epilim and major lack of sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vely2101

New
Reaction score
hello all

a few weeks ago my neuro took me off carbamazipine so i was un medicated for about two weeks. the first week i was off meds was fine but the second week was bad i have not sleep for more than 2 hours each night for the last 5 nights. yesterday i started epilim and wantedto no what people thought of it.
thanks

Epilim (otherwise known as Sodium Valproate) is what i'm on and a main side effect is tiredness and weight gain. I always need to get my sleep and if I miss out then I definitely pay for it later. That said however, it is a good drug and i've had good seizure control with it.

My daughter is new on epilum since August, it is controlling absence seizures after along time with not a lot of control.

She does get tired and falls asleep in front of the TV.
She has a cyst that effects her sleeping, so epilum is probably a great medication for her.
And as Trinity has also mentioned, appetite increase and weight gain are a side effect.

All the best to you.

Last edited:
I had great seizure control and unfortunately, weight gain...But it worked good for me. :)

I am also on sodim valporate and i have been on it for the last 20 years i think it is a very good drug although i have put on weight over the years and 3 days ago i had another major fit after not having any for the last 16 years,but i think that may have something to do with the fact that i havent had any blood level tests is the last 10 or 12 years i guess i was just overlooked to my detrement beause during this time i have put on alot of weight and the drugs may have stopped working but genrally i can say they have worked well with me. I am on 600mg at night and 900mg in the morning. Oh and i am 36.

I take Depakote ER (extended release sodium valproate) and have done so since I was first diagnosed about two years ago. I haven't had a single seizure and no weight gain at all. I was a little tired at first but, feel perfectly normal now.
I take 1000 mg. ER at night and that is it. My Dr. is now reducing my dosage to 750 mg. ER and, if I continue to have no seizures, we'll reduce it to 500 mg. in the future. After that, I'm not sure. It's been a good med for me and I hope it works for you too.

magnesium sulphate

i have been reading with great interest articles on using magnesium sulphate(epsom salts) in controlling epilepsy this seems to have worked for many people i would be interested to see peoples views on this.I was not allowed to post a link because i have not been on this forum long enough.

IMHO there is no cure for epilepsy & because the causes are so varied I don't believe there ever will be a single cure the way measles or a cold are cured. All we can do is control it with various methods. I do tend to get very apprehensive when I see people claiming to "cure" epilepsy, regardless of what the "cure" is.

i too doubt seeing a cure anytime soon but after my recent episode after so many years i have done alot of reading and do intend to try the magnesium thing together with taking my regular meds just to see how i get on because although up untill now i never had any fits i have had jerks throughout the years maybe this will help those jerks too.

Back
Top Bottom