Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Mr. Bill,
I've been wearing mine for years. Only added epilepsey this year. For the most part, no one seems to notice. If I get asked about it twice in a year, that is a lot. My response is usually positive, most people are curious, you don't have to go into a lot of detail (most don't want a lot of detail), and maybe you can teach someone something new.

Maureen

To Mr. Bill - Lighten up! It's a way to inform medical personnel not a public service announcement. The info is listed inside and no one seems to notice or even mentions it, after all unless I tell 'em it could be allergies to bee stings for all they know..lots of people got lots of stuff, E is just one thing. I hate to see E have so much power - not tryin to preach just give it some prospective.:soap:

Good perspective PS... I don't have to wear it so I didn't see it from that POV.
Bee Stings, Peanut Butter, in-laws, ... what else can we be allergic to?

IN-LAWS???!!!

:ponder:

I wonder if they're seizure-triggers too?

:ponder:

I saw an ebay seller that sells just the ID tag engraved for $15. I might get one and go to the bead store and make my own band.

sounds like a good idea...you might even get a little business started.

Hi Mr. Bill!
There's a site, I think it's in the UK, that advertises a medal that's a bit more discreet....I can't remember the website, but it's called SOS. They offer one medal with an SOS on one side and the snake on the other, or you can get one that has a St. Christopher on the opposite side, or a Star of David, or a Cross. I'm thinking about ordering one for myself. It actually has all your info inside the medal on a slip of paper.

Personally, I just started wearing my medal again. I have a necklace, so it hides well under my clothes. Mine is the old drugstore model and just has epileptic engraved on the back. I honestly would be more likely to wear them if they weren't priced as high as they are at the websites where I actually liked the designs. I like being able to have my jewelry match my outifts. However, one thing I've done for the last oh 16 years, is carry a dogtag on my car keys. I had a friend that was in the Navy at one point and made one for me. It has my name, epilepsy, the meds I take, and instructions NOT to call the paramedics...like I need another $900 ride to the ER....:)

Dogtags are a bracelet alternative

An alternative to medic alert bracelets for carrying your health information are military style dogtags.

Examples can be found at mydogtag.ca/medical

You can get a note from the neurologist that inform the instructors what needs to be done in case it happens in class. Ours states that 911 does not need to be called unless the seizure is over 5 min.

Problem is... ER does nothing, except tests and sends you packing.

I like the dog tag idea though

Our EMT's have NEVER looked at her bracelet, though I make sure she wears it daily. Those that care about her know it is there, with my phone number readily accessible.
I wear the braclet 24 hours a day, at first I didn't want to but then I found out I could get the writing done in my favorite color(purple).Now I don't even notice it's there. People look at it sometimes, but so what, they look at my hands more, which shake like crazy. I also got the dog tags and wear those sometimes if they go with the outfit

Recently...

Recently I got a new bracelet. I really like it. It comes with an elastic strap. The "medal" part is actually made of plastic, and contains a piece of paper that was actually large enough to hold contact numbers for 2 people, what meds I take, how much, as well as my different diagnoses. Also, the "medal" part is water resisitant, and can be removed from the elastic strap and put on my shoelaces. :) It actually gets mistaken for a watch most of the time.

Medical Id Bracelet

I ordered (very expensive) a bracelet ID. Chose a slick design with all my meds of course engraved on the back but in a matter of days I broke out in a rash. I now clip it to the sipper in my hand bag. Best thing I could think of. I'm avoiding ordering the necklace because I fear I'll get an allergic reation to that! A conundrum because we really should be wearing them and not just attached in a hand bag. Laurie

I was wearing my bracelet all the time when I answered this poll, but I haven't been lately. I am home most of the time. I have an envelope marked "medical emergency" on my fridge door with my info in there.

I go for daily walks, I use an id holder that has an alligator clip to put it on your clothes. (I was given one when I went to Colonial Willliamsburg) I just removed the id they put in it and replaced it with my own medical info.

Please forgive if I've mentioned this before, I don't remember. There is a good site that will print up whatever info you give them in teeny tiny readable print for you to print. Updating it is a pain because they don't keep a record, but I also like the privacy.

The site is http://www.medids.com
scroll down and click on "medical wallet id card"

Kerin

To SpinMommy - I am also home most of the time and posting my information on the fridg is a good idea. Earlier I read that someone brought an elastic band bracelet which I should look into. I get horrible rashes from the metal one. In October I plan to fly to FLA to visit my very sharp 92 year old uncle (who is also a dear friend) and need some kind of ID. We are now discussing how to handle the visit. He says "type me up the instructions of what to do if you have a seizure. Sounds simple enough to handle" He's so cute but I wonder if I should be on a one to one with him mostly for his sake. The only option is to have my third cousin from hell there with us all the time. She upsets us both. I know I'm going off the point of bracelets but I'm flooded with all types of precautions as GM Seizures are new to me. Laurie

you know i never really gave thought to getting a bracelet. But since i've read your views on it, I guess I am going to get myself one of those dog tags, it seems the way to go considering that i dont like to use much jewelry anyway,:banana: thanks for the idea. Im going to get right on that asap

Hi Laurie! Just think of GM seizures as breakdancing to music that only you can hear.... :) I have Grand mals too. There really aren't that many precautions that you have to take...and if you're seizures are under control, then you should be fine. Just make sure that you get plenty of rest, and don't over stress yourself. You might want to mail your 92 year old uncle basic first aid instructions for handling a seizure. Wear a bracelet or tag of some sort while going through airports, and you should be just fine. :)

I just got my bracelet today, I also had a visit with my neurologist, I showed it to him and he said its a great idea to have one, should something happen. Well I have an EEG this coming friday..

You might think I'm very irresponsible with this, but my way of dealing with my epilepsy is to laugh at it! I carry an ID card that I got from Epilepsy Action, it tells whoever finds me in a heap who I am, who to contact, what my condition is, and not to call an ambulance unless...blah blah blah, it tells them not to put anything in my mouth, and I've playfully written underneath..."Cos you won't get it back!" and where it says.."you could help me by..." and I've written..."Getting me to the nearest pub!!" I'm afraid that after 22 years with this condition, I can really only cope with it by laughing at it, what do you think folks?

If I have A Seizure You Can Help Me By...

It's anonymous voting as always...
You might think I'm very irresponsible with this, but my way of dealing with my epilepsy is to laugh at it! I carry an ID card that I got from Epilepsy Action, it tells whoever finds me in a heap who I am, who to contact, what my condition is, and not to call an ambulance unless...blah blah blah, it tells them not to put anything in my mouth, and I've playfully written underneath..."Cos you won't get it back!" and where it says.."you could help me by..." and I've written..."Getting me to the nearest pub!!" I'm afraid that after 22 years with this condition, I can really only cope with it by laughing at it, what do you think folks?

Hi Laurie
Hope you are ok mate, did you get my last e.mail? I just wanted to know as I hadn't heard back form you I was a bit worried? Let me know you are ok?

Cheers
Elaine

Back
Top Bottom