Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Skillefer

I can't believe that in this day and age someone would literally want to be "labelled" EPILEPTIC, it might not be as taboo in the States as it is in the UK, but don't you think it's a bit of a label, and one that a lot of us are trying to escape from, I was in an ambulance last week, and the paramedic said to me, are you a well known "EPILEPTIC" I was like AAARRRGGGHHH!!! No actually, I'm a Taurus! it is an awful word, and one that conjures up such awful medieval visions of witches and six headed possessed gorgons!! Maybe it's just me, but I would love to hear what others think. It would be more respectful to have The wearer of this badge has epilepsy. Let me know what you think eh?

Cheers Mate

Elaine x

I actually bought one for my son from stickyj.com. It is a small tag, with a watch type band so it can be replaced if torn up. He likes it and it doesn't look quite as conspicuous as the one on the chain. He actually had the dog tag looking one previously, but since it has his old medication on it, I opted to get him a new one.

Educate The Great Unwashed!!

I actually bought one for my son from stickyj.com. It is a small tag, with a watch type band so it can be replaced if torn up. He likes it and it doesn't look quite as conspicuous as the one on the chain. He actually had the dog tag looking one previously, but since it has his old medication on it, I opted to get him a new one.

Hi Hadley

I hope everyone could see the funny side of my reply about the stigma and ignorance attatched to epilepsy, worldwide I think, not just here in the UK. Of course, I really do think, especially with kids, that they need to have something on them that would let people know what the problem was, I just absolutely loathe and despise the word epileptic! It's like Heretic, lunatic, I think people put us all in the same category. Maybe it's just me, but you would not believe the ignorance and prejudice I've endured in the workplace over the last twenty odd years, I think anything to do with the brain and people think a. you're gonna be off sick every other day, and b. you won't be quick to learn the job, and c. you'll be on the floor every five minutes with your legs in the air, foaming at the mouth and peeing yourself!! (only on Friday nights!!! ha ha!!!) but seriously, we have to explode this myth, we have to educate "The Great Unwashed" epilepsy is nothing to be scared of.

I hope I haven't been on my high horse, and have a wicked weekend mate!

Cheers

Elaine xx

I DESPISE that term epileptic!

I have noted that in several of my older threads and in my profile. My Mom and Sister are both fighting cancer. No one calls them cancerics.

The worst IMO is when they link it to mental illness!!!

:soap:

I do not wear an alert tag, but it is not because of the stigma. I am just not into wearing accessories. I rarely wear a watch.

I guess if I found a gold colored chain I might wear that more often. :mrt:

I DESPISE that term epileptic!

I have noted that in several of my older threads and in my profile. My Mom and Sister are both fighting cancer. No one calls them cancerics.

The worst IMO is when they link it to mental illness!!!

:soap:

I do not wear an alert tag, but it is not because of the stigma. I am just not into wearing accessories. I rarely wear a watch.

I guess if I found a gold colored chain I might wear that more often. :mrt:

Hi Buckeyefan

I'm so glad you agree with me about that awful label "EPILEPTIC" I think that because it sometimes accompanies Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and other more severe disabilities, people actually don't realise that it can affect an individual on it's own, that's why I've lost eight jobs in my life, that's why I had a guy tell me... "You don't look like you have epilepsy!!!!" For Christ Sakes I said to him, well what am I meant to look like??!! I don't wear any id, I carry a card, but I, always the joker just wrote get me to a pub!! on mine, I remember in my childhood, way back in the sixties, one of the lads in our street had a sister, she had many illness's one of them was epilepsy, her mum and dad kept her on a mattress in the garage, we used to get taken in to file past her and have a look, it was bizzarre, she wore a padded helmet and had seizure after seizure, can you imagine the stigma attatched to epilepsy back then, she died very young, but I've never forgotten her, and my ideas of epilepsy were of course horrific! We have all got to talk to people and keep talking, I never ever make a secret of my condition, I'm quite proud to be me actually, and any opportunity I get to talk publicly I'm there like a shot!

It's your birthday soon isn't it you old fart? You'll never catch me up eh? Take care and have a great weekend mate!:bigsmile:

Cheers
Elaine x

Gee whiz, Elaine that must have been real jolt!! I am with you when it comes to dispelling myths. I got fired too, they said I looked like I was drunk or on drugs...I was, it was called Tegratol! Oh well I am now a stay at home wife and do what I want whenever I can. On bad days not so much, but on good days, look out....

I have worn for a long time. Mine has saved my life several times.:woot: :clap::e: I'll keep wearing mine. My medic-alert bracelet stays on all the time. :rock: They are real good to have especially when can't speak.

LOL....I agree with your earlier post....I try to laugh at epilepsy. :) When I get asked if I'm epileptic, I usually say, "No, I'm a Susan that happens to have epilepsy, as well as hypoglycemia, and hypothyroid issues...." The thing is, the label only has as much power as you give it. We call people with asthma asthmatics, so I understand why people call people with seizures epileptics. Because they figure if they can label it, it's easier to understand. And, I find that if I get angry about the label, it tends to confuse people and make them think I'm in denial. Whereas, if I laugh at the label, and crack a joke like, " What? You didn't feel like break dancing too??" It makes the people responding to the seizure more at ease. So the label of Epileptic doesn't really bother me....it's a word, and it only has as much power as I give it.....

As for my bracelet, I may have to add Hard of Hearing pretty soon.....who knows, maybe that'll buy me a couple of extra minutes when the EMT's are asking me those stupid questions "Where are you? Who are you? Do you know what just happened?" I've always wanted to answer them...."If you don't know where you are, we have problem. I know who I am, who are you? and If you don't know why you're here, then you might be in the wrong profession..." My hubby said I freaked him out once though...He kept asking me if I knew who he was. He asked it over and over. After a while I got a scared look on my face. In my mind, if he didn't know who he was, then how was he supposed to help me?? As I said...the ability to laugh is a good thing.

The thing is, how can we help educate people if we keep them in the dark? I proudly wear my Coping With Epilepsy t-shirt in public, and I definitely don't have issues wearing a bracelet.

Last edited:
LOL....I agree with your earlier post....I try to laugh at epilepsy. :) When I get asked if I'm epileptic, I usually say, "No, I'm a Susan that happens to have epilepsy, as well as hypoglycemia, and hypothyroid issues...." The thing is, the label only has as much power as you give it. We call people with asthma asthmatics, so I understand why people call people with seizures epileptics. Because they figure if they can label it, it's easier to understand. And, I find that if I get angry about the label, it tends to confuse people and make them think I'm in denial. Whereas, if I laugh at the label, and crack a joke like, " What? You didn't feel like break dancing too??" It makes the people responding to the seizure more at ease. So the label of Epileptic doesn't really bother me....it's a word, and it only has as much power as I give it.....

As for my bracelet, I may have to add Hard of Hearing pretty soon.....who knows, maybe that'll buy me a couple of extra minutes when the EMT's are asking me those stupid questions "Where are you? Who are you? Do you know what just happened?" I've always wanted to answer them...."If you don't know where you are, we have problem. I know who I am, who are you? and If you don't know why you're here, then you might be in the wrong profession..." My hubby said I freaked him out once though...He kept asking me if I knew who he was. He asked it over and over. After a while I got a scared look on my face. In my mind, if he didn't know who he was, then how was he supposed to help me?? As I said...the ability to laugh is a good thing.

The thing is, how can we help educate people if we keep them in the dark? I proudly wear my Coping With Epilepsy t-shirt in public, and I definitely don't have issues wearing a bracelet.
Hey your very smart we are ourselves created different and unique. We may not like what we have or are dealt but we are who we are not by choice!

Having epilepsy is not that bad. I have faced death four times. You'll never know when it's your turn to go. I'm not trying to upset of offend anybody.

You are not upsetting or offending.
Your story is as important as anyone elses. I am sorry about your near death experiences. I have never faced it. My oldest son has.. he fell off of a 40 ft cliff.

We all live with our struggles, some more than others. It is up to all of us to educate those that don't understand, encourage those that do, and continue to believe that tomorrow will offer us more special moments.

Robin,
I agree with you. We need to educate all those that don't understand. Again I agree with you.

I will get one when I need one. My son should have one though. Maybe it is time to get one. Teresa

nope

somebody told me i should think about wearing one. i almost went into a violent rage, but thats just me when it come to people talking to me about seizures , i just cant stand it for some reason, maybe i just need to grow up a little but , whatever

Hi Buckeyefan

I'm so glad you agree with me about that awful label "EPILEPTIC" I think that because it sometimes accompanies Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and other more severe disabilities, people actually don't realise that it can affect an individual on it's own, that's why I've lost eight jobs in my life, that's why I had a guy tell me... "You don't look like you have epilepsy!!!!" For Christ Sakes I said to him, well what am I meant to look like??!! I don't wear any id, I carry a card, but I, always the joker just wrote get me to a pub!! on mine, I remember in my childhood, way back in the sixties, one of the lads in our street had a sister, she had many illness's one of them was epilepsy, her mum and dad kept her on a mattress in the garage, we used to get taken in to file past her and have a look, it was bizzarre, she wore a padded helmet and had seizure after seizure, can you imagine the stigma attatched to epilepsy back then, she died very young, but I've never forgotten her, and my ideas of epilepsy were of course horrific! We have all got to talk to people and keep talking, I never ever make a secret of my condition, I'm quite proud to be me actually, and any opportunity I get to talk publicly I'm there like a shot!

I also HATE the word epileptic. I know it's just a word, but one little word can cause a person such grief. I had a similar experience to Elaine's...when I was a freshman in highschool, I had a friend whose little brother had epilepsy so severely that he had half his brain removed (at least that's what I was told). He had the mental capacity of an infant, was unable to care for himself in any way, had to have a feeding tube, etc. I can remember going to her house, and he was always laying on a quilt in the middle of the living room floor. Everyone just walked around him, like he was a peice of furniture! That was the first thought that flashed through my mind when I was told I had epilepsy. I was one of the ignorant...

As for the bracelet, I don't wear one. I've thought about it, but decided not to since I'm well controlled, and if I'm going to have a sz, I get an aura and have complex partials (which may or may not lead to a t/c). I can usually tell if I'm gonna have a t/c... I know I've got about 15 minutes to find a 'safe' place, or to tell someone.

I rember waking up in the ambulance after my first t/c, the medic was asking me if I knew where I was. I was so irritated. I answered "In an ambulance, idiot"...He was suppose to be taking care of me, and he didn't know where we were, even with the lights and sirens on...

Got one and it has saved my life a couple of times cause it has information what doctors number and what i have. That way er new what meds i took as i was out of it and they did not now what blood levels to check for. They also need to know what meds i was not suppose to have. It has what pharmacy i go to also.
Some people think my braclet is a watch. I don`t think it looks like a watch band but some who don`t now a medic alert band do.

View attachment 98 Nancy

Last edited:
I don't wear a medic alert bracelet or neck lace .I once ask a paramedic if he ever looked at them he said no.
If they don't checkthem what's the use in wearing them..:ponder:

Belinda

Last edited:
I do. On my wrist. I once saw a punk rock band and the singer (Keith Morris and if you know who he is you'll understand why I'm leaving out the name of his band in a family forum) was wearing one. I figured if he'd wear one, I would to. I was also in a punk band and I've always hoped someone in the audience with a medical problem would see me with one and would wear one too. Most people ask what I'm allergic to (and besides saying "ipecac" which is a one-liner I stole from a friend) I say I'm epileptic.

I do take it off or hide it with a watch when I'm on a job interview. They're unfamiliar with them in India so I explain it's a Western good luck piece that says I'm epileptic and that it gets ignored in Califoria as well. I say I'm from California which helps in foreign nations since Bush has given us all a horrible reputation, but they like Americans in India.

This reminds me to email MedicAlert and register my Medjet number (travel insurance that will fly me and my bike home) if I get in an accident. I doubt I will, but traffic here is the worst I've ever seen. I've heard it's worse in Afghanistan and Pakistan but I don't see how.

-Dave
riding round the world on an old motorcycle
Currently in: India

Last edited by a moderator:
We wear bracelets in our family for different conditions. My older daughter states on hers,
'Meds: Strong coffee (NOT Instant)' ;)

On a more serious note, I wonder if all parents of young children with a more serious condition shouldn't wear a bracelet or necklace alerting medics to their child's condition.

I would like to know that if I am sick or hurt and can't respond, that medics will be alerted to my son's need for immediate monitoring.

To that end, I always wear a bracelet or necklace that states my son's conditions, and personal details. It also says, "Where is he now? Monitor him" and includes a contact number for another family member.

Incidentally,I have found some quite pretty medical jewellry on American Medical ID. I have a gold coloured pendant and chain for one and a bracelet for my own details.

Back
Top Bottom