Job ideas?!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm in college, and I have to declare a major soon. The problem is that I can't think of any profession that will work with my epilepsy! I'm on the waiting list for a seizure response dog and will have one by the time I graduate, so that narrows my options severely. I have seizures from flashing lights, lack of sleep, hunger, strong smells, vibrating things (like electric messagers or bumpy car rides), looking at tv/computer screens too long, over-working myself, and stress in general. Also, I have a VNS, and it makes me lose my voice every two minutes for 30 seconds. I'm at a total loss for ideas here. I don't want to keep paying for school if I'm never going to be able to use my degree. Anybody have any ideas?!?!

Hmmm, considering that most undergraduate degrees are useless in the current job market, I think that you should just pick a field that excites you.

What are your interests? What subjects are you strongest in?

Unfortunately, I've always been most drawn to medical fields, but I know that is impossible for me. I like all kinds of art and animals. I'm a very good writer, but I don't really want that to be what I do for life.

Some ideas:

Medical Illustration? Your college coursework would need to include art and/or biology. More info here: http://www.ami.org/medical-illustration/

Art Conservation/Restoration

Psychology (w. perhaps an emphasis on art therapy or animal therapy)

Anything at All.*

*It seems to me that your constraints aren't subject-related but more context-related. In other words, you can do just about anything (okay, maybe not airplane pilot) as long as you're able to have some control over the hours and the environment in which you work.

Back
Top Bottom