Medical Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Anyone use or heard anything good about Medical Marijuana for Epilepsy patients? I've watched a few documentaries on the benefits of it, and epilepsy was mentioned quite a few times. I can understand that it would be good because of its depressant properties and some other scientific stuff I don't know about (I'm in school to be an elementary school teacher, not a science teacher). Plus, despite its own side effects it doesn't have the HORRIBLE side effects that meds like Topamax or Keppra have. So I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share their opinion because I know this is a debatable topic. I live in a state where medicinal mj is legal so.

Its not "Medical" but Im definately a marijuana user. It helps me deal greatly with the side effects of these medicines I take. I recently was weaned off Topamax and my Keppra dosage upped to 3000 mg a day, if it werent for a joint or two here and there I personally believe I would have killed someone by now. It just helps me relax and it also gives me an appetite. I know Marinol (THC in pill form) is legal to prescribe in Fl, but they wont legalize medical marijuana?? I dont get it.

If you believe it will help you (I think it will) then by all means go for it. Just dont burn one at 7am before your students get to class :banana:

Last edited:
Yeah I believe that even if legally I'm allowed to use it for my condition, when I get a job as a teacher, I can be fired for it, no?

BigWill;127114 [QUOTE said:
I recently was weaned off Topamax and my Keppra dosage upped to 3000 mg a day, if it werent for a joint or two here and there I personally believe I would have killed someone by now. It just helps me relax and it also gives me an appetite. I know Marinol (THC in pill form) is legal to prescribe in Fl, but they wont legalize medical marijuana?? I dont get it.

I also take 3000 mgs. of Keppra daily along with 250 mgs Topamax daily. I don't do marijuana now that I have epilepsy, although years ago, before seizures, I did a few times. I feel it would exasperate my seizures. Now to fight off the anxiety, depression that goes with epilepsy/Keppra, I take an anti-depressant.

Anyway, check out this website:

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wo...juana-the-government-doesnt-want-you-to-know/

Yeah I believe that even if legally I'm allowed to use it for my condition, when I get a job as a teacher, I can be fired for it, no?

Im not too sure but that sounds like quite a touchy subject lol.

Cint thankyou for the link! I dont see how you can manage the dosage you describe, that sounds intense! I was on 2000 mg of Keppra and 150 mg of Topamax and that was bad enough. I would definately have to have something to take the emotional swings away and just put me in a chilled out mood, and for me that is Marijuana.

yea im on 1500 mg of Keppra, 600 mg of Lamictal and 400 mg of Topamax. I think the Topamax is the med that is killing me. Every side effect listed, common and uncommon it seems I have. Its tough. The only good thing about Topamax is that you don't gain any weight on it, nor do you get any headaches, but you hate everyone and everything, have no motivation; can't remember how to spell, can't add 1+1 without a calculator or even remember your birthday.

400 mg of Topamax??? Wow that is definately the highest dose ive ever heard of!! I definatley feel better since stopping the Topamax and feel as if my memory is starting to come back.

yeah. its a ton. and the side effects are terrible. i wanted to be put on anti-depressant to counter the mood swings of the topamax but my neurogolist said she couldn't for 2 reasons. 1, because i was too drugged up as it is and 2, because anti-depressants lower your seizure threshold. which i didn't know about. because i thought others with epilepsy were on anti-depressants

I agree there, the side effects from Topamax suck ass! Pretty much a mind eraser and it also made me tired as hell. I couldnt even count in my head or outloud sometimes. Whenever its time to pay something I just hand the waitress/cashier money and tell them to count it for me lol

thats funny. i find myself often doing that as well, but its a pain having to explain that its because of my meds that it makes it hard for me to count out things - in order to avoid ridicule.

i wanted to be put on anti-depressant to counter the mood swings of the topamax but my neurogolist said she couldn't for 2 reasons. 1, because i was too drugged up as it is and 2, because anti-depressants lower your seizure threshold. which i didn't know about. because i thought others with epilepsy were on anti-depressants

Sounds like you need a more experienced neurologist or a neuropsychiatrist. I'm on 2 AED's and an anti-depressant. Depression sometimes does accommodate seizure disorders. Some of the seizure medications are used for mood stabilizers.

From http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/neurobehav_conclusion

Neurobehavioral disorders can profoundly affect the lives of people with epilepsy. In general, the more frequent and more severe the seizures, the more likely that neurobehavioral disorders will develop. These disorders should be actively considered in evaluating patients with epilepsy - both at the first visit and follow-up. Many of these disorders such as anxiety, depression, and psychosis can be treated with medications. These and other disorders may also respond to behavioral and other nonpharmacologic therapies. Identification and treatment of cognitive and behavioral disorders can lead to significant improvements in quality of life.

~Reproduced and adapted with permission from Orrin Devinsky, M.D. and Epilepsia.

thanks. it definitely seems that way, cause my moods are so unpredictable. ill be depressed for hours on end then happy for about 5 mins then want to sleep my day away, then it will start over again

There are a lot of people in here on anti-depressants. I won't list their screen names here. I'm sure some will chime in. I had no idea that it lowered seizure threashold. I'd verify that with a lengthy, in-depth internet and research search.

I agree, sounds like you need a new neuro, and perhaps a neuro psychiatrist. They can sort all this out for you.

Hugs... hang in there.

It's illegal in my state but I do enjoy it alongside the meds my neuro prescribes. If it was legal here, I'd probably give up the pharmas completely. :woot:

Back
Top Bottom