How Many Seizures Does A Person Have A Month?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
If you aren't taking anti seizure meds or anything like that. How many seizures does the average person have a month? We're talking like grand mals and/or tonic clinic seizures.
And how long do they last for like how many minutes?

Well, I've been unmedicated sort of. / off and on with Dilantin which hurt me in other ways... here and there but I haven't had meds in about a month and... well, about two weeks off going meds altogether I went status(had multiple TC's back to back) but no grand mals since then, just a worsening of my other symptoms. I've got an appointment Wed. and I might ask my new doctor about that... but also, I do believe a Grand Mal and Tonic Clonc seizure is the same thing just thta the term 'Grand Mal' is no longer used and 'Tonic Clonic' is the more present and clinical term used... I may be wrong...

Ummmm, why are some other symtoms that have been getting worse? Does this happend to everyone who takes Dilanten? Good luck with your doctors appointment. I think your right about the Grand Mal and Tonic Clonic thing about being the same thing.

Yup, grand mal and tonic clonic are the same thing. T-C is just the newer term.

As to how many seizures does the "average person" have per month -- there is no average person! There are sooooo many individual factors that can play a role, so there's no predictive model. In my case, when I went off meds, my tonic-clonic seizures slowly began to increase in frequency -- one every two months, one every 1.5 month, one every month... I could see the writing on the wall, and went back on meds.

I can't tell you how long the seizures lasted (since I was unconscious at the time), but I would assume no more than 5 minutes of actual seizing.

If you aren't taking anti seizure meds or anything like that. How many seizures does the average person have a month? We're talking like grand mals and/or tonic clinic seizures.
And how long do they last for like how many minutes?

If I weren't taking any meds, I would probably be having numerous TC seizures a month or going status (seizures that last longer than 5 minutes). I would probably be dead, for that matter.

Like Nakamova said, there is no "average" when it comes to seizures. We're all different and so many different factors play a role in seizures.

Ummmm, why are some other symtoms that have been getting worse? Does this happend to everyone who takes Dilanten?

What symptoms are getting worse? When I was on Dilantin, it gave me nightmares and panic attacks as a result of the nightmares.

When I wasn't taking meds, my simple-partials got pretty bad. I've always gotten the status epilepticus version of simple-partials, which are actually not dangerous like a status tonic-clonic seizure is, but it meant I would literally seize all day with hardly any time in between that I wasn't having a seizure. Eventually, for a few days before one of them generalized into a TC, I couldn't sleep at night because I would be woken up by simple partial seizures multiple times per night. When I was getting those kind of seizures, I would constantly have the shaking and slight jerking in the right side of my body, but I would also get these moments of my muscles grabbing and squeezing repeatedly. This is what would wake me up. I could sleep during the other part of the seizure, but the more violent muscle spasms was what would wake me up at night. So without meds, I'd say I got hundreds per month, but most of those lasted for hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom