Evenin'

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RED_

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

Finally decided to do more research into my epilepsy and it got me here. Seems active and a decent place to discuss things. I'll probably start a thread about it all in the next few days. No idea what type of epilepsy i have but i know that they only happen when im asleep and i have no recollection of them. For example i had one last night and my mum tells me that she tried to wake me up and that my eyes were open etc but i would have never known about it if she didnt tell me.

The only way i can tell if its happened is from muscles getting stiffer and i tend to bite my tongue which means when i wake up the next morning there are massive bits of by tongue missing. Struggling to eat solid food at the moment because of it. Real nightmare. Anyway like i said i'll probably open another thread in the right place about it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club Red

It does sound like you've got tonic/clonic (grand mal) seizures from the stiffness & biting of your tongue. This might give you guys a better idea of what kind(s) of seizures you've been having http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

I know the few times I've bitten my tongue I rinse with salt water. It burns but it heals faster when I do that.

Hi RED, welcome!

You've come to the right place -- lot's of good company, advice and support here.

When I've bitten my tongue during a seizure, I've found that only the mildest of foods would do, and nothing acidic. Hard-boiled eggs was one of the few solid foods I could deal with.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best,
Nakamova

Good Morning RED!

Welcome! I too have only nocturnal seizures. I have only bitten my tongue badly once....not fun. I usually will bite my lips and on the best nights (sarcastic) I will wet the bed! How do you feel the next day? I am so sore that I can barely move and my mind is foggy. Best of luck to you!! :hello:

Good Morning RED!

Welcome! I too have only nocturnal seizures. I have only bitten my tongue badly once....not fun. I usually will bite my lips and on the best nights (sarcastic) I will wet the bed! How do you feel the next day? I am so sore that I can barely move and my mind is foggy. Best of luck to you!! :hello:

I feel fine the next day, my tongue hurts but thats it.

Last edited:
Hey Red, welcome to the forum.

I have nocturnal seizures as well. The next morning I am so weak I can barely walk, my tongue is killing from biting it and then I throw up for about an hour or so.

But I figure the best place to have a tonic clonic is in bed.. except when you fall out of bed and hit your head on the night stand. Last time I did that I ended up in hospital for a lot of stitches.

Well again welcome to the forum, there's a lot of great people here and a ton of information.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom