Epilepsy Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have all kinds of trouble right around my period. I tracked the seizures and noticed the same. 2 days before my period and one day after a bunch of acidic fruit. My Dr. suggested I try some pregnenolone (available at the VItamin Shoppe and other places). I now take 10mg, every day in the very early morning. During that R.E.M. sleep phase is when I get them most. So at 3AM - 7AM, whatever time I wake up enough to put some in my mouth (sublingual), I reach over and do it, then go back to sleep. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am one week on the guard diet and 3 days off mysoline. I am doing pretty good,no absences szs , no clusters and no grand mals . Its amazing that the food made me sick.

I am really happy and surprised with this diet.

thanks for the info stacy and bernard

Riva

Glad it's working so far Riva! :tup:

3 days off mysoline. I am doing pretty good,no absences szs , no clusters and no grand mals . Its amazing that the food made me sick.
I am really happy and surprised with this diet. thanks for the info stacy and bernard
Riva

:brock::brock::brock::brock:

WOO-HOO!!

That's what my PCP and Neuro are looking
at now, it seems mine are all tripping just before
mine starts - but I've been bouncing back and
forth between menopause and menses ...

NOTICE the word "MEN" in it?

Do I have a reason to blame them?

:lol: :pfft:

I am one week on the guard diet and 3 days off mysoline. I am doing pretty good,no absences szs , no clusters and no grand mals . Its amazing that the food made me sick.

I am really happy and surprised with this diet.

thanks for the info stacy and bernard

Riva

AWESOME RIVA!!!

:wave:

Have you tried herbs for the menapause? Dong quai, Black Cohosh and St johns Wort?
I take 6 of each a day ,it really helped me with the menapause. You can order it at
www.vitacost.com its cheapier to buy your vitamins their.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHEERING ME ON!!!!!!!

(((((((HUGS))))))))
RIVA

Have you tried herbs for the menapause? Dong quai, Black Cohosh and St johns Wort?
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHEERING ME ON!!!!!!!

(((((((HUGS))))))))
RIVA

You're welcome for the support!
:D

And no I am not allowed to have those
herbs at all, one I can't because of the
meds I'm on, and two I'm allergic to them.
I'm actually allergic or have severe reaction(s)
to a lot of herbs or herbal remedies.
I can't even take Ginko anymore
:(

I have always for as long as I can remember had an awful immune system! When I was little and diagnosed with Eplilepsy I was also taken to Emory twice a week for almost 3 years for blood tests because I had (still have) "Neutropenia". Now they call it "chronic idiopathic neutropenia" which just means I have a very weak immune system and they still haven't figured out why. I'm almost 32 and have been tested for every blood disease under the sun and noone can figure out why my white blood cell level never goes higher than 2.3. No wonder I'm always sick & tired.

JKJ: The whole time I was on AEDS I was always sick ,bad chest colds, annemia, black and blues all over me, tired . PLus I ran a business to boot. I started to take vitmains in 1992 when I moved back to the states from Montreal. The Dr in NYC couldn't understand how the Drs in MTL didn't have me take the basic vitmains (vit C,Bcomplex, calcium magnesium , and a multi-vitamin. ) Slowly I bought books and more vitmains,herbs and got healthier on my own.
Now I swear by the vitamins, herbs and homeopathy I take . They haven't done the damage to me the AEDS have done.

Riva

JKJ - Are you currently doing anything to boost your immune system?

Brain since going on the homeopathy all my allergies are gone. ( pollen, cats, )My eyesight improved had to get weaker glasses. Before I had fallen arches and now my arches are fine ,I can buy regular shoes instead of handmade shoes.

Riva

Wow, that's awesome Riva!

Do you think the change in shoe/arches is due to homeopathy or weight loss/GARD diet?

...Or just walking taller because you feel better?

No, the orthapedic surgeon and poderist said I had fallen arches and I had to get arches,& hand made shoes I couldn't walk without inserts . Now I can't walk with the inserts .LOL

The Drs , all said it would never correct itself and now I am walking 120 blocks a day without inserts. I no longer have to pay $350.00 for hand made shoes . I can go shoe shopping.................. Dreams come true !!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have a herb recipe to make my hair grow back!!!!!!!!! That I will start tomorrow!!

NEVER GIVE UP
DREAMS COME TRUE !!!!!!!!! MY FATHER WAS RIGHT!!!!!

Riva

That is wonderful, I am so happy for you. What a great feeling, I am sure.
120 blocks a day... that is impressive.

Stress-I think this is the biggest one. At least it makes all the others more likely to cause a seizure.

Antihistamines-at least Benadryl for me. I haven't had any problems with Claritin so far.

Caffeine?-I can literally drink 2 fraps from Starbucks in the mourning and have no problems. But in the past if I have caffeine at night I have had a seizure later. I was stressed at the time so I'm not sure how much of a role the caffeine played but I am not discounting the possibility.

In the book I am reading Epilepsy: a new approach I just started Chapter 13 - Releasing Stress and Tension.
I don't know about you all but I have always just thought about STRESS as a "thing". Something that happens to you. I never thought of how it is created within the body. How the brain releases hormones, which are circulated within the bloodstream, how the liver is stimulated, and glycogen (sugar) is released. Breathing changes, as does heart rate. It is a marvelous process when it is working properly.

It all has to be functioning at the optimum to handle the burden placed on the body.
So while it is STRESS that we talk about, it is actually how each and every function creates harmony and balance within the "system"

We have paper cup, plastic cups, glass cups and metal cups. Some cups are just stronger. They each hold water, some just can withstand more abuse.

Seizure Causes

The only things I didn't see that cause issues for me are flourescent lights (especially if one is running out and flickering), flying in planes and on the highway the lines in the center of the road at night with the reflectors will get me every time. I can handle it if I'm a passenger because I can look away but not if I'm driving so I will not drive the highway anymore. It may be that the highway lines are much brighter and the speed and repetition of the reflectors is what causes the problem..

KAM

Back
Top Bottom