Homeopathy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

She is scheduled to have blood work done and I dont' want her to have so many chemicals in her system.

Robin, have you ever had your doughters cbc sent to you... you can sign a release form to have cbc sent to you & other blood work....

Im waiting for mine to come on the mail so i can see whats up with me first hand.... both my sisters work in the lab where i live. they told me about it just a few weeks ago...

another thing id work with a homeopathic dr because these remedies can have side effects... they need to run test on you just like a reg doc would...

Love angel

Yes I started the homeopathy while taking lycria and mysoline and slowly weaned off them. 1/2 a tab a month. I am off meds over 6 weeks now and super happy.

Riva

Yes I started the homeopathy while taking lycria and mysoline and slowly weaned off them. 1/2 a tab a month. I am off meds over 6 weeks now and super happy.

Riva

Im going to try homepathy but i need to slow myself down before i quit the meds to scary...

one of my friends works at wild oats their use to be naturopathic doctors who worked in the store, they "would meet people and talk to them" ...

hidi my friend told me that they dont have them anymore so ill have to look around I dont think it will be that hard to find one here....

my sister donna is really into homeopathy she and i have talked alot about it as an alternative method for myself and my family...

(((((((((((Love angel))))))))))))))))))))

Wishing you the best of luck and health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Riva

I was wondering why nobody has tried homeopathy? I can tell why I didn't (for my 18 month old duughter): because I'm affraid. We've visited a homeopathic doctor, we have medicines: cicuta virosa for convulsions, and a potentation out of the MMR vaccine, because it is considered to have caused lots of damage (see Dr. Tinus Smits Homeopathy and Vaccination site); what I liked was that she was the first doctor which was intereseted in my daugther overall condition, starting from what she enjoys eating to the position she prefers to sleep, how she is, her caracter, all this things. What I didn't like is that she put all the things I told her in the computer to look for the right cure. It is true, as it's been said here that sympoms metter not the disease, but I think I would have liked to see more experience. Well, that's of no importance, since any of you might have seen a more qualified doctor.

The core of the problem is that all this medicines are poisons, right? I do know this type of medicine has been used since ancient times, but I still don't get it. I'm posting this hoping I'll get more insight from you. I understand the idea is that the quantities are very small. Ok, so I'm treated for I virus, I get an extract of that virus, I'm treated for convulsions I get an extract of a plant which is known to provoke my type of convulsions. That's supposed to work because it will boost up my immune system, my body will fight and get stronger. But if I already have a viral infection, for example, why isn't my body working, or what good will it bring to give it a bit of more virus? Is it because the amount is so small, and all this thing about water memory, so in fact my body will fight a virtual enemy? The idea is that it fights and it wins because the thing it is fighting is not really there so my body can't actually be defeated? I don't know if I made myself clear, I would just want to start believing in it. Of course, I shouldn't want anybody to make me believe in it, just to have an extra approach, but more information might help me make up my mind. When she's ok, I tend to say: we just go on with better food, vitamins, when she's ill I'm wondering why is she ill so often, what if I could still do something more, like that. There's just no other way to give it to my daughter, unless I believe in it. I know I don't believe in Depakine but I still give it, but it's done, I don't have the courage to change it now, not before I know for sure she'll be ok without it.

I know it sais to have no side effects, but if she gets a seizure I will consider it was caused by cicuta, even if it could only be concidental. The potentation from the vaccine can give really high fever, we'll freak out since fever can give her a seizure.

That's about it, my thoughts on homeopathy. I guess it really comes down to believing. And since one wouldn't anyhow give up conventional medication, why would you try that too? I'm just thinking for the case it would work, or just help, what if the orthodox medicine isn't totally controling, and this could be complementary?

It seems like nobody was lately interested in this, but if you do have any thoghts on that, please post them here. Thank you.

I was wondering why nobody has tried homeopathy? ... I guess it really comes down to believing. ... I'm just thinking for the case it would work, or just help, what if the orthodox medicine isn't totally controling, and this could be complementary?

I was not able to find after hours of searching around, any good references to studies validating the homeopathic approach for treating epilepsy patients. There are non-AED approaches that do have solid references (or at least some promising preliminary studies). Speaking for myself, I would rather try something that has been proven or at least been partially validated.

:adore:I love homeopathy!
It has worked for so many illnesses/pains for my family. It has stopped earaches, tooth pain, vomiting, colds, flu. I have used it post surgery for my children (gum graft, tooth extraction) without any other pain killers. This alternative treatment is awesome!!!

My son is currently taking Cicuta virosa (see above from the list) for his seizures, along with Depakote. I started him on the Cicuta before the Depakote. I did notice an increase in socialization and verbalization after starting the remedy(my son is autistic). I did not notice a decrease in seizure activity (he has a few absence seizures during the day and much seizure activity that is not visible) but I started the Depakote about a week after the remedy.

I think this is a great, cheap treatment that works. :twocents:

Last edited:
I had a rather frightening experience with homeopathy. Needless to say, it did not work for me. However, I would not say, don't do it. I would say, look at lots of other people that have tried it in connection with epilepsy, and maybe look specifically for someone who has worked with other epilepsy patients who you can talk to.

Aubrey--

What was this frightening experience you had? Was it acutal homeopathy you used? Many people call all types of natual medicine "homeopathy"...they are not the same thing.

There was a homeopathic doctor in EUGENE, OR (if you live there, beware) who took me off of my medications rather abruptly and tried me on a number of different remedies (white pills in little blue tubes, not liquid tinctures in little bottles I can tell the difference, thank you Hootie ;)) He tried multiple cures, which, upon reading, (I do my research) are commonly associated with epilepsy, but for me resulted in ever more violent seizures. My only caveat would not be, "don't try homeopathy", but rather, research your practitioner carefully, more carefully than you would a neurologist. FWIW, this guy had a good reputation in the community.

I actually had a chiropractor there who I believe was helping me manage my seizures, in conjunction with my regular medicine, who had helped others previously. But I wouldn't recommend chiropratic to people necessarily, because I believe he was a rather unique individual in that regard. Unfortunately, when I moved across country I couldn't take him with to continue to test my theory.

Maybe it wasn't homeopathy that was the problem but how the managment occured. It probably was not a good idea to take you off all the meds and try to manage seizures that way. YIKES! I could see starting the homeopathy and then gradually weaning off meds if the case dictated that it was a wise thing to do.

Homeopathy is really an amazing, cheap medicine but there is still a need for conventional medicine in certain instances.

I am always curious about all possible treatments. I do not see myself trying homeopathic again in the near future. But just for a waste of time I have gone through a big long list online and I think I found the one that I would decide most closely fits my suite of problems and quirks, major and minor. Incidentally it turned out to be off of POSITIVEPERSON's list.

I can understand your hesitation seeing you had a poor response on the last round. Maybe you could try it for minor situations such as acute illness, injuries, etc.

I just find it so amazing that it will work on animals, people, etc. My mom uses it for her dog, horse. I use it for my children and see it work post-surgery for pain relief (no other pain meds used and my children were fine...when the right remedy is given), asthma attacks (was about to go to the ER and called the homeopath first...asthma attack stopped in its tracks!!!), broken bones (had to get the bones set but used hpathy for pain relief), etc.

It might be good to try in conjunction with the AED(s) you may be taking.

Good Luck!

My nephew's epilepsy was treated homeopathically, successfully. No seizure for the past 13 years.
He was first given hyoscyamus. The attacks did not stop, but a characteristic symptom appeared, clenched thumbs. This turned out to be a clue for a follow up remedy, cuprum metallicum. After the first dose the attacks stopped, the remedy was given in increasing potencies over the next 1,5 years.
The remedies were given by an MD trained in homeopathy. Conventional medication (which had not been helpful) was discontinued.
He is in college now, doing fine.
His case was recently showed on TV in Poland, where my nephew lives, as part of the reportage - "Homeopathy - does it help or harm?"

Best to all
Anya

Homeopathy really does work!:agree:

I have seen it work in acute cases for my kids--amazing!

Interesting thread on EpiStill on this site. It contains the remedy you mention along with Cicuta Virosa (the remedy that my son is on for his epilepsy and autism), and two herbs. The remedy that my son is taking did not seem to change his absence seizures but did seem to make him more spontaneous in his speech.

Last year I tried it myself, for me and my daughter. Amazing success - her hayfever gone. My panic attacks gone (had them for 10 years).
Very happy and impressed.

Glad to hear it is working for you and your family!
I love that it is safe, cheap and effective (if you get the right remedy).

I am in the beginning process of learning homeopathy (acutes only for now). I can't wait until I am better about picking the correct remedy for my family and friends!

The constitutional remedy for my daughter was found by her pediatrician-homeopath.
The one for me I discovered myself using Philip Baileys "Homeopathic Psychology - Personality Profiles of Major Constitutional Remedies". I found 5-6 that sort of matched my problems and zeroed-in with trial and error. This is not what the doctors tell you to do, but it turned out to be successful in my case.
I would not try to treat other people with constitutional high potencies without a backup from a doctor. I experienced a two day "aggravation", which was pretty scary. But it was my choice to experiment and I'm glad I did it.

Can someone explain what exactly homeopathy is, and dumb it down for me. I dont quite understand. and how can I start it? I don't know if there is someone in Winnipeg that practices it and does it well though...does it have to be under doctors observation?

Back
Top Bottom