Hot or Cold Weather / Climate - Seizure triggers?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

We only have a few fully sheltered and heated bus shacks in the winter.

My last bus stop I have to wait at in the morning is just an open door shack. It so cold and gets you soaked or frozen from standing for 2 minutes. But the one across the street, which has less traffic than ours is large cozy and heated and has fans, plus it has a digital GPS thing to tell you exactly how much longer your bus should be.

I envy it every day of the winter...

That is so not fair Rae. Stoopid selective stop improvements.

Today my partner had a long walk in the cold and kept getting the smell of cherry vicks in his nose. That's much better than burning rubber, or infection or any of the other bad smells he gets.

EDIT: He says it was a little more mediciney than cherry vicks. It wasn't a good smell, but it wasn't vile either.

Heated bus shelters!!!:ponder: We don't have those then again I'd like it if our bus shelters has glass in them. The vandals can be pretty nasty here! I didn't answer the poll cuz I never thought about it before. But it seems to me that the changing of the season does bring on a higher fecuency of seizures for me.

RanMan said:
If you think about it ~ the sun and moon control the tides and other weather conditions and your body consists mostly of water, isn't it only logical that it would effect your body, IE: seizures and bipolar disorder. All my seizures and/or auras have been in the Fall.
Thanks. I haven't experienced Epileptic episodes in the fall. They're random. However, I would always have severe Bi-Polar episodes in March. Always March and could never figure that one out.

January and February seem to trigger issues for me, I havent been diagnosed with Epilepsy, but last year experienced what I believe was a Tonic Clonic, theres no real way to tell, I was alone, my myclonic jerks tend to be the worse this time of year too and I think I have restless leg syndrome that acts up every now and then but that seems to be aggravated by warm bedrooms.
Though the last two years at this time of year Ive been under alot of stress from work or lack of it, and that may have alot to do with it too.

Heat! oh Baby. I (before I got on vimpat) I hit the 80 degree mark. And spacing out , myoclonics, and grandmals . everything.

when i overheate from excersize and heated room temperature or climate, i seize like crazy

Usually during the change of seasons I tend to have more seizures than normal.

Hot or cold weather does not seem to trigger my seizures. Mine seem more from stress, holidays always get me ready for one. Mom kept a diary and said they usually came during a full moon.

Mine come from stress also. Usually around the holidays I'll have alot more than I normaly do.

it was really hot where i live the other day and my brother was really drowsy, and really not with it and the weather has been estimated to be really warm and i am getting worried about him! his last major seziure was on the 22nd of january it is now the 6th of july ansd he has only had minor seziures he falls to sleep so easy and throughout the night i have to walk in and check he is still okay and brething it really worries me! the last time he had a major fit i was the one that found him and not long after my dad had a andjena attack.
please get back to me as quick as you all did last time!
hope you are all doing well
xxx:p

Have you

considered using a monitor of some sort to be able to listen to him, so that you have some peace of mind, and can hear what's going on in his room?

I know that sounds odd, but some families choose to use a monitor similar to a baby monitor to help out. That way, if they hear something that sounds anything that is out of the ordinary, or is something that they equate with their family member having a seizure, they can quickly get to the patient, and deal with what may be going on.......

Also my son's epileptologist does the kind of monotoring at home, or school. But if its just nocturnal seizures talk to the doc and see if you can do it at home. My son can tell me now. And I check him all the time.

its been terribly hot and humid but I seem to suffer with endless auras that dont go into anything worse.That and the fact that I seem to live in a funhouse where things are never what they seem like they tip or come closer and my hallucinations are fewer but they seem to appear right next to me and that has become nervewracking.The heat just seems to intensify every aspect of my BEING if that makes sense-everything is brighter or clearer or louder or more inside me

My last seizure that I had, about a week ago, I was walking around in the city where it was really hot. We went into a building that had the air conditioning cranked and it was freezing in there.

I had to show my ID at the door and that's when my husband realized that I was having a seizure because I couldn't find my purse, which was hanging on my arm, then I couldn't figure out how to open it and find what I was looking for.

I don't know if that's what brought on the seizure or not?

I have complex partial seizures. Being too cold, and being too hot can cause me to have a seizure.

For sure I've had a seizure at least once after getting heat stroke. I tried so hard not to get heat stroke, but it happened anyways. Thankfully, only one seizure we know of caused by it.

Well look where you live. I could not survive that. You must be in good shape. I got heat stroke this year at about 93degrees. I had 1 grandmal. I constantly throw cool water on me.

Cold -- especially a cold wind or swimming in cold water is a definite trigger for Jon. One time, he'd gone for 2 years without a seizure, and then we were in a tuk tuk (little motorcycle taxi here in Asia) and it was in January and a little cool, and the wind was blowing -- and later that night he had a seizure. Then again, a few years later, we were on a golf cart, and it was winter and a cold wind blowing, and he went into a seizure cluster -- that was the day before he started the keto diet.

Another time, he'd gone for 7 months without a seizure, and then went swimming in cold water, and got one. He's had at least 3 seizures triggered by cold water.

Most of his seizures are at night. Sometimes we wonder if it's because of the lowering in body temperature. Esp. since he doesn't keep the covers on.

Hot weather isn't a problem for the seizures as much, but when he was on Topomax we had to be careful because he didn't sweat -- so easy to get overheated. He'll be starting on Zonegran soon, I think, and it has same effect. But we haven't seen a pattern of hot weather or even fever causing seizures for him. Of course, it's always hot in Bangkok.

Never really thought about it but since sinus infections seem to cause me lots of seizures and I get more sinus infections in the winter, winter is worse for me.

Back
Top Bottom