Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bigman
Great to see lifestyle and dietary changes working for the better.
Been using aloe vera gel to moisturise my girls scalp there is a section of dryness just in the front midline, it has made a difference... found this
was the best. I do recall you had some scalp issues with the Trileptal, this may help you.

I've tried various gels, moisturizers, shampoos. Nothing seems to work for too long. The only thing that "works" is to wash it at least three times a week. Anymore or less leaves it greasy. It looks like I will have to deal with it that way. Unless a dietary change helps it.

:)

Another thing Bigman

Its about a lifestyle change.

The FODMAPS is about a process of doing what works for your body, there has been foods that my girl has not been suited to and it involves lots of patience and trials. You have the advantage of figuring it out for yourself, whereas, I do have to observe, and try and gauge what suits my girl, I have to go by her behaviors and how her number two is like in appearance. Not always a pleasant job!

There is three things that Mg does
*supports healthy muscle function
*assists nervous system
*immune health and its based on scientific evidence.

Be open minded and actively advocate for your own health.
Be aware of interactions of products and understand the effects of all meds and complimentary products that you digest. Too much of something is not
ideal its about balance and constant reviewing.

For eg my girl takes a product called MultiGest Enzymes,(BioCeuticals) it contains Gentian and Fennal, one needs to understand indication and interactions
of its advantages and possible disadvantages.

I've been taking the B2 for a couple weeks. So far it seems to be helping with my headaches. Only side effect is darker (yellowed) urine. Which is fine to me. For now I will not be trying MG. It's still an option down the road if needed.

The FODMAPs is a trial and error, but I have been doing ok with it these past couple weeks. I've been keeping track of what I eat daily, and if/when and how many times I go to the bathroom (#2). In the past five days I went only twice. Just the urge to go, and no abdominal pain. Which is good for me. :) That's how I been doing for the past 2-3 weeks. I'd go a couple days, then not a few. The main relief is the abdominal pain has
eased up some. I still intend to get a Colonoscopy down the road.

BM :)

I was reading somewhere one large glass of water at 6am everyday has great results why 6am I not a clue but adamant it has to be that time.
I saw Chinese Doc few weeks ago acupuncture and he saw I had dry skin problem on my forehead he gave me something called huang pi fu.unable tell you more it in Chinese,it colour of brick dust and feels grainy.The dry patch I had was getting quite bloody in less than 3days it was gone and I had that skin problem over a year

I was reading somewhere one large glass of water at 6am everyday has great results why 6am I not a clue but adamant it has to be that time.
I saw Chinese Doc few weeks ago acupuncture and he saw I had dry skin problem on my forehead he gave me something called huang pi fu.unable tell you more it in Chinese,it colour of brick dust and feels grainy.The dry patch I had was getting quite bloody in less than 3days it was gone and I had that skin problem over a year

The "huang pi fu" is a treatment for psoriasis. I have seen a dermatologist about this a while back. My condition is dry flaky scalp, not psoriasis. It looks kinda like a yellowish suntan that's flaking off. The skin underneath is not really red. It's only red if scrubbed too hard.
If I can find a vitamin / medication / diet that can help great. But if not, I need to wait it out until I'm no longer on Trileptal. For now I'm sticking with it, no need to cause unnecessary stress.

BM
unless you have actually tried Aloe vera gel you don't really know it will work for you, will not know till you try it? all it takes is going to the grocery aisle when there is sunscreens and aloe veral gel will be found.

My girls flakes has a yellowish tinge and its only located in the mid section of her forehead by applying the aloe vera consistenly it moisturizes and nourishes the skin dryness and all the gunk comes off later. I only add a small amount each night before her bedtime with a makeup pad.

Ps
It needs to be given daily and I do believe its the Trileptal causing it as she never had this issue pre Trileptal.

I've tried various gels, moisturizers, shampoos. Nothing seems to work for too long. The only thing that "works" is to wash it at least three times a week. Anymore or less leaves it greasy. It looks like I will have to deal with it that way. Unless a dietary change helps it.

I've been taking the B2 for a couple weeks. So far it seems to be helping with my headaches. Only side effect is darker (yellowed) urine. Which is fine to me. For now I will not be trying MG. It's still an option down the road if needed.

The FODMAPs is a trial and error, but I have been doing ok with it these past couple weeks. I've been keeping track of what I eat daily, and if/when and how many times I go to the bathroom (#2). In the past five days I went only twice. Just the urge to go, and no abdominal pain. Which is good for me. :) That's how I been doing for the past 2-3 weeks. I'd go a couple days, then not a few. The main relief is the abdominal pain has
eased up some. I still intend to get a Colonoscopy down the road.

BM :)

Regarding FODMAPS...

utilize the dietician to provide ideas with simple non complicated recipes, she should also get you to learn about checking food labels. when purchasing foods its important to check the ingredients list to see if any FODMAPS have been added like inulin sorbitol etc.
Learn about what you can eat exactly when dining out.
Understand the use of probiotics.
Understand the use of what seasoning can be used etc etc

You will get there in your own time. :)
If the food does not work well for you reduce and or eventually eliminate.

When I first saw all the recipes and lists with the dietician I felt overwhelmed by it all ... now its a part of my families life.

My girls flakes has a yellowish tinge and its only located in the mid section of her forehead by applying the aloe vera consistenly.

Well that's a big difference there. The flakiness is my whole head basically. :( Primarily around my forehead, eyebrows, mustache, beard, etc. :(

Maybe I tried the wrong kind. I'll see about some aloe again.

Ps
It needs to be given daily and I do believe its the Trileptal causing it as she never had this issue pre Trileptal.

This is the only side effect I've had with Trileptal. It seems to have gotten worse since my RTLS. IMHO, I believe my body isn't processing the Trileptal enough so this is a way my body is coping with it.

Regarding FODMAPS...

utilize the dietitian to provide ideas with simple non complicated recipes, she should also get you to learn about checking food labels. when purchasing foods its important to check the ingredients list to see if any FODMAPS have been added like inulin sorbitol etc.
Learn about what you can eat exactly when dining out. Understand the use of probiotics. Understand the use of what seasoning can be used etc etc

You will get there in your own time. :)
If the food does not work well for you reduce and or eventually eliminate.

When I first saw all the recipes and lists with the dietitian I felt overwhelmed by it all ... now its a part of my families life.

I've been checking labels, and swapping out food items. IE: If relish bothers me I'll try sliced up pickles instead.
Onions & Garlic do seem to be bothering me, so I switched to Onion & Garlic Powders. I still get the flavors I want, without the pain. :)

I don't eat out that often, so that isn't much of a problem. When I do, I always make sure to check the menu ahead of time. I always bring my UC/IBS meds.

The nutritionist I saw gave me a better way to look at the FODMAPS. "Just Use It As A Guide", not set in stone.

Simple changes can make a big difference. :)

BIGMAN - interesting that onions and garlic bother you. As I've mentioned before I have celiac disease and while onions and garlic of course do not contain gluten, these can cause me similar symptoms as if I did consume gluten.

af82v8.png
Months, nothing in site.

I still have an occasional headache when stressed. :(
But the B2 seems to be helping for the daily ones I was having. :)

The fiber seems to be doing it's job. But it's got a way to go.

But over I'm feeling good. :)

2iicz2f.jpg
months! :)

Looks like this year may finish of good.

Although this year has been plenty stressful. The seizures have stayed away. :)

The past couple days have really been stressing. My new computer was up and running for a while, then it stopped. :( I'm hoping it's a simple fix. My old PC (what I'm using now) is over 13yrs old.

As for the IBS, it's been so/so. The holiday will be a real test. I try to avoid or limit the baddies. Overall my IBS has been routine. I'd have a few "go days", some "quiet days", and "attack days".

"go days" - several trips to the bathroom :(
'quiet days" - stomach doesn't bother me, no bathroom trips :)
"attack days" - IBS flares, days when just thinking about food causes my stomach pain. :(:(

If I feel like I'm having a "go or quiet day", I will eat a little more. Stuff that I know may
bother me like corn, sprouts, eggrolls, I'll eat. On the "attack days", I'll stick to rice, lite soups, pasta, etc. So far that has been making my IBS more tolerable.

congrats on the seizure-free milestone! And good luck with the holiday diet. :)

Well it should be ok if I don't overdue it. The usual spread of crackers, cheese, cookies, crescent dogs, meatballs, etc.
But one of my favorite is canned cookies. They're available year round, but I like them at XMAS time.
17bns7.jpg

I could eat the can myself. lol But I share with the family. lol

A family member found a lucky penny yesterday while they were out. At the time I was
working on my new computer. I managed to get it working. Looks like that penny was lucky.
:) Hopefully it's luck can carry over into the New Year.

2hyknck.jpg
months seizure free. :)

Well the new year is off to a fair start.

Well my three month supply of B-2 is almost finished. For the most part the B-2 seemed to help some with my daily headaches. The really stressful days didn't see any relief. But I kinda expected that. Once I finish the B-2, I'll switch to the CoQ10. I plan I trying that for three months. Hopefully that provides the same or better relief.

Other than that, everything is the same ol, same ol. :)

As of 2/13/17
152i9a0.jpg

months seizure free. :)

Couple days late posting but my heads been swamped lately. :(

To much going on giving me bad stress headaches.

Hopefully I can get things worked out soon. But this is causing my IBS to be very unpredictable. Which makes me worry about the possibility of a breakthrough seizure. :(

Congrats on reaching 33!
Now a take a deep calming breath and relax. Send those stress headaches packing...

Back
Top Bottom