Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for research or trials or anything related to the chance of focal seizures spreading to bilateral tonic clonics. I’ve had this happen twice in the past year after having around 20 years of only the focals. Since the last tonic clonic, I’ve had 7 focal seizures (all this month) and I would love to know the chances of it spreading again or how common this is, but like I said, can find no theories/studies/research on this particular subject. Any thoughts or information that anyone could lead me to is greatly appreciated!

The brain has plasticity. It can change over time - for better or worse. This is why neurologists really want to see zero seizure activity even when someone might have decent enough quality of life managing their seizure activity. Seizure activity can beget more (and/or different) seizure activity).

My wife has had numerous changes to the types of seizures, the patterns of occurrence, frequency, etc. over the years. Usually in response to changes in her treatment regimen.

Hey Rhea --

Don't know if this is relevant for you, but peri- and post-menopause can sometimes bring changes in seizure frequency and kind. Levels of estrogen and progesterone drop at uneven rates. The resulting spikes in estrogen can be a trigger for some folks, even those who haven't had catamenial seizures in the past.

Back
Top Bottom