Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have other bracelets to wear. I've known the option of a medic alert bracelet but I never seriously considered having one. Things would probably be different if I had more grand mal seizures outside of my home.

I've been wearing a Medic Alert Bracelet since I was like 3 y/o but not related to being epileptic because I'm not, I got my because of another medical condition Porphyria (which can trigger sezures).

My hubby who is Epileptic just got his Medic Alert ban in the mail a couple days ago - its an early christmas gift (so to speak) before this he just had a tag that said he has epilepsy but around here its not even recognized most of our EMTs are trained to look for and respond to a Medic Alert tag - so once we where able to afford the cost its what I sent away for him.

This is what an EMT told me this weekend. He said you don't hear the word "epilepsy" much anymore. You hear siezure disorder. Because there are so many ways of people will have a siezure. Welcome!

Hi Nyxks, glad to have you here. I have had a Medic Alert Bracelet since a friend gave me one.. My first one was a gift from a friend.

This forum was made by Bernard for his wife Stacy, out of love. She has epilepsy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I now have to add Alzheimer's to my bracelet. I will have to get a new one. I need to remember to call up Medic Alert. I have early stage Alzheimer's. I am on medication for it and it is helping me.

Hope to see you post more. Go to the Foyer Room and tell us what you are going through. You will make a lot of friends here. I know that I have.

Your poll should have -I need/want one-

I thought about having one and I really do need it but I need the one that holds ALL your info in a chip. I have a lot crap they need to know. Like my severe allergy to Dilantin (which they automatically give you in the hospital) and that you should NOT call the EMTs or bring me to the hospital.

Also do self made medical card on a lanyard count? if so, then yes. I do have one. I wear it everytime I go out.

I rely on my medic alert bracelet!! It holds ALL of my info, all my emergency contact numbers and my ever changing med list. For me it is a real comfort. My husband and I just got back from a trip to Europe and it was a big help to me that I had mine on. My husband got me the international one with the number that can be used in any country and because of the symbal on the front, everyone recognizes it as medical not decorative. The added plus for me is that family can be contacted if I get lost ( which is often ) Who knew there were sooo many restrooms at the Vatican? My poor husband was a bit distressed looking for the wayward wife...

I was rushed to the hospital Sunday. They wanted to know what medicines I am allergic to. I had my Medic Alert bracelet on and they called Medic Alert. They got all of my medicines that I am on.

I had a seizure and hit my neck on the marble table. My husband thought I was dead, he called 911 right away. I was bleeding all over the place. I am still here!!

I was rushed to the hospital Sunday. They wanted to know what medicines I am allergic to. I had my Medic Alert bracelet on and they called Medic Alert. They got all of my medicines that I am on.

I had a seizure and hit my neck on the marble table. My husband thought I was dead, he called 911 right away. I was bleeding all over the place. I am still here!!

Oh my goodness Ruth! I hope you are ok.

I didnt realize that Medica Alert will keep all that information on file for the hospital or whomever to call, thats pretty handy. I thought all the information was on the bracelet. We have put off ordering one for our daughter because we are not sure if the Dr. is going to put her on medication or not. Didnt want to order one, and then have to get a new one. How does that work with all the medication changes that can occur?

I didnt realize that Medica Alert will keep all that information on file for the hospital or whomever to call, thats pretty handy. I thought all the information was on the bracelet. We have put off ordering one for our daughter because we are not sure if the Dr. is going to put her on medication or not.

The way it works is you can have whatever message you want engraved in the back. As well it has the phone number to call medic alert. To get information one has to give specific ID proving that they are a medical doctor and you are identified by your bracelet number so that your info stays private. If you change medications you call the medic alert people & tell them you'd like to change/add something to your file for the doctors to see.

I didnt realize that Medic Alert will keep all that information on file for the hospital or whomever to call, thats pretty handy. I thought all the information was on the bracelet. We have put off ordering one for our daughter because we are not sure if the Dr. is going to put her on medication or not. Didnt want to order one, and then have to get a new one. How does that work with all the medication changes that can occur?

I've got a medic alert bracelet which I've had for 10 years. I got my bracelet through the Medic Alert foundation whom I'm registered with. On the inside of my Medic Alert bracelet I have epilepsy engraved & also on it is the contact number of the Medic Alert Foundation as well as my membership No.
I also have a Medic Alert Card which came with the bracelet & fits well in my purse, it has all my details - Membership No, My name & Address, Emergency Contact, My Neurologists details, Blood type, Medical Conditions, Allergies, Medications & any other information (If applicable).

The main cost was the actual bracelet when I 1st got it then after that I just have to renew my membership every year by paying a small membership fee. I just update any details when I pay my fee each year & get a new updated Medic Alert card after I renew my membership.

My Medic Alert bracelet is from Australia so it may be a bit different in other countries.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about your seizure Ruth.

About 4 years ago when I was walking down the street on my way to one of the places I volunteer I had a bad seizure. I'm glad I was wearing my Medic Alert Bracelet that day because I had left my Mobile Phone & bag at home that day so only had my house keys on me & had no I.D with me.
I lost 3 hours of that day & woke up in hospital but after I woke up & was more aware of my surroundings the nurse explained to my Mum & I what happened. She also said that because I was wearing my Medic Alert bracelet they were able to ring the Medic Alert Foundation, get my name, Mums contact number & my Neurologists contact number. After they got the relevant info from the Medic Alert Foundation they rang my Mum to let her know I was in hospital & then rang my Neuro to find out what dosages of meds I was on & if he wanted them to give me any meds.

I now take my bag with me whenever I go down the street & always have my mobile phone with me. My mobile phone has both my Mums & Neuros contact numbers saved as I.C.E (In Case Emergency). I am due to be slowly weened of one of my meds soon. After I see the Neuro & do know which med they'll ween me of I'm thinking of making a small card (that I can put with my mobile phone) which will just have what meds I'm on with what dosage amounts I'm on each med & when my dosage amount will change.

Last edited:
Ruth, I love your attitude; 'I'm still here". Down but not out! Might I recomend softer furnishings? LOL I have my own history of tiled edges and horses (don't ask..unless you have time for that story) Glad you are ok and I am very glad you had your medic alert!! I love mine...so does my family. Your husband deserves a steak dinner for his quick thinking ( and surviving a big scare ) I often think it is harder on those who love us to witness our seizures sometimes...hang in there and keep up your spirits!

I agree, my husband and son have it harder than me. My son saw me fall and he screamed. It really scared him. I was out and I did not know.

So, they do have it harder.

It is great that Medic Alert has contact numbers in case we are not at home. They just call Medic Alert and find out who my doctor's are and my family's phone number or numbers. They just call up my family and they know where I am at.

Mine just arrived this week. I ordered a stainless steel bracelet and a silicon sports band one. The bracelet is okay, but it's not very pretty. It's all I could afford. I LOVED Lauren's Hope ones but these were cheaper. I got the silicon one for cycling/sport. I really like it but the band is too big. I think I need to send it back and ask for a shorter band.

I do feel safer having one on.

This place has some really nice stuff. They are a little more expensive and of course don't have the 24/7 medical record service that Med alert. Something different for those who would like to dress it up a bit.

http://fiddledeeids.com/

Hi Kaity,

I have all ready seen their jewelry. I prefer the 24/7 medical record service. You never know when you are going to need that service. Plus, medical personnel do not pay much attention to other stuff.

Where do you put your information in your jewelry?

I personally prefer the 24/7 medical record service as well. I also like the family notification that Medic Alert offers.

Its not my jewelry, a friend of mine wears an ID from this place. I was checking it out yesterday and thought I would share the link. My friend has allergies and that information is engraved on the back. My concern with the ones from that site is that they look like jewelry jewelry and that medical personnel may not notice it, or notice it to late. She said she has never found that to be an issue. She said she personnaly likes the fact that they look more like a normal bracelet, makes her feel less like shes walking around with a HUGE sign for everybody to look at and wonder "oh whats wrong with her".

I want to remind people that MedicAlert around the world have Assistance Programs or Sponsored Memberships that pay for half or all of the membership fee and id. In Canada, children age 4-14 can qualify for free membership and id through the "No Child Without" program. Although not yet in every school this program is growing daily. Each country has some type of assistance program and this is due largely because of the generosity and tireless work of Lions Club members as well as countless others who donate as well. If someone can't afford the total cost of becoming a member a donation of any amount is always helpful and I can assure you very much appreciated.

I was rushed to the ER last Sunday. They wanted to know what meds I was allergic too. I could not remember. I had a seizure and fell down and hit a marble table. I was bleeding all over the place. I am all right now.

Thanks to my MedicAlert, the ER doctors called up and was told all of the meds I was allergic too.

Back
Top Bottom