe the meds ALONE cause depression. So, I felt this study group was dumb since here we were taking a medication that is causing us to be depressed. Therefore, I don't necessarily believe it's the E or even the consequences of having E, but rather these little pills that we must take daily to keep the E at bay. Yes, some can handle them but many seem to be extra sensitive to them.

Well Kelvar, I think it's safe to say that what works for some, doesn't necessarily work for all. I'm so sorry and sad to hear about all your suffering especially since you probally had your hopes up high.

What can I say?

I had a Left Temporal lobectomy. Six months after the surgery, I started going through the deepest, darkest depression of my life! I was suicidal off and on. I was also seeing a neuropsychiatrist whose speciality is epilepsy and depression. And all this before the seizures returned. It took years and numerous tries to find a medication that would alleviate the problem somewhat. Nineteen years after the surgery, I still have seizures, had the the VNS, and still take an SSRI. And for me, the brain surgery made the seizures worse! So they don't like to mention the minority. :ponder:
I also have read that depression is prevalent if the seizures originate in the Left Temporal Lobe.

Oh how I wish for a normal brain, one w/o worry and regret, and needing to be medicated. After over 40 years of dilantin I know my depression is a direct result of that. After a total hysterectomy-(a story in itself) and having a seizure brain, I am constantly amazed at the tricks my mind plays on me. Emotions that I fight consistently that my poor husband is subject to. After I get mad, over sensitive, whatever the emotion of the day is, I am always full of remorse. It feeds off itself, the more intense the more depressed I get. I have all my coping mechanisms that help to a degree. Acceptance is not easy to attain except temporarily. When I notice my husband avoiding me, I am once again filled with a sadness and embarrassment that takes hold and I have to work on diligently to overcome - until the next time I go on a binge of emotional instability. SUCKS!

was depressed on certain drugs, i think lamictal was the worse. I get depressed sometimes, I have to talk to myself and remind myself "I have no reason to be depressed" it is chemically induced but even though that helps, I have moment where I just want to cry for no reason. I feel that feeling in my chest like a knot. I can't take anti-depressants. really bad hallucinations and I have been known to attack nurses

I have noticed recently, and probably longer- that I have mild drepression but have not gone to my family doctor to talk about it. I had anxiety really bad when I was a teenger and was put on sleeping meds (Sonata) and Zoloft. Sonata gave me horible hallucinations and Zoloft put me in a daze and I was walking around half high LOL. I don't know how I functioned well. But my Mom realized that I was just not myself on those meds. So now- I notice depression but mild, and was diagnosed by a psychologist during a vocational rehabilitation evauation. He suggested going to counseling. I feel sad about it. I don't know if I want to try meds or not. I feel like its not me, its Tegretol or Keppra. I take 3000mg of Keppra XR and 600mg of Tegretol XR everyday and I wish I didn't have to be on so much of it.
Anyways- kinda stuck or at least feeling that way. I don't find myself so depressed that I can't function- just enough to notice and I have lost some interest in things I used to do which makes me sad. SO when I go to neurologist on the 19th, I think I'm going to have a chat about that with him.

This will be my first visit and already I have a lot to talk about. But hopefully I will make some progress in terms of treatment etc.

Everyone take care,
Crystal

Crystal, I have found counseling WITH THE RIGHT PERSON to be a wonderfully helpful addition. On the other hand, I kissed alot of frogs before I found the right therapis. But I think you should ask for a solid recommendation (or interview a few) and give it a shot.

Yes, I wrote about it in a health and wellness article. I don't quite remember the particulars, but here is some of what I wrote: " Scientists have discovered as many as 300 compounds in chocolate. Many of which are being proven for their health benefits every day. One of these molecules is a compound called Theobromine.

Theobromine is a mild stimulant that's reported to play a role in increasing levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain that helps regulate mood."

So, right you are. And yes, dark chocolate is supposed to be best because it has more cacao.

vicious circle?

Anybody constantly tired? I would love to finnish school, while working full time, but it seems I don't have the energy and interest I thought I would.
I took the entry exam, and the results said I was very smart. (Wonderlich; and I got four times the score of Vince Young. OK I got sloppy, and I could have done better.)
But I have been tired for a few years. At one point, I was taking naps. I get depressed at the drop of a hat and it's tough carrying on sometimes. I can't remember the last time I was really happy. I try to watch what I eat, how much I rest, but I'm tired. My resting EKG is normal, but by stress EKG looks funny.
Anybody want to guess this one?

You know Shelly, it could be your thyroid. 50% of women have undiagnosed underactive thyroid problms and they don't know it. (I write about this stuff.) You might consider going to an endocrinologist to have your thyroid checked out. The same thing happened to me...

You know Shelley, it could be your thyroid. 50% of women have undiagnosed underactive thyroid problms and they don't know it. (I write about this stuff.) You might consider going to an endocrinologist to have your thyroid checked out. The same thing happened to me...

My cardiologist was saying maybe my thyroid or anemia for being tired. Is there something I can do in the meantime to help with the energy?

Last edited:
Oh, nuts

I'm trying to remember what the doctors told me while they dxd me with hypothyroidism. (For now, I'm off meds for that, it's a long story which we won't go into.)

Ahhhhhhh, yes. Plenty of exercise. Lots of water. B complex vitamins. CoQ10. NO 5htp though, as that could lead to other problems.

Hope that helps some...

Meetz
:rock:

meetz:

Could you elaborate on the problems that 5HTP can cause? I take every night before bedtime, and sleep good. I have read that it does not work for everyone, but it does seem to help me. Thanks!:ponder:

gigi

5HTP when

used for depression and sleep is OK, but when combined with MAO Inhibitors, and SSRI meds, it can cause some serious problems--called SEROTONIN SYNDROME. When combined with a Parkinson's treatment CARBIDOPA, it will cause some serious nausea and other effects.

Also, it IS possible to overdose on it.

When taking with thyroid meds, of ANY type, you DO need to consult your doctor.

YES, it WILL help you sleep. That's because of the way it breaks down and goes to serotonin. But too much of a good thing can sometimes be dangerous. Just make sure your doctor knows you're taking it......

meetz

thanks for the info on 5HTP. I do not take anything for depression, although I do take armour for my thyroid. I have told my doctor also, and I did not get a comment, so there you have it!! Thank you again:bigsmile:

As long

as your doctor KNOWS you're taking it, then you should be fine, Gigi. I used to take Armour....but again, that's a VERY long story, and not for here.

thyroid

I have read on several occasions that long term use of some seizure meds can cause problems with thyroid in addition to the modern day diet. I have been on dilantin since the Carter administration, and since my health is otherwise good I can only speculate that this is a contributing factor:ponder:. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom