masturbation induced seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lh2rip

Reaction score
Basically I haven't told my physician about this due to embarrassment, and I've found zero resources on the internet for this.

Towards the end of 2010, I was masturbating in the shower before work. I felt my right hand tense up (I'm right handed) and it felt like my hand was just getting a really bad cramp. But I couldn't shake the cramp and I couldn't get my hand off of my penis. At this point my vision started to go black and I could feel the muscle tensing up my arm, into my shoulder, my neck and finally my face and then I passed out. I woke up half an hour later in the bottom of the tub with my head split open and went to the ER, told them I just blacked out, got stitches and I was on my way.

Two months later, the same thing happened but when my hand started tensing I knew what was coming, sat down and kicked off the water. This time the seizing was MUCH more violent and my arm was flipping around wildly, extremely tense and painful, and it again moved its way up my arm, shoulder, neck and face and I passed out. I didn't go to the ER that time, and just finished my shower after I woke up and went to work.

Since this, I've tried masturbating with my right hand and it will start to cramp and I have to shake it off. I've also lost some dexterity with my right hand besides the obvious. I can't really manipulate my fingers as much and writing has become a little more difficult to the point where its changed my handwriting.

About 6 months ago, I finally went to a neuro for an MRI, and the MRI showed as being normal but they found a cholesterol granuloma in my ear, but I doubt that was the cause of the seizures and loss of dexterity.

I've not mentioned this to anyone I know or my doctor. What the hell is happening to me? :(

i also think i've had a few seizures while sleeping. a few days ago i woke up in the middle of the night and felt like i was tensing up and then i passed out again. other times i've woken up in the morning and my arm muscles will feel real sore.

also idk if im supposed to be doing this but after i wake up from the seizure ill go to sleep in my bed. after i split my head open the first time i just got up, dried off and fell back asleep and bled all over my bed and THEN went to the hosp after i woke up from the nap.

Wow, thats some scary stuff! I haven't had that happen to me, but if it makes you feel any better, I do masturbate..lol.

I think petero posted something about masturbation, and seizures. If I had the time I'd find the post...but I bet he sees this and responds.

Welcome. :)

I forgot to add----

Please let your doctor know. You can't be helped if they don't know what's going on.

:agree:

Don't be embarrassed to tell your doctor. Believe me, nothing fazes them. You might ask about getting a cardiac work-up, since circulation issues can also cause black-outs and cramping. It could also be related to a damaged nerve in the neck area.

lol. i found ONE thing on yahoo answers about it, but that was just full of dumb comments about "heh it must have been really good" and so on.

i had a cardiac check out and that all came back normal. it was definitely a seizure and not just a black out. the arm tensing and flailing with the muscles in it so tight it was excruciating pain, and then the brain dead feeling after i woke up, def not just blacking out.

Wow, thats some scary stuff! I haven't had that happen to me, but if it makes you feel any better, I do masturbate..lol.

I think petero posted something about masturbation, and seizures. If I had the time I'd find the post...but I bet he sees this and responds.

Welcome. :)

there are several other post around here about it. because lots of us masturbate alot

i searched around. this must be pretty damned rare bc i literally find almost next to nothing on it. has nobody heard about this?

i actually think there are several blocked terms, or you have to look in the blocked sectors I tried a few, and got no matches what so ever that i know that there are matches for,

If you look up reflex epilepsy, you can see than almost anything can trigger a seizure. Orgasm is one of them. Hopefully these occurrences you have are just coincidence. I've only ever had a seizure once during sex. I managed to hold it off until the end.
I would not want my seizures triggered by happy/pleasurable things. Right now they are triggered by music, movie trailers and sometimes the scenery while in the car.
I think if you start to expect seizures during certain events, they can occur because of the expectation or anxiety. It might be good to put yourself in that situation more often.

I'm holding myself back from tons of sarcastic remarks as I have no idea of how they would be taken.

ah, that's right, search for "orgasm" you will kill a few hours.
i used the wrong term.

LOL. i can only imagine. the strange part is its only right handed masturbation. left handed and actual sex, nothing happens. it might be some sort of brain damage, as its effected my right hand a little bit as far as writing and everything. idk.

If you look up reflex epilepsy, you can see than almost anything can trigger a seizure. Orgasm is one of them. Hopefully these occurrences you have are just coincidence. I've only ever had a seizure once during sex. I managed to hold it off until the end.
I would not want my seizures triggered by happy/pleasurable things. Right now they are triggered by music, movie trailers and sometimes the scenery while in the car.
I think if you start to expect seizures during certain events, they can occur because of the expectation or anxiety. It might be good to put yourself in that situation more often.

I'm holding myself back from tons of sarcastic remarks as I have no idea of how they would be taken.

You could get your vascular system checked out for safety in general. There may be some abnormality in a vessel. Who knows.

I know that when you about to climax your brain is basically having a seizure bit people who have had seizure or have epilepsy are more then likely have a seizure.
I don't know if that makes sence but I forgot the word he called it.
Please go talk to our doc. You need to be careful :)

my Neuro is looking into this and my epi didn't want to touch this subject with a 20 foot pole, she just walked right around it and called my seizures PNES and called it a day, saying stress (which is at a all time low) too much soda (4 cans from 7am to 12am give or take) and I dont fit the gen profile of PNES of my seizuries, I have had many issues from the same thing after making love to my wife which cause the worst seizures and after doing it myself, then later that night I'll have a night seizure I'll have a night seizure with urination and wake up sore tired and with a migraine, you are not alone talk to your doc and see a neuro and get checked it could lead to more issues down the line my friend!
mike

This is embarrassing to admit, but masturbation has triggered my seizures, and it's probably the easiest way to reproduce one for me. I'm posting this here for anyone who has the same.

I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and there have been a few instances where I have had a seizure triggered by masturbation. Specifically, when I do it first thing in the morning, just after waking up.

My seizures occur in my sleep, in the comfort of my bed. I think when I'm in a specific sleep stage/changing stages, clearing the snorkel can act as a trigger for me, since my fantasies feel like I'm dreaming or something. I'm a person who is able to close his eyes and drift away into dreamland pretty quick.

Next thing I know, my head starts getting twitchy...and it just happens.

I recently had a seizure about 3 weeks ago, but this happened after I had adjusted the handbrake and was in the shower. I've been getting poor sleep lately and was taking a hot one, when I could feel the seizure coming on. At some point after trying to get out of the tub, it must have happened. I woke up on the floor with a nasty goose egg.

This morning, I was in bed holding the sausage hostage when I felt that same twitchy feeling. I stopped, got up and breathed and thankfully the feeling went away.

I should also mention, that I'm an alcoholic, so this probably doesn't help things.

Cheers.

Well, I was going to mention temporal lobe epilepsy, and then gutsbullet beat me to it.

There is a connection between sex and temporal lobe epilepsy and also sex hormones, but generally it's that this kind of epilepsy causes lack of libido. However, the temporal lobes do have something to do with sexual arousal.

Is there someone sleeping with you at night that can verify the nocturnal seizures?

You really should go to the doc about this -- even just the fact that you've passed out twice in the shower (which could also be a blood pressure thing) is pretty scary.

i understand it can give you migrain head aches...i was somewhere that had intense strob lights this week and i did not realise be so much there were 80.000 people there apart from me.i thought i had my chips but the contary,i had the most intense pleasure that possible inclusive of every pleasueable feeling a human could have and i have temporal lobe i was euphoic and i know that can be felt with people with epilepsy.sex usually give me headache but this was different,so there is a connection,maybe if you maserbate within in those paremiters of something else like music or intense colours as i belive has effect on the brain as it did with me...i still waking on clouds

Back
Top Bottom