Looking ahead to surgery, but fear is setting in.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm glad you found the appointment helpful. I sincerely hope that the FODMAPS diet is helpful for you. I have celiac disease and even though I am completely (and religiously lol) gluten free, for reasons that are not completely clear celiac disease can cause sensitivities to and/or difficulties digesting other foods. A version of the FODMAPS diet recommended to me by my GI doc. has helped me tremendously and many of the GI's other celiac patients as well. I hope you will continue with the updates to us, BIGMAN!

I'm hopeful with my new incite on the FODMAPS, I can adjust to it much easier.

Adjusting portions of "problem" foods. Cooking foods in different ways to check for a more tolerable method. (IE: steamed or baked, etc) Possibly eat "problem" foods at different times. (IE: lunch or dinner)

IMHO, I feel this is more challenging and stressful than my surgery was.
But with help and time I over came it. So I feel I can do the same with this. :)
I may not be able to stay completely on the FODMAPS, but I will give it my best shot.

Hopefully you, myself and others who have to deal with this issue can get all the help we need. One possible problem is that we all are shopping in the wrong sections in the
grocery stores.

"Healthy Areas" include the outer sections in the store: Bakery, Produce, Seafood, Meats, Dairy, (Plain) Frozen Produce

"Unhealthy Areas" center of the store which is most things that come in a bag, box or can.

I'll update with the good or bad. Hopefully more good. :)

Well I had my yearly check-in with my Neurologist yesterday. Had me do the basic reflexes tests: walking, finger to nose, follow the finger, etc. I will stick with my Trileptal. Why fix what's not broken.

Afterwards I explained about my continued headaches. So I was told to give some OTC Supplements a try.

Magnesium Oxide 400mg a day
Vitamin B2 200-400mg a day
Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day

Told me to try them separately or through a multi-vitamin.
My neurologists said it may take 2-3 months to see any results.

Have any of you tried these supplements? Did you see any benefits with them?
Are you still on them? Any particle brand better than others, etc?

Magnesium oxide and citrate can have a laxative effect, the malate and chelated varieties have higher absorption rates requiring lower doses and less chance of diarrhea.

You can try one of the chelated forms of magnesium like magnesium bisglycinate or magnesium threonate, or a mag blend with low or no oxide or citrate.

I have used both of these without issue. I still take the mega magnesium.
I do have less muscle cramps when taking the magnesium but my headaches are unchanged.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/lindberg+mega+magnesium+90+capsules.aspx

http://www.jarrow.com/product/578/MagMind

I suspect that this is what you did, Frink, but to others here I would suggest researching scientific articles about the bioavailability and absorbabilty of the different forms of magnesium rather than going to the sites (or health food stores) that sell the products and taking their word for the "best" form to take, or going to the nutrition or naturopath sites the come up during a search.

It is important to research scientific and well-respected medical sites that have performed carefully controlled studies to make sure first that any magnesium supplement at all is safe for you to take (it can interact with some medications), to have a blood test performed to make sure your magnesium levels are not already too high, and then to decide for yourself the best form to take.

With Bigmans IBS my primary concern was osmotic changes in the bowel.
I do not have IBS and mag oxide has cleaned me out.

You're absolutely right, Frink. IBS, and other GI issues such as celiac disease, can present significant issues to keep in mind when choosing the right supplement. As I mentioned in my previous post, I know you would have done the scientific and medical research to figure all this out. Medical conditions, current medications, and supplements can weave a complicated web!

Thx for the incite.

Well going by my Neurologists suggestions, my own research, CWE incite, I decided on a plan of action.

My plan is to try the Vitamin B2 200mg a day first. I'll start with the 200mg and take it for
2-3 months. If it works, great. If not, but I see some positive results I may go to the 400mg. If after the 2-3 months with no change at all, I'll stop.
I'll try the Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months.

After I tried both the Vitamin B2 200-400mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day separately, I may try them together for 2-3 months. Depending on previous results will determine the B2 dosage (200-400mg)

My absolute last resort is the Magnesium Oxide 400mg a day for 2-3 months.
I don't need any laxative in my system. lol

Supplement plan(s)

plan A: Vitamin B2 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan B: Vitamin B2 400mg a day for 2-3 months

plan C: Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan D: Vitamin B2 200mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan E: Vitamin B2 400mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan F: Magnesium Oxide 400mg a day for 2-3 months

Any thoughts on my plan(s)?

I'm hoping plan A, B, or C will work. I'd even be fine if plan D & E works.

I dread having to go with plan F. Nobody likes plan F. lol

I would say do not fear magnesium, if you take the oxide form just be aware of the potential outcome and using a different form with reduced laxative qualities should work fine.

You could also try increasing the amounts of high magnesium foods you eat.

It would be a great idea to ask your IBS doctor about this and get some blood work to see if you actually are deficient in these things.

Headaches can be caused by so many things meds, diet, allergies, TMJ, vision changes, problems with teeth, lighting, stress, noise, vascular spasm, blood pressure.....

Thx for the incite.

Well going by my Neurologists suggestions, my own research, CWE incite, I decided on a plan of action.

My plan is to try the Vitamin B2 200mg a day first. I'll start with the 200mg and take it for
2-3 months. If it works, great. If not, but I see some positive results I may go to the 400mg. If after the 2-3 months with no change at all, I'll stop.
I'll try the Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months.

After I tried both the Vitamin B2 200-400mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day separately, I may try them together for 2-3 months. Depending on previous results will determine the B2 dosage (200-400mg)

My absolute last resort is the Magnesium Oxide 400mg a day for 2-3 months.
I don't need any laxative in my system. lol

Supplement plan(s)

plan A: Vitamin B2 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan B: Vitamin B2 400mg a day for 2-3 months

plan C: Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan D: Vitamin B2 200mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan E: Vitamin B2 400mg & Coenzyme Q-10 200mg a day for 2-3 months

plan F: Magnesium Oxide 400mg a day for 2-3 months

Any thoughts on my plan(s)?

I'm hoping plan A, B, or C will work. I'd even be fine if plan D & E works.

I dread having to go with plan F. Nobody likes plan F. lol

Your plan makes a lot of sense to me. Starting with one and then waiting 2-3 months before adding the next dose increase, or adding the next supplement, allows you to evaluate the benefits each step in your plan more clearly. Is this what you're thinking? Sounds like the application of knowledge gained from trials of various seizure medications :)

I also like Frink's suggestion of having your levels of magnesium tested to see if you are deficient. As I'm sure you know IBS (like celiac disease) can cause deficiencies in some vitamins/minerals/electrolytes but not others and because of the deficiency of some of these others become elevated relative to these ones, so a careful process is required to re-establish the balance. If magnesium is not deficient, increasing magnesium rich foods might be the best first step if an increase in magnesium is something you decide to try after your first plan you mention above.

Your plan makes a lot of sense to me. Starting with one and then waiting 2-3 months before adding the next dose increase, or adding the next supplement, allows you to evaluate the benefits each step in your plan more clearly. Is this what you're thinking? Sounds like the application of knowledge gained from trials of various seizure medications :)/QUOTE]

Yes, I intend to give each plan a fair chance 2-3 months. The results will determine if I move to the next plan. My PCP & neurologist both did blood work. If there was any problems I would have gotten a call(s).

fwq53t.jpg

Months seizure free. :)

I've been taking the Vitamin B2 400mg a day for the past couple weeks. So far so good.
My headaches seem to be getting better. But I will stay with it to see if its long term relief.

I'm still trying to stick with the FODMAPS. I've changed out wheat for white bread, adjust portion sizes, etc. So far I've seen some improvement. I've even gotten one of those
"air fryers" to help cook my foods more healthier. It'll be great to make healthier versions of my fav. foods. :)

BIGMAN,

I was wondering do you ever get auras since your surgery? I had laser ablation surgery almost 16 months ago. I still get occasional auras, but nothing else.

All though high school I would get auras before my CPS. It would be a cold chill running up my back &/or a weird smell. But when I turned 19/20yrs they stopped.
My CPS would just hit me with no warning.

Fast forward to now. The only things I get now since my RTLS are headaches. Some minor, while others major. Are these auras? I don't know, but if so hopefully the seizures stay away. If my only "seizure activity" is headaches, I win. :)

Whoohoo! Keep those milestones coming... :)

Bigman
Great to see lifestyle and dietary changes working for the better.
Been using aloe vera gel to moisturise my girls scalp there is a section of dryness just in the front midline, it has made a difference... found this was the best. I do recall you had some scalp issues with the Trileptal, this may help you.

Another thing Bigman

Its about a lifestyle change.

The FODMAPS is about a process of doing what works for your body, there has been foods that my girl has not been suited to and it involves lots of patience and trials. You have the advantage of figuring it out for yourself, whereas, I do have to observe, and try and gauge what suits my girl, I have to go by her behaviours and how her number two is like in appearance.
Not always a pleasant job!

There is three things that Mg does
*supports healthy muscle function
*assists nervous system
*immune health and its based on scientific evidence.

Be open minded and actively advocate for your own health.
Be aware of interactions of products and understand the effects of all meds and complimentary products that you digest. Too much of something is not ideal its about balance and constant reviewing.

For eg my girl takes a product called MultiGest Enzymes,(BioCeuticals) it contains Gentian and Fennal, one needs to understand indication and interactions of its advantages and possible disadvantages.

Back
Top Bottom