Epilepsy Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The only things I didn't see that cause issues for me are flourescent lights (especially if one is running out and flickering), flying in planes and on the highway the lines in the center of the road at night with the reflectors will get me every time. I can handle it if I'm a passenger because I can look away but not if I'm driving so I will not drive the highway anymore. It may be that the highway lines are much brighter and the speed and repetition of the reflectors is what causes the problem..

KAM

....or maybe it's just a psychological link you have, ie. if you believe something will trigger a particular reaction, you'll probably find it will.

I have a fairly strong belief that if you believe hard enough on something happening, it will.

I'm not saying to get behind the wheel and see for yourself, but maybe next time you're on the plane, or being a passenger in a vehicle try the test for yourself, and tell yourself that nothing will happen if you look at the bright highway lines - after all, that's all they are :tup:

Seizure Causes

Very good reply. I am very determined at conquering anything that proves to be an obstacle. I can confirm the plane; about eleven years ago I just got a new job and had to travel often. I went on three different flights and had a seizure on each one. After the first one happened, I gave the stewardess a note each time to not be alarmed if it happened. They were grateful that I did. I brought it up to my neuro, they prescribed Acetazolamide and I did not have another seizure in an airplane. About fifteen years ago, I did have convulsion while driving in the car with no aura to alert me (not on the highway) and caused a pretty bad accident. I of course surrendered my license and didn’t drive for two years. You are correct that it could be a psych issue but it wasn’t until after brain surgery that the highway driving affected me. I would drive 1,500 mile trips often by myself on the highway. I would be really curious to see if anyone else has the highway issue. Thanks-KAM

For the Readers to note
in regarding to KAM's posting below:

Acetazolamide is also known as Diamox

Diamox is also used in Catamential Epilepsy in
women; and it does help in some cases.

I noticed that my menstrual cycle usually plays a part...probably 75 % of my seizures have occurred during or the week before.

Can hardly wait for menopause.

same.... I almost had a few seizure this month they stopped tho... really quick weird yucky auras....

always two to three days before, sometimes on same day i start....

stress, not driving anymore but when i wasn't taking aeds i noticed that while driving i wouldn't feel that great..... had small seizures and auras.....

Last edited:
You are correct that it could be a psych issue but it wasn’t until after brain surgery that the highway driving affected me. I would drive 1,500 mile trips often by myself on the highway. I would be really curious to see if anyone else has the highway issue. Thanks-KAM

Without meaning to sound rude (so please don't take this the wrong way), you'll probably find that there are very few, if any, that will be able to concur to your driving experiences as they won't have a licence to drive.

I think to do a 1,500 mile journey on a highway would be a very mind-straining task to carry out for any person. What with all the concentration that's required, and the sheer boredom of being on a highway for that length of time, it doesn't surprise me that you'll be more susceptible to having a seizure. Driving past the glaring lights, and focusing on all the traffic must create some kinda photo-sensitive stimulation in the brain for anybody, let alone someone with E.

Maybe having the surgery has made you more photosensitive, and you are therefore reacting more to the stimulation of light than before ?

You're not being rude at all and it was very good point on the people that can't drive. The surgery has made me much more photosensitive, thanks for the feedback.

Oh my ... I didn't catch the facts of this trip. 1,500 miles.....?
I just drove 400 miles to S.F. and it put quite a strain on me. I arrived with a migraine.
Possibly due to the blowout I had of a brand new tire on hwy 5 no less.

Coming back the fog was so bad that the glaring lights, white line, and tension was enough to make me pull over and stop for the night.

Perhaps you are expecting far too much from yourself.

Sorry about the tire blowout, that is about the last thing you needed. My trip was always from Florida to Madison, WI. When my dog came with was when I drove straight through. Agree it may have been long, my only frustration now is I can't even drive ten miles on the highway. Who knows, maybe at some point it will not be an issue. At least I can fly now and not need the Acetazolamide. It seems many things in your life change with E, what used to be a problem isn't a problem now and vice-versa.

According to the EEG tests it is the stress segment, hyperventalation and some activity in my sleep.

But I suffer from insomnia, love my coffee and sugar, and I am fine. This last one, I had a long night at work (didn't get to sleep until 9am), after starting my period. I haven't been under any stress in months nor anything out of the ordinary. But the one thing about this illness....I have given up on trying to figure it out....lol

I've noticed
  • Lack of sleep is a biggie for me
  • Fevers (even if they are low grade temps)
    I had a temp of 104.7 a few weeks ago, and I was seizing up a storm! But apparently with that high of a temp, a non epileptic would be seizing?
  • Stress
  • If I skip too many meals
I'm not sure if caffeine is a trigger for me or not. I don't have a lot of it. (Maybe average one cup of coffee worth a week) But so far, it hasn't done anything to me.

Last edited:
Obviously... Nothing new

:hello:
I rank from the highest to the lowest
  • Stress
  • Lack of sleep
  • Heat
Stress can be that bad that if someone "hit me", the seizure is immediate. May be a criticism, an impossible deadline that someone impose, name it
4 years ago, my sensitivity to heat (summers are pretty strong in south of France) was so bad that I had to stop to go to work just to stay in front of the air conditionning (at home, there was none at work:twocents:):rock:
Now it's usually lack of sleep, or I forgot to take my pills (usually in the morning).

triggers

in the last ten years i have narrowed down one big trigger for my grand mals
*stress- pure and simple, the partials will start and if i don't head the warning it will happen.

the things though that i have found that trigger partials for me though weird and unexplained but a constant
*taking a shower- when i first get in and let the water run over my head
*preforming oral sex on my husband- this is about a 80/20 thing (i know haha)
:hello::hello:

Things That Trigger My Siezures

EMERGENCY LIGHTS & AFTER-TASTES OF FOOD & OR DRINKS "ALSO ONE OTHER THING THAT TRIGGERS MY SIEZURES BUT IT'S EMBARASSING TO LIST & IT'S NOT SEX :roflmao: ." I'M SURE OTHERS MIGHT HAVE THE SAME RELATION TO IT SO I'M GONNA POST IT & IF IT HAS TO BE DELETED I'M SORRY. (THE FEELING OF KNOWING YOU HAVE TO GOTO THE BATHROOM BUT YOU DON'T HEAD THATWAY UNTIL A SIEZURE ACCURES)

still trying to figure my triggers out. right now it seems to be really random. i've started journaling the basic things that happen during the day, so that i'll know what happens before a seizure. i'd also like to try some techniques i've read about to see if i can consciously stop them. so far, though, i've not had any seizure activity (not that i'm complaining)

My last neuro

refused to believe me when i told him that every time i ate/drank anything containing aspartame i was guaranteed a seizure. I was beginning to think i was imagining things. I have eliminated EVERYTHING in my diet that contains aspartame for 12 days now. from having 11-20 CP's& Sp szs a day, for the lasrt 6 days, I have been down to 5/6 a day. Am I still imagining things?? Some of you are saying that artificial sweetenrs have caused problems. have you had problems with others too? I'm so glad It's not just me. I wasn't going round the bend, was I?

Aspartame is a known culprit. Avoidance of it is one keystone of DogtorJ's GARD diet.

refused to believe me when i told him that every time i ate/drank anything containing aspartame i was guaranteed a seizure. I was beginning to think i was imagining things. I have eliminated EVERYTHING in my diet that contains aspartame for 12 days now. from having 11-20 CP's& Sp szs a day, for the lasrt 6 days, I have been down to 5/6 a day. Am I still imagining things?? Some of you are saying that artificial sweetenrs have caused problems. have you had problems with others too? I'm so glad It's not just me. I wasn't going round the bend, was I?

You might also consider making sure all MSG related byproducts are out of your diet too. This is a definite trigger for my daughter.
High Fructose Corn Syrup too.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/common-foods-attacking-your-brain-toxins-3252/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/glutamate-containing-additives-1906/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/restaurants-msg-1549/

Last edited:
I think I can add over stimulation to my list.

I was hanging out with my wife and some friends last night for a couple hours just listening to music and talking.

One second I was ok, the next I felt something change, my stomach started to knot up, and I went downhill quick. I was able to get up, stumble to my room, and lay on the bed. This was the worst seizure that I have ever been awake for..LOL... I wouldnt say i was paralyzed, more like I didnt have the energy to move anything, or even talk. Any slight movement made me feel like I was going to vomit. Just like that feeling you get when you are SMASHED drunk, and right on the verge of puking....except I had no drinks at all.

Afetr about 10 minutes it started to go away and I slowly came back to normal. I can honestly say, this was the worst feeling i had ever had, that I remember anyway.

I think the overstimulation, might have been coupled with being tired. For some reason now, with the keppra, I am up at 6 every morning, ready to clean EVERYTHING. This happened at about 1115 last night.

anyway......it sucked ass.

Back
Top Bottom